Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2009, 10:35 AM

1 posts, read 6,360 times

Advertisements

which one is the safest city and which one is the most dangerous?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2010, 09:15 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,547,924 times
NYC and DC are safest...Baltimore and Philly are way more dangerous!

Old 01-02-2010, 09:50 PM

3,391 posts, read 8,775,958 times
None of them has had an earthquake and the chance of mudslides are slim. They are all suseptable to hurricanes and tornados but not often. Also floods and fires are pretty rare. I guess they are all about equal.

Old 01-02-2010, 10:01 PM

457 posts, read 1,108,351 times
On average across cities as a whole, NYC is the safest by far.
There is a big big drop off....then DC or Philly (depending on crime) then Baltimore (most dangerous).

Of course, there is probably more variance within cities than across them. For example, Rittenhouse and Dupont are as safe as any area in NYC. And there are areas within Brooklyn and the Bronx that rival the worst areas within DC/Phil/Bal.

Old 01-02-2010, 11:05 PM

3,546 posts, read 8,559,551 times
Safety is completely relative and frequently neighborhood-to-neighborhood. Even in Baltimore, neighborhoods like Mt. Vernon and Fells Point are quite safe and free of crime. Manhattan is tremendously safe, but so are vast swaths of DC.

Old 01-03-2010, 10:51 AM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,728,847 times
NYC, then like the other person said, there is a huge drop off, then i would "guesstimate" DC, Philadelphia, Baltimore in that order. i know that the last three could be switched but NYC is definitely the safest out of the four.

Old 01-03-2010, 11:03 AM

3,391 posts, read 8,775,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
NYC, then like the other person said, there is a huge drop off, then i would "guesstimate" DC, Philadelphia, Baltimore in that order. i know that the last three could be switched but NYC is definitely the safest out of the four.
But NYC is the closest to the ocean. With global warming it will flood first.

Old 01-03-2010, 11:08 AM
eek

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryson662001 View Post
But NYC is the closest to the ocean. With global warming it will flood first.
you have a higher chance of catching a bullet in the other cities than you do in nyc.

didn't know this thread was about natural disasters...??

Old 01-03-2010, 11:12 AM

196 posts, read 614,007 times
It just says "safest/most dangerous"... so bryson's right, natural disasters qualify. Hey, how about car accidents? Probably a drunk driver is more dangerous to the average person than a street hood.

Old 01-03-2010, 11:18 AM
eek

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFriendlyGod View Post
It just says "safest/most dangerous"... so bryson's right, natural disasters qualify. Hey, how about car accidents? Probably a drunk driver is more dangerous to the average person than a street hood.
what i said still stands.

you have a higher chance of getting shot in the head in the other cities than you do experiencing a natural disaster in nyc. period.

don't be foolish.

lol @ the thought of nyc being more dangerous to live in because of the possibility of an *extremely* rare earthquake or hurricane (or global warming which ppl are now trying to call global climate change) killing us all in comparison to the high crime that dc, philly and baltimore have.

which should we worry about more if you had to live in one of these cities today. global warming killing you by night time or getting touched walking from your building to the train station in a rough area of either of the cities on the list??

and car accidents by a drunk driver, etc. classify as crime. nyc has a lower crime rate than any of the other cities mentioned. so...again, nyc is the safest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City