Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 12:50 PM

37 posts, read 34,463 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLake View Post
It is most certainly not a compliment.
Is staying on topic too much to ask in this forum?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2009, 12:58 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,626,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mescal View Post
Is staying on topic too much to ask in this forum?
I don't know-- you tell me. You asked a question and I answered it. Would think you'd be appreciative yet instead you were rude.

Old 12-30-2009, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLake View Post
I don't know-- you tell me. You asked a question and I answered it. Would think you'd be appreciative yet instead you were rude.

Yup, it seems that staying on topic is way too much to ask...

Old 12-30-2009, 01:36 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,805,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gobucks86 View Post
LOL @ these threads. People always give their opinions like their asked to do, and some people just can't stand their city not being liked by someone so these threads start into a debating war.

The Chicago losing the Olympics bid was a disappointment, it just was. To me, it doesn't make it the biggest disappointment city, but when there's that much hype involved and your the first city to get outed, it's a disappointment. It doesn't matter if the people of the city had much to do with it or not. This thread doesn't ask for that, it asks "Biggest disappointment city of 2009", and the OP states "on political, economical, cultural or urban development issues?". If someone feels Chicago is a disappointment for the failed Olympics bid, who cares?

I'm not a Chicago lover or hater by any means, but I get so annoyed when someone gives their opinion and suddenly people from that city start stupid debates.

Ugh sorry OP, sorry to rant and high jack this thread.

As for my answer, I'll have to go with Detroit. Unfortunately, Detroit didn't gain much ground in their recovery, and I find that to be a big disappointment.

Of course it was a disappointment that Chicago wasn't chosen to host the Olympics. But someone earlier characterized the situation as a failure...it certainly wasn't that Chicago "failed" - it made the final four over many other world cities. But the final outcome was definitely disappointing to me and to many other Americans.

Old 12-30-2009, 03:27 PM

2,785 posts, read 6,631,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
Detroit\ Cleveland for economic trouble.

Chicago for corrupt politicians [except Pres. Obama & could be put in the plus column for Obama rally in Grant Pk

New Orleans for slow recovery

Phoenix\ Las Vegas\ Miami\ LA for housing crisis
Cleveland? With Cleveland Clinic, University Hospitals, the Banks based there, and plenty of fortune 500 companies, Cleveland has a diverse economy and an unemployment rate below the national average.

Detroit on the otherhand is too dependant on the auto industry, and we all know where that is going. That is why their unemployment rate sits at over 20%.

Old 12-30-2009, 03:43 PM

4,027 posts, read 7,288,050 times
Quote:
Admittedly I was wrong about the USOC nomination yet the bid was never taken too seriosuly here and there was no support from the federal administration like in case of Chicago's bid. New York's bid never even had the local support as Chicago's both from the financial and popular vote standpoint. Again, I hope New York will never get to host the Olympic games, especially since providing airtight security in this city seems to be unrealistic.
Anyways. The op asked about 2009 here, right? Do you know a city that fits the bill of the biggest dissapointment of 2009 better than Chicago?
Let's recap:
1) Rampant crime
2) Widespread and publicized corruption (Blagogate)
3) Failed Olympic bid
You know nothing of what goes on in Chicago other than what you hear on tv. Blagojevich is a state employee for one and saying that Chicago failed the Olympic bid is like saying a team that made it to the AlCS or NLCS failed.

Quote:
In your opinion. I think that Detroit's problems with crime and unployment were widely known well before 2009.
In the truth of the matter.

Old 12-30-2009, 04:24 PM

737 posts, read 1,176,703 times
Poor Detroit and Cleveland are getting smashed

Old 12-30-2009, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thePR View Post
You know nothing of what goes on in Chicago other than what you hear on tv. Blagojevich is a state employee for one and saying that Chicago failed the Olympic bid is like saying a team that made it to the AlCS or NLCS failed..
Oh, c'mon, spare me your PR spin on reality... There can only be one city hosting the Olympics so there are no silver and bronze medals in this competition just in the presidential race there is no second or third place... Either you win or you lose. Chicago lost despite an incredible support from Obama and his administration. Big dissapointment.

Blagoyevich married into one of powerful Chicago political families and then as a governor even declined moving to the governor's mansion downstate so he could spend more time in Chicago. Part of Chicago's political landscape. Investigated and arrested by Chicago's feds. Now tell me I only know what I hear on TV... Cut the PR b/s, PR...

Last edited by mescal; 12-30-2009 at 06:27 PM..

Old 12-30-2009, 06:02 PM

2,314 posts, read 4,797,732 times
Quote:
As far as LV and Phoenix are concerned, how do those cities fit the bill? Based on what events or data?
Did you watch the news at all for the past year and a half?

Two words: Housing bubble.

There is no single city that disappointed in 2009. Our entire country disappointed me in 2009 with the economy simply getting worse.

And mentioning the Olympic bid as Chicago's failure? Please.

Old 12-30-2009, 06:15 PM

1,160 posts, read 2,960,053 times
Lets not kid ourselves, every big US city was a disappointment this year. Whether it was bad politics, high unemployment rates, terrible job markets, or a housing crisis, every city sucked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City