Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is better, North Carolina or South Carolina?
North Carolina 42 53.16%
South Carolina 18 22.78%
I don't know 7 8.86%
Their about the same 12 15.19%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 11:35 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,724,200 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
You don't think that statement is a bit ridiculous?

That growth is tightly correlated with selling your soul?

No, it isn't ridiculous. Growth sucks pretty badly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2009, 11:44 AM

7,845 posts, read 20,801,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_factory View Post

Really? Growth sucks?

Ask people in places like Detroit and St. Louis if growth sucks. You might find out that the opposite of growth is what really sucks.

Old 12-29-2009, 12:14 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,300,881 times
Quote:

I'm still not understanding how growth correlates selling your soul. Can you give some specifics. Maybe I'm misunderstanding you.

Old 12-29-2009, 12:16 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,860,458 times
Quote:

Maybe you mean rapid growth. Modest growth isn't so bad.

Old 12-29-2009, 02:21 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,724,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Really? Growth sucks?
Really!

Quote:
Ask people in places like Detroit and St. Louis if growth sucks. You might find out that the opposite of growth is what really sucks.
Yes, severe declines probably suck worse, but I don't find that to be a meaningful comparison right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
Maybe you mean rapid growth. Modest growth isn't so bad.
Rapid growth is a major problem.

People who stand to benefit financially from rapid growth probably like it, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
I'm still not understanding how growth correlates selling your soul. Can you give some specifics. Maybe I'm misunderstanding you.
"Soul" is an abstract concept. "Growth" is tangible and easily measured.

When a forest is bulldozed and 20 acres of new vinyl tract homes are built, we can measure its positive impact on property taxes, incomes, and jobs. It is much harder to measure its impact on quality of life, like clean air, clean water, healthy ecosystems, friendly neighbors, politically informed voters, and just generally having a population that exhibits a lifelong interest in the land, the people, and the local way of life.

Last edited by le roi; 12-29-2009 at 02:36 PM..

Old 12-29-2009, 03:02 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,300,881 times
Quote:
Really!

Yes, severe declines probably suck worse, but I don't find that to be a meaningful comparison right now.

Rapid growth is a major problem.

People who stand to benefit financially from rapid growth probably like it, though.

When a forest is bulldozed and 20 acres of new vinyl tract homes are built, we can measure its positive impact on property taxes, incomes, and jobs. It is much harder to measure its impact on quality of life, like clean air, clean water, healthy ecosystems, friendly neighbors, politically informed voters, and just generally having a population that exhibits a lifelong interest in the land, the people, and the local way of life.
Ok. Now I see where you're coming from and I can agree with you on this. However, growth doesn't correlate to selling your soul, and soul is the abstract term you used not me. Bad growth and haphazard sprawl is bad. But growth is necessary and is quite beneficial. What we need for the Carolinas is smart growth. I like Portland's model but with less government oversight.

Old 12-29-2009, 04:52 PM

415 posts, read 1,209,966 times
Well if rapid growth is bad Iv never heard of the Raleigh area ever having any problems they have kept up quite well and they have the fast growing metro in the US.

Old 12-29-2009, 05:40 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,860,458 times
Quote:

So technically you're decrying sprawl, not necessarily growth. But unfortunately, that's the form the vast majority of growth takes these days. I think we may have reached a turning point with regard to sprawl, though. The next couple of years will reveal whether that's true or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefansanity View Post
Well if rapid growth is bad Iv never heard of the Raleigh area ever having any problems they have kept up quite well and they have the fast growing metro in the US.
It's not all peaches and cream there or here. Traffic congestion, pollution, etc. are all prices to pay for rapid growth in the age of sprawl. Those ill effects are easier to see in larger metro areas that have experienced rapid growth over the past several years like Atlanta, Phoenix, Dallas, Las Vegas, etc. Hopefully we'll learn from our mistakes sooner rather than later.

Old 12-29-2009, 06:06 PM

415 posts, read 1,209,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
It's not all peaches and cream there or here. Traffic congestion, pollution, etc. are all prices to pay for rapid growth in the age of sprawl. Those ill effects are easier to see in larger metro areas that have experienced rapid growth over the past several years like Atlanta, Phoenix, Dallas, Las Vegas, etc. Hopefully we'll learn from our mistakes sooner rather than later.
Well hopefully we do and we can make the best out of it instead! That way other cities in the future can look and see how we done it!

Old 12-29-2009, 09:01 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,409,881 times
Growth is fine, it's sprawl that sucks. You can have growth without sprawl.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City