Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2010, 03:28 PM

4,716 posts, read 8,574,330 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by expect View Post
Wachovia financial building in huntington, West Virginia:
That's the Ryugyong Hotel in Pyongyang, North Korea.

I vote for the Kaden Tower in Louisville. (No offense to Louisville, but it's the ugliest building I've seen in America.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2010, 03:29 PM

4,574 posts, read 7,499,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgyeldell View Post
The HUD building in Downtown Atlanta is really ugly.
I disagree. It has a somewhat retro look to it. Definitely rare in Atlanta. I like it.

Old 01-01-2010, 03:44 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,762,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expect View Post
Wachovia financial building in huntington, West Virginia:
Wow West Virginia has one of America's tallest buildings! i never knew!! This is in Keyser, West Virginia! I love it! And it's getting a reclad too! Not that it sat without any cladding whatsoever for more than 15 years or anything

The Infamous Ryugyung Hotel on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/27342863@N03/4166277983/in/set-72157622831529547/ - broken link)

Old 01-01-2010, 05:46 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,897,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ifeeldope View Post
Why is everyone getting there panties all bunched up about that building in Dallas. IMO, i thought is was ugly. For what im used to(northeastern and midwestern cities) Dallas has no density comparable and that picture posted up of the building didnt help support your argument. Putting up pictures of Dallas's skyline at a good angle doesnt help the fact that Dallas has sup-partial density. Also remember these three letters so this doesnt get out of hand....IMO
I'll tell you why people have a problem with someone saying that the BoA Plaza in Dallas is ugly....

It's not just a big glass box. It has shape and looks like a totally different building from different angles. It's a great example of post modern architecture.
Also, you have to keep in mind that Texas and skyscrapers in Texas are new compared to what you see in the northeast and most parts of the midwest, so you see a different overall style in the skylines of these sunbelt cities. Just because it's not art deco or beaux arts, doesn't mean that it's not good architecture.
ALOT of people like that building and other skyscrapers in Texas. And it may just be your opinion, but you have to remember..... there are people out there who don't like it.

Old 01-01-2010, 06:02 PM

3,260 posts, read 8,762,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
I'll tell you why people have a problem with someone saying that the BoA Plaza in Dallas is ugly....

It's not just a big glass box. It has shape and looks like a totally different building from different angles. It's a great example of post modern architecture.
Also, you have to keep in mind that Texas and skyscrapers in Texas are new compared to what you see in the northeast and most parts of the midwest, so you see a different overall style in the skylines of these sunbelt cities. Just because it's not art deco or beaux arts, doesn't mean that it's not good architecture.
ALOT of people like that building and other skyscrapers in Texas. And it may just be your opinion, but you have to remember..... there are people out there who don't like it.
It does look different from different angles!

Photos removed by moderator due to copyright issues. Read the room sticky posting guidelines please.

Last edited by atlantagreg30127; 01-02-2010 at 08:35 PM..

Old 01-01-2010, 06:56 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,863,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ifeeldope View Post
Why is everyone getting there panties all bunched up about that building in Dallas. IMO, i thought is was ugly. For what im used to(northeastern and midwestern cities) Dallas has no density comparable and that picture posted up of the building didnt help support your argument. Putting up pictures of Dallas's skyline at a good angle doesnt help the fact that Dallas has sup-partial density. Also remember these three letters so this doesnt get out of hand....IMO
But what does the density of the built environment have to do with the general attractiveness or lack thereof of a tower? If you think BOA Plaza is ugly, that's your opinion. But I don't get throwing unrelated facts into the discussion.

Old 01-01-2010, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
Wow West Virginia has one of America's tallest buildings! i never knew!! This is in Keyser, West Virginia! I love it! And it's getting a reclad too! Not that it sat without any cladding whatsoever for more than 15 years or anything

The Infamous Ryugyung Hotel on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/27342863@N03/4166277983/in/set-72157622831529547/ - broken link)
I didn't know people in Keyser, West Virginia spoke Korean.:

Old 01-01-2010, 07:10 PM

Yep. They have a very large Korean Population. The skyscraper itself is in the Korean district! Keyser is such a worldly city

Old 01-01-2010, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
Yep. They have a very large Korean Population. The skyscraper itself is in the Korean district! Keyser is such a worldly city
And they have light real too. Oh boy, I need to go visit there.

Old 01-01-2010, 07:22 PM

TOTALY! I encourage all to go to it. Its international airport is near downtown, connected by the light rail.

Isn't it just too funny how the first person to post this beautiful building in keyser mistook it for Huntington?? People of Keyser get so mad when they are mistook for Huntington.

A little more of the city

Keyser, West Virginia on Google
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City