U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Which has a better skyline?
Atlanta 196 52.27%
Miami 179 47.73%
Voters: 375. You may not vote on this poll

 
 
Old 01-02-2010, 07:26 PM
 
Location: Long Island/NYC
11,231 posts, read 15,972,818 times
Reputation: 6017

Advertisements

To me both cities have great skylines but Miami is still the undisputed #3 in the U.S. (after NYC & CHI), I choose Miami. Miami's location gives it a boost (by the ocean, mostly sunny, etc.)

 
Old 01-02-2010, 07:35 PM
 
4,055 posts, read 3,917,011 times
Reputation: 2868
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post
Yes it is. Just because Atlanta has a few buildings that are taller than Miami's tallest building does not mean Atlanta is taller. Miami has many more buildings than Atlanta.
Mami has more buliding in it's skyline but is not taller than Atlanta's. Atlanta has 3 buliding taller than Mami first, Bank of America Plaza, SunTrust Plaza and One Atlantic Center all are taller than Mami's tallest the Four Seasons Hotel Miami. Than Atlanta's 4th tallest buliding the 191 Peachtree Tower is taller then Miami's 2nd the Wachovia Financial Center. Atlanta's 5th tallest buliding the Westin Peachtree Plaza Hotel is taller than Miami 3rd Marquis Residences & Hotel. Last Atlanta's 10th tallest buliding 1180 Peachtree is taller than Mami's 4th the 900 Biscayne Bay.

Quote:
I do expect Atlanta to win this poll though due to two things. Many people hate on Miami.
And many people do not like Miami's new condo look which is fine thats just personal opinion.

But nothing beats a skyline on the water, Atlanta is just in the middle of land.
That is the most raddom thing to say a skyline is not better just cause it's near water. Than people hate on Atlanta too for other reasons so don't even play that card. You don't even know how this poll will turn out. It's basically Miami's density and more towers Vs. Atlanta's architecture and height.
 
Old 01-02-2010, 08:16 PM
 
Location: Pasadena
883 posts, read 1,890,041 times
Reputation: 435
Well Atlanta only has 15 completed buildings over 500 ft, while Miami has 28 completed buildings over 500 ft. So in some ways, it is taller.

Atlanta may have some taller buildings , but they even out at, and eventually Miami is taller. Atlanta's 15th tallest is the SAME height as Miami's 14th & 15th tallest at 554 ft. After that, Miami is unquestionably taller. And this is only ranking completed and topped off buildings.

ATL has taller buildings, but MIA has more tall buildings. So Miami, can be seen as taller in some ways.

Depends on how you choose to interpret height comparisons.
 
Old 01-02-2010, 08:27 PM
 
Location: ITP - City of Atlanta Proper
7,763 posts, read 11,465,782 times
Reputation: 5344
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthmoreAve View Post
Well Atlanta only has 15 completed buildings over 500 ft, while Miami has 28 completed buildings over 500 ft. So in some ways, it is taller.

Atlanta may have some taller buildings , but they even out at, and eventually Miami is taller. Atlanta's 15th tallest is the SAME height as Miami's 14th & 15th tallest at 554 ft. After that, Miami is unquestionably taller. And this is only ranking completed and topped off buildings.

ATL has taller buildings, but MIA has more tall buildings. So Miami, can be seen as taller in some ways.

Depends on how you choose to interpret height comparisons.
Yeah, but Miami suffers from not having any supertalls. It's highest is 794 feet. Atlanta has 3 buildings taller than that, and another supertall is waiting in the wings once the final design and financing is worked out. 1400 Peachtree is expected to be 20 stories higher than the BofA tower.
 
Old 01-02-2010, 08:37 PM
 
Location: Pasadena
883 posts, read 1,890,041 times
Reputation: 435
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Yeah, but Miami suffers from not having any supertalls. It's highest is 794 feet. Atlanta has 3 buildings taller than that, and another supertall is waiting in the wings once the final design and financing is worked out. 1400 Peachtree is expected to be 20 stories higher than the BofA tower.
I thought Miami had a 900 footer u/c, and two 800 footers, one 700 footer, two 600 footers, and two more 500 footers.

That would help it look taller, and it has 3 supertalls proposed or approved.

Now i dont know if this is still accurate or not, but thats what i got from right now.
 
Old 01-02-2010, 08:46 PM
 
Location: ITP - City of Atlanta Proper
7,763 posts, read 11,465,782 times
Reputation: 5344
I should also say that while Miami has a nice skyline, it has always struck me as a bigger version ofBuckhead. This is especially true since most of the skyscrapers in Buckhead are condos just like Miami. Nothing in Miami compares to the size and grandeur of the Atlanta CBD (Downtown/Midtown) (1)(2)(3)(4 (http://www.midtownmile.org/Images/mile.jpg - broken link))
 
Old 01-02-2010, 09:08 PM
 
4,055 posts, read 3,917,011 times
Reputation: 2868
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthmoreAve View Post
Well Atlanta only has 15 completed buildings over 500 ft, while Miami has 28 completed buildings over 500 ft. So in some ways, it is taller.

Atlanta may have some taller buildings , but they even out at, and eventually Miami is taller. Atlanta's 15th tallest is the SAME height as Miami's 14th & 15th tallest at 554 ft. After that, Miami is unquestionably taller. And this is only ranking completed and topped off buildings.

ATL has taller buildings, but MIA has more tall buildings. So Miami, can be seen as taller in some ways.

Depends on how you choose to interpret height comparisons.
I said Miami has More building, but the height of the skylines with in Atlanta's top 10 vs Miami's top 10 Atlanta's 4th tallest is taller than Miami's 10th. The rest after that has more to due with the number of buliding Miami has. If you want to say Miami is taller outside the top ten go a head. But if you compare Atlanta's tallest vs Miami's tallest straight up, Atlanta is taller.
 
Old 01-02-2010, 09:57 PM
 
Location: Pasadena
883 posts, read 1,890,041 times
Reputation: 435
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
I said Miami has More building, but the height of the skylines with in Atlanta's top 10 vs Miami's top 10 Atlanta's 4th tallest is taller than Miami's 10th. The rest after that has more to due with the number of buliding Miami has. If you want to say Miami is taller outside the top ten go a head. But if you compare Atlanta's tallest vs Miami's tallest straight up, Atlanta is taller.
Likewise, Miami's 30th tallest would be tied for Atlanta's 16th tallest. Im not disputing ATL's top 10, or top 15 tallest buildings, because they are obviously taller than Miami. Im just stating facts. Going down the list of tallest buildings, Atlanta then stop's being so tall. And the reason im focusing outside the top 10 is because 10 buildings dont make up a skyline, but if you feel like that doesn matter, than thats your perspective, and i wouldnt want to argue about that.
Quote:
If you want to say Miami is taller outside the top ten go a head.
And thats exactly what Im saying. Either way, i choose Atlanta's over Miami. Just look at that condo architecture!
 
Old 01-02-2010, 10:21 PM
 
4,055 posts, read 3,917,011 times
Reputation: 2868
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthmoreAve View Post
Likewise, Miami's 30th tallest would be tied for Atlanta's 16th tallest. Im not disputing ATL's top 10, or top 15 tallest buildings, because they are obviously taller than Miami. Im just stating facts. Going down the list of tallest buildings, Atlanta then stop's being so tall. And the reason im focusing outside the top 10 is because 10 buildings dont make up a skyline, but if you feel like that doesn matter, than thats your perspective, and i wouldnt want to argue about that.
Quote:
I said Miami has More building, but the height of the skylines with in Atlanta's top 10 vs Miami's top 10 Atlanta's 4th tallest is taller than Miami's 10th. The rest after that has more to due with the number of buliding Miami has. If you want to say Miami is taller outside the top ten go a head. But if you compare Atlanta's tallest vs Miami's tallest straight up, Atlanta is taller.
You just reinforce what I just said, Miami 30th tallest is not one the tallest buliding in Miami, Atlanta 16th is not one of the tallest buliding in Atlanta. I said If you want to say Miami is taller outside the top ten go a head. but Atlanta's tallest vs Miami's tallest straight up, Atlanta is taller.
 
Old 01-02-2010, 11:03 PM
 
Location: Jacksonville,Florida
3,772 posts, read 9,234,463 times
Reputation: 1971
Quote:
I love this view of Miami

SkyscraperCity - View Single Post - QuantumPX
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top