Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which has a better skyline?
Atlanta 196 52.27%
Miami 179 47.73%
Voters: 375. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 07:50 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,798,987 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
I didn't mean that ATL is ALL Gothic architecture. I just mean, ALOT of ATL's signature buildings wouldn't fit in Miami's environment. And Hong Kong isn't like Miami, Honk Kong doesn't have the same tropical Caribbean feel that Miami has, which INSPIRED the type pf architecture you see in Miami's skyline. Miami's is a tropical, vacation, Latin American, Resort City. The pastel colored highrise condominiums are very fitting of what type of city Miami is. Colorful buildings, Colorful lights.
You mean like this one, made of rose-colored granite? But, ironically, it's in Atlanta...
ATLGP on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/atlantanative/2326077118/ - broken link)

Or this Midtown condo tower? Very Miami-like, but in Atlanta...
1010 Midtown - Atlanta, Georgia on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/apexdv/2904758128/ - broken link)

Or this Buckhead condo tower? Also very Miami-esque...
Sovereign13 on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/55462207@N00/3046906198/ - broken link)

Or any of these colorful condo towers, also in Atlanta...
Lenox Sky on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/ellsberry/2274712759/ - broken link)

It seems that Miami-style architecture is commonly found in other cities, but the variety of Atlanta architecture gives the skyline a much more unique look and feel. There are many Atlanta highrises that would fit right into the Miami skyline, and vice-versa.

Last edited by JMT; 12-02-2012 at 02:59 PM..

Old 01-04-2010, 08:00 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,923,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nat of the ATL View Post
Does anybody think that Miami can keep up this building craze, even after the recession ends? Personally, I doubt it, or I at least see many other cities doing so before Miami. I beleive that Miami has, unfortunatley, overbuilt and now needs to fill up what it already has.Miami was centered too much on housing and condos, and a big industry was tourisim. As far as that goes, places based on tourisim can go through major ups and downs.

Not that I don't like Miami, because I would really like to see it again. However, right now, the future doesn't look quite as bright.
Miami is planning like 3 supertalls, that will propell the skyline even higher in rankings. I don't think the Miami skyline has a dim future.

Old 01-04-2010, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
You mean like this one, made of rose-colored granite? But, ironically, it's in Atlanta...

ATLGP on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/atlantanative/2326077118/ - broken link)

Or this Midtown condo tower? Very Miami-like, but in Atlanta...

1010 Midtown - Atlanta, Georgia on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/apexdv/2904758128/ - broken link)

Or this Buckhead condo tower? Also very Miami-esque...

Sovereign13 on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/55462207@N00/3046906198/ - broken link)

Or any of these colorful condo towers, also in Atlanta...

Lenox Sky on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/ellsberry/2274712759/ - broken link)

It seems that Miami-style architecture is commonly found in other cities, but the variety of Atlanta architecture gives the skyline a much more unique look and feel. There are many Atlanta highrises that would fit right into the Miami skyline, and vice-versa.
Good point. But I don't see why everyone is tripping over all the condominiums and highrises in downtown Miami. It may look monotonous in the day, but at night the difference in the Miami buildings REALLY start to show because they light up differently. Miami has PLENTY of different buildings, they just don't get recognized in the sea of highrises. But with a couple of the new supertalls being planed Miami will have 5 or 6 new MORE recognizable building, PLUS all the density it has now.

Old 01-04-2010, 08:12 PM

228 posts, read 460,026 times
Quote:
Miami is planning like 3 supertalls, that will propell the skyline even higher in rankings. I don't think the Miami skyline has a dim future.
I didn't mean dim, I just meant that they can't regain the pace that they had before.
Also, just because some buildings are planned, it doesn't meant that they will get built.

Old 01-04-2010, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nat of the ATL View Post
I didn't mean dim, I just meant that they can't regain the pace that they had before.
Also, just because some buildings are planned, it doesn't meant that they will get built.
They have a 908 ft, a 828 ft, and a 809 ft under construction, and they have a 1,049 ft approved.

Old 01-04-2010, 08:55 PM

Quote:
They have a 908 ft, a 828 ft, and a 809 ft under construction, and they have a 1,049 ft approved.
For the record, I like Miami's skyline...but it seems to be a lot of repetition, at least compared to Atlanta's.

Keep in mind that "approved" towers are sitting and waiting to be built in cities all over the U.S. There are probably a dozen or more approved in Atlanta at the moment.

Old 01-04-2010, 08:57 PM

Quote:
For the record, I like Miami's skyline...but it seems to be a lot of repetition, at least compared to Atlanta's.

Keep in mind that "approved" towers are sitting and waiting to be built in cities all over the U.S. There are probably a dozen or more approved in Atlanta at the moment.
Miami has plenty of approved also, those are just some of the examples of the giants there building.

Old 01-04-2010, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Miami has plenty of approved also, those are just some of the examples of the giants there building.
I'm sure there are lots of approved buildings in Miami as well...I was just saying that every city has approved towers at the moment that came along near the beginning of the economic downturn, and it's very questionable whether some (if any) of them will actually be built.

Old 01-05-2010, 02:45 PM

882 posts, read 2,244,491 times
Quote:

A dozen? Really, i would believe proposals, but it looks like ATL only has 4 projects approved.

Trump Towers, 50 Allen Plaza, TWELVE Centennial Park, and the Cityplace at Buckhead Towers.

The last one has 8 buildings, but its basically like approving one tower, because if one isnt approved, that generally means none of it is approved. All the towers are just one project.

Besides, the tallest approval is only 571 ft. Still tall, but not enough to make a notable impact, unless Cityplace is built, now theres an impact!!

Correct me if im wrong.

Old 01-05-2010, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthmoreAve View Post
A dozen? Really, i would believe proposals, but it looks like ATL only has 4 projects approved.

Trump Towers, 50 Allen Plaza, TWELVE Centennial Park, and the Cityplace at Buckhead Towers.

The last one has 8 buildings, but its basically like approving one tower, because if one isnt approved, that generally means none of it is approved. All the towers are just one project.

Besides, the tallest approval is only 571 ft. Still tall, but not enough to make a notable impact, unless Cityplace is built, now theres an impact!!

Correct me if im wrong.
Do you search the forum for any possible error and post your idea of a correction? How fun that must be!

Note that I stated "probably" a dozen...which means that I was guessing. But I know there are others besides the four that you listed from the Wikipedia article.

Note also that I didn't mention anything about height, but I definitely disagree that a 500' building can most certainly make a notable impact on the Atlanta (or most any other city) skyline.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City