Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 10:24 AM

1,308 posts, read 4,116,607 times

Advertisements

SAN JOSE. It is the capital of Silicon Valley, so you know it must be futuristic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2010, 10:33 AM

4,515 posts, read 9,655,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
I agree to disagree with your post , New York City only has 20 to 30
years to hold the Number One Position here in America , and how can
a "city be " Futuristic with building constructed 200 or 300 years ago??????
NYC is the most futuristic city int he US today because it looks very futuristic. NYC is very urbanized. If a city have a lot of farms, that is not futuristic because there is nothing there.

Tell me this doesn't look futuristic?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdyY6...eature=related

Old 02-02-2010, 11:12 AM

2,943 posts, read 5,040,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
NYC is the most futuristic city int he US today because it looks very futuristic. NYC is very urbanized. If a city have a lot of farms, that is not futuristic because there is nothing there.

Tell me this doesn't look futuristic?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdyY6...eature=related
Needlessly wasting copious amounts of electricity in order to illuminate a bunch of advertisements doesn't seem very futuristic to me.

Old 02-02-2010, 01:31 PM

2,413 posts, read 5,720,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
Needlessly wasting copious amounts of electricity in order to illuminate a bunch of advertisements doesn't seem very futuristic to me.
It would to someone who is still in grade school.

Old 02-02-2010, 01:41 PM

515 posts, read 981,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
I live in NYC and love NYC... but I think its far from the most "futuristic" city in the U.S.

In fact, I don't think there really are any futuristic cities in the U.S., if I had to chose one it would maybe be parts of LA or Las Vegas.

Old 04-23-2010, 04:28 AM

185 posts, read 731,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLABoyJ View Post
Just a thought. I have not been out west so I don't really have a say so in what city I think is futuristic. Most of you all that have traveled and seen cities and know which companies are where and what all the geographical regions offer in terms of growing and expanding! I personally am from Central Florida (Orlando) and I see many great things happening here but what might be some other cities???
Well, I have lived out west in both L.A. and San Francisco and have been to Seattle. I've been to several other U.S. cities as well. My choice is MIAMI! MIAMI! MIAMI! I'll explain below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbarn View Post
In fact, I don't think there really are any futuristic cities in the U.S., if I had to chose one it would maybe be parts of LA or Las Vegas.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post
Also for looks I would say Miami looks like it but its transit system is not up to the challenge.
Yes, most of Miami's skyscrapers were built in the 21st century, but it is not only for looks that I chose Miami in spite of its mass transit system which certainly could be better. Many people knock Miami's new skyline and 3rd largest skyline in the U.S. status because so many of our new skyscrapers are giant condos or mixed-use projects, but getting more people to LIVE VERTICALLY LIKE THE JETSONS is the wave of the future, especially with the planet's ever growing population and urban sprawl encroaching more upon the natural environment. People living in the sky among the clouds always has been a futuristic concept, but so many of you just don't get it. Giant condos and mixed-use projects in the CBD that are virtually self-contained cities unto themselves where people can live, work, and play all in the same complex or all within the CBD without having to commute anywhere always has been a futuristic idea and this is where Miami is going, especially not having the mass transit system that other cities have. Our first giant condo built here in Miami was the Santa Maria in 1997 at 51 stories at 520. My first thought was "That looks like a place where the Jetsons would live and would be a great setting for a live-action movie about the Jetsons."

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2150/...4a07cf09_b.jpg

Last edited by JMT; 02-20-2020 at 08:58 PM..

Old 05-02-2010, 12:37 AM

3,717 posts, read 8,146,662 times
Definitely Miami, have you seen some of the buildings in the city? They look like they could have flying cars and spaceships flying around them, its like a jetson city, pretty cool.

Old 05-02-2010, 12:40 AM

Lol @ I just said all that and quantomx said the same things right above me. Great minds think alike :-)

Old 05-02-2010, 12:44 AM

I totally agree with you quantomx...I myself have actually tried to explain to people who say "Miami's skyline is just a bunch of condo's" that Miami is taking a New York and Chicago approach to it's city. What I mean by New York and Chicago approach is that Miami is going in the same direction where there are a lot of places to live downtown instead of just office buildings where you go to work and then drive back out into the suburbs to live.

Old 05-02-2010, 12:46 AM

185 posts, read 731,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clean_polo View Post
Lol @ I just said all that and quantomx said the same things right above me. Great minds think alike :-)
I hate repeating myself like the old man I'm fastly becoming, but guys, I've been a skyscraper aficionado before many of you were born, and I've studied skyscraper history and architecture as a hobby for 35 years. I've collected postcards and picture books of various cities for all these years, and I've actually watched other American cities as they've gone through their various booms over the past 30 years, so I do know a little something about what I'm talking about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City