Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2010, 07:03 PM

5,616 posts, read 8,650,170 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
This thread has done a good job of presenting someone so irritating that I have decided to completely write off a city utterly and completely without ever visiting. Augusta must be destroyed.
Hahahaha
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2010, 08:44 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,456,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
Texas Medical Center - Facts (http://www.texasmedicalcenter.org/root/en/GetToKnow/FactsandFigures/Facts+and+Figures.htm - broken link)
"As the largest medical center in the world, the Texas Medical Center is an internationally recognized community of healing, education and groundbreaking research. TMC is the home of many of the nation's best hospitals, physicians, researchers, educational institutions and health care providers."

I've worked in one of the research hospitals there. The district is like an entire downtown itself, larger than most cities' downtowns. In fact, it's said to be larger than downtown Dallas within a few years... I can't remember a time when there wasn't a crane there building something new.

In this photo, TMC is at the front. Downtown Houston is in the distance.
TMC and Longwood are the two leaders in the nation/world, and in that photo TMC looks pretty similar to Longwood in Boston. Don't tell nortonguy, but we're also getting a small hospital addition too (This one project, among others, is $300M and 425k sq ft of lab space)...I know we don't compare to Augusta, but I mean...we're alright.

Old 01-05-2010, 09:25 PM

2,744 posts, read 6,110,118 times
Bigger than downotwn Dallas? Hmm..No way!

Flickr Photo Download: Ever-growing Texas Medical Center (http://www.flickr.com/photos/rbrazile/4233082163/sizes/l/ - broken link)

Flickr Photo Download: Downtown Dallas from the Trinity River (http://www.flickr.com/photos/18361786@N00/3397086831/sizes/l/ - broken link)

Old 01-05-2010, 09:35 PM

2,023 posts, read 4,187,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweethomeSanAntonio View Post

Flickr Photo Download: Ever-growing Texas Medical Center (http://www.flickr.com/photos/rbrazile/4233082163/sizes/l/ - broken link)

Flickr Photo Download: Downtown Dallas from the Trinity River (http://www.flickr.com/photos/18361786@N00/3397086831/sizes/l/ - broken link)
It's bigger in sq ft not height, or at least it will be. I'm not sure if it's there yet.

Old 01-06-2010, 09:41 AM

5,429 posts, read 14,840,335 times
Quote:
Houston's Texas Medical Center May Outgrow Downtown Dallas - Bloomberg.com

Old 01-06-2010, 12:06 PM

2,744 posts, read 6,110,118 times
Possibly office space but not overall? I'm sure that doesn't include hotels, retail, overall downtown inventory. If so it will bigger than Dallas and Houston's CBD.

Old 01-06-2010, 12:23 PM

880 posts, read 2,861,769 times
Having gone to school at MCG and now working at the hospital there, I can say that it is pretty impressive for a city the size of Augusta. Augusta I would say, probably has the most impressive health care options for its size in the state of GA. But in the southeast, I would give that honor to either Houston or Raleigh-Durham.

Old 01-06-2010, 02:57 PM

882 posts, read 2,245,331 times
Quote:
Possibly office space but not overall? I'm sure that doesn't include hotels, retail, overall downtown inventory. If so it will bigger than Dallas and Houston's CBD.
Why do people always overreact at the fact that TMC is set to overtake DT Dallas, when it means just in office space(sq. ft) And i also think it doesnt take account in all "downtown inventory", because Dallas should still be bigger.

And it overtook/will overtake DT Dallas, but that doesn't necessarily mean it will overtake DT Houston. DT Houston is bigger than DT Dallas to begin with, but DT Dallas hasnt built any significant office space that allows it to constantly be growing.

DT Houston, on the other hand, has kept growing and kept building office towers. But, there is a chance that the TMC could overtake DT Houston as well if its construction rates would remain the same, but i just dont think TMC will grow forever.

And i know DT Dallas has gotten bigger, but not by much in the office category, plus look at its vacancy rates. Doesn't exactly point to a need for more office space.

Old 01-07-2010, 08:26 AM

164 posts, read 391,579 times
I would put the Medical District in Augusta behind Raleigh and Houston. I would probably put Augusta ahead of Atlanta and Birmingham.

Old 01-07-2010, 09:33 AM

17 posts, read 50,532 times
I've worked in Healthcare for the past 5 years. My niche has been directly working with and helping to improve quality in Healthcare. Now Augusta, GA is an important regional medical center and has a large burn/trauma center, but that doesn't make it the Medical Center of the South by any measure you use. In terms of Quality, it would be hard to outperform Emory Medical Center, they are world renowned and have people in their organization that travel the country sharing best practices. Texas Medical Center in Houston speaks for itself. Dallas has Baylor Healthcare which does some great things with research and quality outcomes. Austin, TX is also a great region for healthcare. UAB is another great system in Alabama that is second to few in quality outcomes. Augusta is a nice mid size regional medical center, but can't even compete with Wichita, KS when it comes to quality Healthcare organizations. Norton guy, we all love our cities and want them to be great at something, but live in reality. I'm just stating facts, Augusta is no where near the top Medical Center's of the South, live with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City