Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of these American cities do you believe has a worldwide influence?
Philadelphia 31 19.25%
Boston 45 27.95%
New York City 127 78.88%
Providence 2 1.24%
Austin 3 1.86%
Chicago 78 48.45%
Seattle 23 14.29%
Los Angeles 110 68.32%
San Francisco 73 45.34%
Salt Lake City 5 3.11%
Albuquerque 5 3.11%
St. Louis 3 1.86%
Houston 34 21.12%
Minneapolis 4 2.48%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 161. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-30-2009, 10:01 AM

353 posts, read 812,719 times

Advertisements

Houston is very much known for the mexicans.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2009, 10:03 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,835,332 times
I've been overseas a bunch of times, and happened to travel with people from other cities while being shuttled places (airport, hotel, etc). When the local who's driving us asks where we're from, the cities recognized the most were NY, LA, SF, Chicago. That's about it.

Old 12-30-2009, 10:23 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,035,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native17 View Post
Houston is very much known for the mexicans.
South Americans. We only have a large mexican population because we're located fairly close (8 hours) from the Mexico border compared to other major cities.

Old 12-30-2009, 10:29 AM

7,411 posts, read 10,318,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
From the cities on the list I would say:

Tier 1:

New York City - Financial Services industry, corporate power, cultural influence.

Los Angeles - Movies/Entertainment industry, never-ending line of dumb spoiled rich whores with their own reality show

Chicago - Financial Services industry (CME), corporate power

Tier 2:

San Francisco: High-Tech/Biotech industry, Financial Services industry

Boston: Education (Harvard, MIT), Financial Services industry, High-Tech/Biotech, Medical Research

Houston: Oil, Medical Research
"never-ending line of dumb spoiled rich whores with their own reality show" -

Old 12-30-2009, 10:32 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,588,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
I've been overseas a bunch of times, and happened to travel with people from other cities while being shuttled places (airport, hotel, etc). When the local who's driving us asks where we're from, the cities recognized the most were NY, LA, SF, Chicago. That's about it.
I think there is a difference between what is recognized and known.

Just about all of the major metro areas (the top 10) in the US are going to be known worldwide. But not all are influential. I travel overseas every 4-6 weeks and when I say I live in Dallas, every single person without exception knew where it was and had heard of it. But that being said, I dont think Dallas influences the world enourmously besides the fact that it has a bunch of immigrants from other countries here and DFW airport. Hence the difference between being know and being influential.

This thread is tough because Washington DC, the capital of the US and one of the capitals of the free world isnt on the list of choices, but a cities like Austin and Salt Lake City which dont really have any influance on the world are.

Here are the cities that I think have the most influence on the world:

1) NYC
2) LA
3) Chicago
4) Miami
5) San Francisco

Old 12-30-2009, 10:33 AM

6,625 posts, read 14,391,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native17 View Post
^^ The only cities that contribute significantly to the rest of the world is New York City and to an extent Los Angeles

you would be surprise of how many people just don't know about Chicago... I know it's a big deal for this country but I just don't think it's as big of a deal to the rest of the world...

I'm sorry I'm having a hard time understanding, does the OP mean significantly worldwide influence as in well known or significantly worldwide influence as in what the city provides for the world? or both?
Anyone in the corporate world knows about Chicago...especially if you're in the Financial Services industry. The Chicago Mercantile Exchange has a solid stranglehold on the derivative/commodity markets worldwide.

San Fran is probably more well-known than Boston and Houston internationally...but I think they're probably still relatively well-known around the world.

Old 12-30-2009, 10:53 AM

5,429 posts, read 14,775,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john_starks View Post
lol, yeah that and the fact that it's one of the big texas cities. people
abroad seem to know texas pretty well . it also attracts a lot of foreign students...then you have the space center.
Yes, I think the state of Texas is likely known more abroad than the individual cities within it.

Re: the Space Center in Houston... "Houston" was the first word spoken from the moon, and most of those abroad who have any interest in the subject of US space travel (or have seen movies like Apollo 13) would know about it.

Old 12-30-2009, 10:57 AM

1,595 posts, read 2,972,621 times
I voted NYC, LA, and hesitantly Chicago.

But why the odd list of choices?

The list contains some smaller, less significant cities such as Austin, Providence, SLC, and Albuquerque but leaves off DC, Dallas, Atlanta, Miami, Denver, Baltimore, etc.

Old 12-30-2009, 10:57 AM

4,230 posts, read 10,436,379 times
NYC & LA.

The rest maybe known worldwide, but do they necessarily influence the way of like for the average person outside of the U.S.

Old 12-30-2009, 11:04 AM

353 posts, read 812,719 times
Actually Miami and Houston, more Miami significantly influence the economy of Central and South America, more so than Mexico City or Sao Paolo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City