Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2009, 07:15 AM

1,791 posts, read 3,180,185 times

Advertisements

Assuming i hate cold and windy weather, how would you say the East coast winter compares with Colorado? How about the spring and fall? I do not like getting cold and rainy weather in the spring when it is supposed to be nice out! Anyway, I have seen a lot of people on the Denver forum posting about how mild the weather is out there, and it really surprised me.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2009, 08:30 AM

1,904 posts, read 3,987,200 times
After growing up in Massachusetts and spending years in Baltimore and Cleveland, I'll take a Colorado winter over an east coat or midwest winter.

There is far less humidity so it feels less cold. 30 degrees in Denver can feel relatively mild if the sun is out - which it most often is. Yes, it snows. Yes it gets cold. And we will get snow late (May maybe even early June some years.) But you don't get that 4 months of gray like you see back east and you rarely get early spring cold rain.

Old 12-31-2009, 10:32 AM

726 posts, read 2,147,061 times
Redsoxfan is right but I would add one thing, the weather in Colorado is nuts! While in general it is way warmer and definitely way sunnier (I think it's something like over 305 days of sunshine!) the weather can be extreme. For example, in November you might get 3 days in a row where it's around 70 then the next 2 days you get a snow storm, then the next three days are back in the 60-70's and so forth. In the early summer you can have a day that's completely beautiful, then in about 30 min a thunderstorm can roll in that can scare the living crap out of you and then an hour later it's beautiful again.

But overall way better than the gray and gloom of East coast.

Old 12-31-2009, 04:47 PM

1,791 posts, read 3,180,185 times
Thank you for this good insight.

Old 12-31-2009, 05:06 PM

71 posts, read 80,828 times
When you say east coast, you need to be specific as to the city.

I believe that Philly is warmer than Denver, but I could be wrong.

Old 12-31-2009, 05:34 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,321,600 times
As far as average high temperatures go, Denver is on par with Philly/NYC/DC for every month. Denver's average low temperatures are a good 10 degrees below that of Philly/NYC/DC. Denver also has lower precipitation so I don't think you have to worry too much about rainy Spring days.

So overall Philly is warmer than Denver (only because of the low temps).

Old 01-01-2010, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by choosing78 View Post
Redsoxfan is right but I would add one thing, the weather in Colorado is nuts! While in general it is way warmer and definitely way sunnier (I think it's something like over 305 days of sunshine!) the weather can be extreme. For example, in November you might get 3 days in a row where it's around 70 then the next 2 days you get a snow storm, then the next three days are back in the 60-70's and so forth. In the early summer you can have a day that's completely beautiful, then in about 30 min a thunderstorm can roll in that can scare the living crap out of you and then an hour later it's beautiful again.

But overall way better than the gray and gloom of East coast.
Oh yeah, it's absolutely crazy!! It hit 60 last January and it snowed close to 2 feet in mid-April!

Old 01-01-2010, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
As far as average high temperatures go, Denver is on par with Philly/NYC/DC for every month. Denver's average low temperatures are a good 10 degrees below that of Philly/NYC/DC. Denver also has lower precipitation so I don't think you have to worry too much about rainy Spring days.

I'd argue that the "feels like" low temperatures are even due to the sunshine and low humidity in CO.

Old 10-29-2011, 06:16 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,693,806 times
Not sure about Philly, but if the weather is anything like NYC, then Denver blows Philly away imo!

Old 10-29-2011, 06:20 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,496,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post

As far as cold goes, I always go by the average LOWS in judging a place as well as # of days below 10 and # of days below 0 ...not the highs. When most people get up to go to work in the morning, that is usually the low of the day in the winter, 6-7am. My advice, pay attention to the average low.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City