Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2009, 03:38 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,452,056 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Could it possibly be that no one in Houston would have a need for a Mongolian-fur line leather bomber jacket when it barely gets below 40 degrees there on their coldest day in winter?

I would doubt the sanity (both economic and physiological) of anyone who purchased such a jacket for use in Houston.
Haha, incredible point. By the way who needs a $12,000 Mongolian fur jacket when you can get a cheap rat hat from Bob Sacamano?!

Though it may be of poor quality...even by rat hat standards.

Old 12-29-2009, 03:41 PM

141 posts, read 196,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by machiavelli1 View Post
So it comes down to 3 things we all (but 3) agree on

1) every major city has all these high end stores that NY does

2) NY'ers generally the feel the need to constantly show off clothes because of some inferiority complex

and

3) The NY'ers on this thread have traveled very little

So the real name of this thread should be " what city has the most residents that choose to show off high end clothing"
I think it has been established that every major cities does not have the high-end stores New York has. You just can't afford so you don't know what they are. Do you know what/who Tom Ford is? Martin Margiela? Dior Homme? Exactly.

And no, you don't have to spend thousands to look fashionable. There is a Topman and a Topshop in New York. They only have that in London. There are also lots of other cheap fashionable stores all over the city that they don't have in other cities like Oak NYC or Scoop, Marc by Marc Jacobs is pretty cheap. Nobody does cheap and fashionable like New York, London, etc.

Cheap "fashion" in most American cities is JCPenny and Sears.

Old 12-29-2009, 03:52 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,655,649 times
Default Thrift stores

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDGJFK View Post
I think it has been established that every major cities does not have the high-end stores New York has. You just can't afford so you don't know what they are. Do you know what/who Tom Ford is? Martin Margiela? Dior Homme? Exactly.

And no, you don't have to spend thousands to look fashionable. There is a Topman and a Topshop in New York. They only have that in London. There are also lots of other cheap fashionable stores all over the city that they don't have in other cities like Oak NYC or Scoop, Marc by Marc Jacobs is pretty cheap. Nobody does cheap and fashionable like New York, London, etc.

I used to go to a thrift store on the upper east side. A lot of the clothes there were from high end stores and never even worn with the tags still attached. They also had sample size clothes and shoes apparently donated by the designer. I am a very small size and could always find something very, very nice, and CHEAP.

Old 12-29-2009, 03:53 PM

631 posts, read 1,227,699 times
Quote:
OK; after picking myself up from laughter that some of you think Houston and Atlanta have shopping and fashion on the same caliber as New York City, I'd like to clear up a few things.

Yes - Houston, Dallas, hell, I'm sure even Phoenix has a Saks Fifth Avenue.

Here's how it works - stores like Saks Fifth Avenue have buyers that represent each market. These buyers go to showrooms, fashion week (New York, Paris, Milan) and select things to stock in each region.

To put it bluntly; Atlanta and Houston aren't fashionable cities, so the buyers from Saks Fifth Avenue Houston or Atlanta go into designer showrooms in New York and stock the cheapest most conservative things they know will sell in Atlanta. The buyers for New York are in New York, Milan and Paris Fashion week selecting the finest for New York.

Instead of a $12,000 Gucci Mongolian-fur lined leather bomber jacket they'll order for the New York City market, they'll stock some ghetto incredibly tacky low-end Gucci monogrammed windbreaker in cities like Houston. Instead of a high end Versace dress for women, they'll sock a much conservative much cheaper alternative. Instead of the $8,000 Burberry Prorsum wool trench, they'll order for the New York City market, they'll stock a low-rent lower-end Burberry and an ugly t-shirt so buyers in these low-rent markets can flash their Saks Fifth Avenue shopping bags with some cheap $100 ugly t-shirt and think they're "fashionable". Those aspirational buyers will feel all good and walk around like "Look at me, I'm shopping at Saks!"

Why? Because the fashionable high-end stuff will sell in a sophisticated market like New York, but it will not sell in aspirational market like Houston.

There is a reason Saks Fifth Avenue in Houston/Atlanta carry don't carry Gareth Pugh? No. Lanvin? No. Alaia? No. Rick Owens? No. Dior Homme? No. Balenciaga? No. Balmain? No. They only stock these items in the New York City locations and Beverly Hills.

Call your Saks in Atlanta/Houston and ask, "Do you carry Gareth Pugh"? They'll scratch their heads in bewilderment because they won't even know what it is.

Why, you ask? Those brands are far too upmarket for a downmarket city like Houston, while people in New York have the funds, the taste and the fashion-forwardness to splurge on these desinger purchases. Now you know why all the worldwide high end stores have flagships and showrooms in New York. Have you ever been into the four-story Gucci in New York City? Compare it with that tiny dingy location Houston Galleria Location which stocks the most laughable downmarket Gucci crap. There are five or six Prada Boutiques on the island of Manhattan. Not even one in the entire Houston. The New York market is by far the most profitable market when it comes to luxury and fashion merchandise.

For example, Giorgio Armani 5th Avenue New York:

Compare that to that dingy tiny hovel Giorgio Armani Houston Galleria. Even the designer stores in Los Angeles are lacking, unappealing and are nowhere as good as the ones in NY.

Not to mention New York City has boutiques that are exclusive to the United States - Jean Paul Gaultier, Tom Ford, Martin Margiela, Givenchy, Yohji Yamamoto, Kiton, Comme Des Garcons, Dior Homme (only one other in Beverly Hills), Zac Posen, etc etc. You will only find those in Paris, London and Milan.

New York is the mecca.

We know NYC holds it down when it comes to Shopping boutiques... Thats not the Arguement here. A city is a fashion capital because of ! boutiques @ modeling agencies. 3 fashions shows etc. Nyc is not fashion because people in NYC know how too dress that is not what makes a city a fashion capital.....

Your statment is somewhat true and not true because Miami has some of the same exclusive Boutiques like NYC the selections are not as wide.

Most people in NYC are shopping at ZARA H&M GAP CENTURY 21 MAcys. Express, Diesal Heritage Bloomies Nordtroms ETc every one in NYC isnt walking around with PRada bags Fendi bags. alot of the shopping is also done by tourist too so you have to take that into account.... But the point is we have access to those designers no alot of selections do not be last years stuff up to date merchandise just smaller selection thats it...

Old 12-29-2009, 03:53 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,199,026 times
Quote:

Step outside of your bubble and maybe you'll realize that fashion exists outside of NYC. The south have stores and boutiques that NYC doesn't have either; what is your point???

Old 12-29-2009, 04:05 PM

Leggings are back in style, again. Did that originate in the South? They started back in the 80s from Fame and the Dance culture. Where is that from? Atlanta? Miami? I don't think so.

Old 12-29-2009, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
Leggings are back in style, again. Did that originate in the South? They started back in the 80s from Fame and the Dance culture. Where is that from? Atlanta? Miami? I don't think so.
No; leggings originated back in the early centuries outside of the US.

Old 12-29-2009, 04:12 PM

Default Mayc's is not expensive

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
It has nothing to do with being on par with each other; it's the fact that you don't have to shop expensive to look good.
That is the point.

Old 12-29-2009, 04:12 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,929,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by machiavelli1 View Post
We all agree on 2 things

1) We all agree that MANHATTAN has great shopping and well dressed (generally) people

2) We all agree that Long Island is hick and people do not know how to dress there

Stop being such a hater on places you have never visited

Right, it's hick because there are 10 Walmarts on an island 130 miles long. But yet, Houston has 20 Walmarts alone. Who has the Walmart sense of fashion now???

Old 12-29-2009, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
That is the point.
I never said Macy's was expensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City