Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 12:04 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,865,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mescal View Post
And how is Detrit a dissapointment? Did you expect the city to flourish in 2009? As far as LV and Phoenix are concerned, how do those cities fit the bill? Based on what events or facts?
Detroit simply continues to be a disappointment. Out of the things you listed for Chicago, the only thing that's really "new" was the failed Olympics bid. The city has been known for its crime rate and political corruption for some time now. And "Blagogate" actually started in 2008.

If you don't know how Las Vegas and Phoenix fit the bill, then I'm not sure where you've been while the housing market in this country was going to hell in a handbasket.

Numbers Tell Sad Story For Vegas Economy - Las Vegas News Story - KVVU Las Vegas

Phoenix economy among nation's weakest - Phoenix Business Journal:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2009, 12:14 PM

2,598 posts, read 4,924,801 times
Quote:
The failed bid for the Olympics was the most publicized and internationally recognized Chicago failure but of course adding other factors like rampant crime and internationally infamous Blagogate / widespread corruption makes Chicago an even stronger contender for the title of the biggest dissapointment city of 2009. Even much more than Detroit of which, let's be honest here, nobody expected much anyway...
You sound a lot like Dementor.

Old 12-30-2009, 12:19 PM

37 posts, read 34,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
Yes, it is my opinion. And Detroit's problems were certainly very well known prior to this year.

But to attempt to paint Chicago as worse off than Detroit is beyond ridiculous. It's actually laughable.
You misunderstood, I did not paint Chicago as worst then Detroit.
I am hoewver saying that Chicago provided a lot dissapointments in 2009 while Detroit simply continued to slide. Dissapointment implies higher, not met, expectations and did you really expect Detroit to flourish in 2009?
I don't think so hence Detroit did not provide any real dissapointments in 2009. Chicago's failed Olympic bid and Blagogate, on the other hand, did just that.

Old 12-30-2009, 12:19 PM

1,561 posts, read 2,257,732 times
LOL @ these threads. People always give their opinions like their asked to do, and some people just can't stand their city not being liked by someone so these threads start into a debating war.

The Chicago losing the Olympics bid was a disappointment, it just was. To me, it doesn't make it the biggest disappointment city, but when there's that much hype involved and your the first city to get outed, it's a disappointment. It doesn't matter if the people of the city had much to do with it or not. This thread doesn't ask for that, it asks "Biggest disappointment city of 2009", and the OP states "on political, economical, cultural or urban development issues?". If someone feels Chicago is a disappointment for the failed Olympics bid, who cares?

I'm not a Chicago lover or hater by any means, but I get so annoyed when someone gives their opinion and suddenly people from that city start stupid debates.

Ugh sorry OP, sorry to rant and high jack this thread.

As for my answer, I'll have to go with Detroit. Unfortunately, Detroit didn't gain much ground in their recovery, and I find that to be a big disappointment.

Old 12-30-2009, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NowInWI View Post
You sound a lot like Dementor.
Is this a compliment or a critique?

Old 12-30-2009, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
Detroit simply continues to be a disappointment. Out of the things you listed for Chicago, the only thing that's really "new" was the failed Olympics bid. The city has been known for its crime rate and political corruption for some time now. And "Blagogate" actually started in 2008.

If you don't know how Las Vegas and Phoenix fit the bill, then I'm not sure where you've been while the housing market in this country was going to hell in a handbasket.

Numbers Tell Sad Story For Vegas Economy - Las Vegas News Story - KVVU Las Vegas

Phoenix economy among nation's weakest - Phoenix Business Journal:

No, I haven't and that's exectaly why I am not dissapointed by LV and Phoenix performance. It is part of the country wide housing crash and I don't think Phoenix is in much worse shape than Miami or the rest of Florida.
Detroit has been struggling and plagued by the same issues such as crime and unemplyment for years. Nobody who followed local politics and economy data was actually surprised by what happened in this city. Even the auto maker's fall started long before 2009.

Then again, evereyone is entitled to an opinion, you and I are not exceptions here... Let's not argue this any more...

Old 12-30-2009, 12:38 PM

721 posts, read 1,793,795 times
Quote:
Oh god. You're back.

Old 12-30-2009, 12:45 PM

284 posts, read 696,196 times
Quote:
The failed bid for the Olympics was the most publicized and internationally recognized Chicago failure but of course adding other factors like rampant crime and internationally infamous Blagogate / widespread corruption makes Chicago an even stronger contender for the title of the biggest dissapointment city of 2009. Even much more than Detroit of which, let's be honest here, nobody expected much anyway...
is this a joke i dont think losing to rio is a big disappointment what about the auto industries which is the only thing keeping Detroit on the map. lets see two of the big three going bankrupt is not a good thing i am not saying chicago had its best year but it is not above Detroit. come on.

Old 12-30-2009, 12:46 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,626,477 times
Quote:
It is most certainly not a compliment.

Old 12-30-2009, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobucks86 View Post
LOL @ these threads. People always give their opinions like their asked to do, and some people just can't stand their city not being liked by someone so these threads start into a debating war.

I'm not a Chicago lover or hater by any means, but I get so annoyed when someone gives their opinion and suddenly people from that city start stupid debates.
It is funny, isn't it? All of a sudden you can't mention any publicly known facts or data without someone being offended by it. How can you be offended by facts and opinions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dncr View Post
Oh god. You're back.
^^^ That's exactly what I meant, thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City