Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you like better?
St Louis 77 35.65%
Denver 139 64.35%
Voters: 216. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2010, 07:30 PM

5,888 posts, read 12,967,840 times

Advertisements

Denver
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2010, 07:58 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,765,829 times
Sorry brickmama, but gotta go with Denver.

I love St Louis, but Denver would probably be my number one city to live in. I still plan to live there before I die!

I have yet to find a city I like better than Denver and a state better than Colorado.

Old 01-03-2010, 09:03 PM

1,124 posts, read 3,586,213 times
I honestly think mountains are over-rated, maybe becuase I'm young and unappreciative but I just do .

Anyway, I have actually spent time in Denver and really enjoyed my time there. It had a pretty nice downtown for a city of its size and I really thought the 16th (?) street mall walk was really cool.

BUT, I don't like the high altitude at all and the cold would kill me (not that St. Louis isn't brutally cold). I'm also a lot more familiar with St. Louis. Right now i'd say St. Louis, but maybe spending a little but more time in Denver could sway my view.

Old 01-04-2010, 01:19 AM

1,416 posts, read 3,202,024 times
Denver - More sports and the Mountains!

Old 01-04-2010, 12:46 PM

2,943 posts, read 5,054,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brickmama View Post
I was wondering what everyone thinks about the 2 cities since they are roughly the same size. Which one do you prefer? The criteria is urban landscape (density), variety of neighborhoods, things to do (sports, museums, arts, outdoor activities, etc) history, character, and culture.
The only category Denver tops St. Louis in is outdoor activities, otherwise St. Louis is better for every thing else.

Old 01-04-2010, 02:11 PM

5,888 posts, read 12,967,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
The only category Denver tops St. Louis in is outdoor activities, otherwise St. Louis is better for every thing else.
I really don't think you have ever been away from Saint Louis.

The weather in Denver is just as crazy as it is here. I can remember it being 80 degrees in February for a week then dropping to below freezing almost over night.

The nightlife is awesome. Denver has a great sports scene: Broncos, Rockies, Avalance, Nuggets, Rapids (More than St. Louis). A cool arts scene, museums out the wazoo and a zoo that compares very favorably to the one in Saint Louis (point to Saint Louis).

Plus the Rocky mountains are about 1/2 hour away with some of the best skiing and hiking in the country.

What a lot of people don't realize about Denver is that it is a Plains City that it is relatively flat. I was also amazed that there were not a lot of trees (as I expected) in the metro area.

I don't know if I could live there (I really need to be around large bodies of water, and Lake Dillon and the Cherry Creek Reservoir just don't cut it) But given the choice between Denver and St. Louis, I'll take Denver,

Old 01-04-2010, 02:22 PM

1,066 posts, read 2,066,038 times
To the poster above (jjacob). Yeah right!
How about:
Weather
Sporting events (more pro teams)
Bigger , busier downtown with more to do!
bigger tourism city
bigger airport
better skyline
FAR FAR safer!
better schools
less run down!
I could go on and on, but I realize that you ALWAYS knock on Denver in every post you have ever responded on so it is probably useless! But everyone knows that Denver will prevail in this post as well as almost every other post in which it is pited against another city! How about Denver versus milwaukee! I have plenty of thoughts on that one!

Old 01-04-2010, 02:28 PM

749 posts, read 1,786,066 times
I'd have to go with Denver also.

Old 01-04-2010, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
I really don't think you have ever been away from Saint Louis.

The weather in Denver is just as crazy as it is here. I can remember it being 80 degrees in February for a week then dropping to below freezing almost over night.

The nightlife is awesome. Denver has a great sports scene: Broncos, Rockies, Avalance, Nuggets, Rapids (More than St. Louis). A cool arts scene, museums out the wazoo and a zoo that compares very favorably to the one in Saint Louis (point to Saint Louis).

Plus the Rocky mountains are about 1/2 hour away with some of the best skiing and hiking in the country.

What a lot of people don't realize about Denver is that it is a Plains City that it is relatively flat. I was also amazed that there were not a lot of trees (as I expected) in the metro area.

I don't know if I could live there (I really need to be around large bodies of water, and Lake Dillon and the Cherry Creek Reservoir just don't cut it) But given the choice between Denver and St. Louis, I'll take Denver,
You have no clue what you're talking about. I was born in Grand Junction and have lived off and on in Denver for 13 years (approx. half of my life), most recently from July 2004 to December 2008. I know quite a bit more about Denver than you or damn near anybody else on this forum does. People always seem to think I'm bashing Denver by saying another city is better than it. I simply feel like Denver is way overhyped and doesn't deserve nearly as much credit as its given.

Here's the original criteria listed in the OP:

urban landscape (density)
St. Louis 5,724.7/sq mi
Denver 3,905/sq mi

variety of neighborhoods
Denver doesn't have as much variety in its neighborhood architecture as St. Louis. Outside of the core neighborhoods like Capitol Hill, Wash Park, and Highlands the majority of Denver is ugly ranch style homes built after WWII. Also, the only real ethnic presence you see in Denver is from the huge numbers of Latinos who live there, otherwise you don't see much in the way of ethnic neighborhoods. St. Louis seems to have more ethnicities represented.

things to do (sports, museums, arts, outdoor activities, etc)
Denver has more sports teams, but the fans aren't as loyal as St. Louis fans. The only sport St. Louis is missing is an NBA team, so they're not doing too bad. St. Louis has better museums and fine arts than Denver. People in Denver are too focused on what's outside of the city to really support a thriving arts scene. St. Louis is home to great universities like Washington University and St. Louis University, while Denver only has the University of Denver.

history

How many Olympics and/or World's Fairs have been hosted in Denver?

character
St. Louis has more character due to having more history and being prominent for a longer period of time.

culture
Denver doesn't have a distinctive culture to speak of, it's very Sun Belt-ish in this way. It's not quite the American Southwest, it's not quite a Great Plains city, and it's not really a Rocky Mountain city. St. Louis has a long and colorful history, first as a French fur trading post and later a Mississippi River port that was incredibly important to the nation's development.

Old 01-04-2010, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilehiDenver View Post
To the poster above (jjacob). Yeah right!
How about:
Weather
Sporting events (more pro teams)
Bigger , busier downtown with more to do!
bigger tourism city
bigger airport
better skyline
FAR FAR safer!
better schools
less run down!
I could go on and on, but I realize that you ALWAYS knock on Denver in every post you have ever responded on so it is probably useless! But everyone knows that Denver will prevail in this post as well as almost every other post in which it is pited against another city! How about Denver versus milwaukee! I have plenty of thoughts on that one!
Hey D-Town 720, how's it going? Long time no see. What happened, did your other account get banned? I'm pretty sure having multiple usernames/accounts is against the TOS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City