Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you like better?
St Louis 77 35.65%
Denver 139 64.35%
Voters: 216. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 11:06 PM

2,848 posts, read 6,435,178 times

Advertisements

Funny. I posted a reply to this thread the day it was started. Then waited day after day for someone else to reply but nothing. So I figured no one was interested in comparing St Louis to Denver and it was a dead thread. Then I check back in on it now and it's 12 pages long.

I guess that's the power of City Data?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2010, 06:37 PM

1,521 posts, read 3,597,415 times
Comparing St. Louis crime statistics to any other city is APPLES to ORANGES. Please try to understand this. I've lived in the St. Louis area for almost 30 years and have never been a victim of any crime nor have I even seen one. I spend very much time in the big bad most dangerous city and live only feet from it's border. It is no more dangerous than almost any other top 50 metro.

Denver is a really cool town and being near the mountains is a huge bonus. St. Louis is also near some very beautiful landscape. The ozark plateau, mountains (big hills), the current river are all very beautiful.

The weather in Denver sucks, so does the altitude.

Old 01-10-2010, 03:57 PM

1,066 posts, read 2,071,537 times
Yeah 50's and 60's in January is a bummer! As opposed to the lou in the Summer? No contest. Better weather in Denver! More sunny days, BLUER skies than almost anywhere in the US! Real drag let me tell ya!

Old 01-10-2010, 04:03 PM

1,124 posts, read 3,592,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MilehiDenver View Post
Yeah 50's and 60's in January is a bummer! As opposed to the lou in the Summer? No contest. Better weather in Denver! More sunny days, BLUER skies than almost anywhere in the US! Real drag let me tell ya!
Wait, are you talking about Denver? Since when has Denver been in the 60's in January? The January average is 43F/16F.

Old 01-10-2010, 04:15 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,003,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronstlcards View Post
Wait, are you talking about Denver? Since when has Denver been in the 60's in January? The January average is 43F/16F.
I've been in Denver in Jan and Feb. I remember quite a few days being over 70 degrees (chinook winds)

The the next day, however it would be below freezing.

The weather in Denver is just as crazy as it is here in St. Louis.

Old 01-10-2010, 04:29 PM

Denver hit's the 60's at least a few times every winter! 50's today and the rest of the week! And yes, 70's sometimes as well.

Old 01-10-2010, 05:20 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,363,453 times
Quote:
Denver hit's the 60's at least a few times every winter! 50's today and the rest of the week! And yes, 70's sometimes as well.
That happens in St. Louis, too. Overall their winter temps are quite similar, not drastically different. And its no fun to wear shorts one day, then shovel 12" of snow the next, like it does in Denver at times. St. Louis' winter temps are far more stable, and they dont get near the amount of snow that Denver gets, and they certainly dont get it in October or April either.

Old 01-10-2010, 07:49 PM

You get ice storms which we do not! nah nah nah

Old 01-11-2010, 12:11 AM

2,943 posts, read 5,071,664 times
Quote:
Denver also gets blizzards as early as October and as late as June. In the Midwest the snow stops by mid-March and doesn't begin again until at least late November.

Old 01-11-2010, 09:34 AM

1,521 posts, read 3,597,415 times
Last October, St. Louis was named a Bicycle Friendly Community by the League of American Bicyclists, in the top 15 cities in the United States.

The St. Louis metro area is really making strides to become a more bikable area. In fact, a few years back a sales tax increase was put into effect to help complete buildout of the great vision for the confluence greenway. Here is a map of some of the trails along with some additional info from an article in the St. Louis Post Dispatch last month. So far 150 of the 640 miles of trails and on street bike lanes have been completed.

Quote:
The $12.5 million in bridges and boardwalks connect segments of the River Ring, a planned 640-mile network of linear parks around the region.

The bridges and boardwalks are essential to the plan because they connect geographical areas that are separated by natural and man-made barriers, Fisher said.

Boardwalks create routes through marshes and wetlands such as the three-quarter mile walk from the Missouri Research Park to the Katy Trail in St. Charles County. Or they rise above places unfriendly to walkers and bikers, such as railroad tracks or muddy flood plains.

The bridges span creeks, ditches and rivers.

Voters in Missouri and Illinois created the Metropolitan Parks and Recreation District when they approved the Clean Water, Safe Parks and Community Trails Initiative in November 2000. One of the aims was to beautify the region to spur economic development.

The package included a tenth-of-a-cent sales tax to fund projects in the city of St. Louis and the counties of St. Louis, St. Charles, St. Clair and Madison.

The tax consistently has generated 90 percent of the agency's annual budget — about $10 million from Missouri and $2 million to $3 million from Illinois. The remainder of the budget comes from grants and local contributions.
So far, 150 miles of greenway trails, including 79 miles of on-street bikeways, have been completed, GRG officials said. After the structures are built, the government agency where the greenways and trails are situated maintain them, Fisher said.
Last October, St. Louis was named a Bicycle Friendly Community by the League of American Bicyclists, in the top 15 cities in the United States.
link (http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/news/stories.nsf/stlouiscitycounty/story/59F335091ECB2EE58625769800043193?OpenDocument - broken link)

unfortunately this map does not show all of the trails on the IL side.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City