U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-31-2009, 12:19 PM
 
Location: Jersey City
6,146 posts, read 15,137,671 times
Reputation: 4905

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladarron View Post
They show on the news every year which state is losing population and gaining population!
But again, what they show on the news is just domestic migration. Most of those states are gaining population thanks to birth rates and international immigration. Only MI and RI have fewer people in 2009 than they did in 2008. CA, NY, NJ, etc. have more people living in them now than ever before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-31-2009, 12:22 PM
 
71 posts, read 54,385 times
Reputation: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
But again, what they show on the news is just domestic migration. Most of those states are gaining population thanks to birth rates and international immigration. Only MI and RI have fewer people in 2009 than they did in 2008.
That is exactly what i thought.

I knew Michigan would be losing. Also, any number of states such as 2 or 3 randomly thrown in unexpected. Thanks for clearing everything up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-31-2009, 12:24 PM
 
Location: St Paul, MN - NJ's Gold Coast
5,256 posts, read 11,389,674 times
Reputation: 3067
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLABoyJ View Post
Okay you say Florida is losing Residents on one list and then gaining on another. Uhhhh which is it for Flroida? its the only state I see on there twice LOL
Florida had a rough couple of years with it's economy.
People move there with such high hopes, and a lot of people move there just to end up moving out after facing the truth while there's a lot of people with the same high hopes still moving into the state all at the same time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-31-2009, 12:25 PM
 
Location: Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex
3,261 posts, read 7,528,840 times
Reputation: 678
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantabuckhead View Post
That is exactly what i thought.

I knew Michigan would be loosing. Also, any number of states such as 2 or 3 randomly thrown in unexpected. Thanks for clearing everyhting up.
Why are you making a big deal out of this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-31-2009, 12:29 PM
 
71 posts, read 54,385 times
Reputation: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladarron View Post
Why are you making a big deal out of this?
I am not. I am simply trying to understand what states are truly losing people.

First, you posted in the OP without even a link to the actual article.

Second, you did not say what the study interpreted. Therefore, I had to drag this information out of you and other posters.

I am not making a bigl deal out of anything. I don't like it when someone says my home state is losing people and it's clearly gaining overall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-31-2009, 12:31 PM
 
Location: Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex
3,261 posts, read 7,528,840 times
Reputation: 678
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantabuckhead View Post
I am not. I am simply trying to understand what states are truly losing people.

FIrst, you posted in the OPp without even a link to the actual article.

Second, you did not say what the study interpreted. Therefore, I had to drag this information out of you and other posters.

I am not making a big deal out of anything. I don't like it when someone says my home state is losing people and it's clearly gaining overall.
OMG!!!!! If your state is losing people you can't do nothing about that! That's just the way it is!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-31-2009, 12:32 PM
 
Location: Jersey City
6,146 posts, read 15,137,671 times
Reputation: 4905
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantabuckhead View Post
I am not. I am simply trying to understand what states are truly losing people.

FIrst, you posted in the OPp without even a link to the actual article.

Second, you did not say what the study interpreted. Therefore, I had to drag this information out of you and other posters.

I am not making a big deal out of anything. I don;t like it when someone says my home state is losing people and it's clearly gaining overall.
I agree. The OP leads you to believe those states are drying up, which simply isn't true. More people live in most of those states now than ever before. The only thing they're losing is congressional seats, because other states are growing faster and making up larger slices of our nation's congressional pie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-31-2009, 12:36 PM
 
71 posts, read 54,385 times
Reputation: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladarron View Post
OMG!!!!! If your state is losing people you can't do nothing about that! That is just the way it is!
But, you are not explaining what the study is fully interpreting. It's not taking into accounts births, deaths, or immigration.

The only reason why you posted this is to brag about Texas.

Are you wearing a "everything is bigger in Texas" tshirt while doing this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-31-2009, 12:38 PM
 
Location: ☀ ѕυnѕнιne ѕтaтe ☀
1,417 posts, read 2,671,023 times
Reputation: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantabuckhead View Post
But, you are not explaining what the study is fully interpreting. It's not taking into aaccounts births, deaths, or immigration.

The only reason why you posted this is to brag about Texas.

Are you wearing a "everyhting is bigger in Texas" tshirt while doing this?


LOL Nice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-31-2009, 12:40 PM
 
Location: Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex
3,261 posts, read 7,528,840 times
Reputation: 678
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantabuckhead View Post
But, you are not explaining what the study is fully interpreting. It's not taking into aaccounts births, deaths, or immigration.

The only reason why you posted this is to brag about Texas.

Are you wearing a "everyhting is bigger in Texas" tshirt while doing this?
Are you serious!!! Why would I brag about Texas everyone knows that Texas has a large population!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:53 AM.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top