Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 04:37 PM

5,764 posts, read 11,592,798 times

Advertisements

Canada's gun laws are not very restrictive by global standards, actually. In fact, I'm not even a Canadian citizen (nor am I in law enforcement or any other special category), but I have legal authorization to transport rifles, shotguns, and certain types of pistols into Canada, and within Canada.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2010, 11:34 PM

21 posts, read 23,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
Canada's gun laws are not very restrictive by global standards, actually. In fact, I'm not even a Canadian citizen (nor am I in law enforcement or any other special category), but I have legal authorization to transport rifles, shotguns, and certain types of pistols into Canada, and within Canada.
We are comparing Canada's murder rates to US murder rates and in this context it is hard not to realize that equipped with much more restrictive gun laws Canada enjoys much lower murder rate. So does most developed countries, most of which have very strict gun control laws. Just a food for thought

Old 01-15-2010, 04:28 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,054,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
The guy saying chicago may as well be Baltimore could mean extremely expensive areas, upper class neighborhoods, or Middle Class, all of which together make larger portions than most think.
I said people in a majority of Chicago could listen to the news about murders on the south or west side, and for all they know/care they could have been happening in Baltimore or Detroit. I see what you were saying now, I didn't mean that directly against those two cities.

I was more just pulling two cities out randomly that people will blindly label as dangerous without giving any thought or paying much attention. I wasn't saying that as an attack on those two specific cities and what's happening on the ground there, sorry. I was just saying there's a huge disconnect in Chicago for many many people, because they never see the horrible crime areas. For them it might as well have been a double shooting in Atlanta or Dallas...or Baltimore or Key West.

That's what needs to change. This is by far a city of neighborhoods. People in Chicago almost always exist in their bubble. Mine is downtown and the near north side. For many people it's the west side, or Little Village. For my friends its either Bridgeport or Logan Square.

There really isn't a big connection to CHICAGO as a united city for most people in their day to day life. It's like 80 little cities put together. I feel bad for things happening in Englewood and think it should be stopped, but honestly its hard to get motivated when its so far removed from anywhere I spend my life. Not saying that's right!!!! I'm not trying to make excuses. I'm just saying that's reality here, and is a huge reason why people don't get outraged.

Old 01-15-2010, 04:40 PM

374 posts, read 1,120,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
I said people in a majority of Chicago could listen to the news about murders on the south or west side, and for all they know/care they could have been happening in Baltimore or Detroit. I see what you were saying now, I didn't mean that directly against those two cities.

I was more just pulling two cities out randomly that people will blindly label as dangerous without giving any thought or paying much attention. I wasn't saying that as an attack on those two specific cities and what's happening on the ground there, sorry. I was just saying there's a huge disconnect in Chicago for many many people, because they never see the horrible crime areas. For them it might as well have been a double shooting in Atlanta or Dallas...or Baltimore or Key West.

That's what needs to change. This is by far a city of neighborhoods. People in Chicago almost always exist in their bubble. Mine is downtown and the near north side. For many people it's the west side, or Little Village. For my friends its either Bridgeport or Logan Square.

There really isn't a big connection to CHICAGO as a united city for most people in their day to day life. It's like 80 little cities put together. I feel bad for things happening in Englewood and think it should be stopped, but honestly its hard to get motivated when its so far removed from anywhere I spend my life. Not saying that's right!!!! I'm not trying to make excuses. I'm just saying that's reality here, and is a huge reason why people don't get outraged.
I definitely agree with this statement. I've always noticed how people looked at me when I told them what part of town I lived in. It seemed as if they never ever would venture there and had no clue what life was like in that part of town. Chicago is definitely a city of neighborhoods. I personally know people who never left the southside. There whole life is there and going to the Northside is like going to a different city. I really dont see that here in Fort Worth, but Ive only been here for a short period of time so I wouldnt know, but I definitely see a difference in Chicago than in Fort Worth.

Old 07-24-2010, 12:39 AM

1,073 posts, read 1,382,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coo77 View Post
This is the list of the cities in the USA with over 500,000 residents in the city proper and their murder rates as calculated from data from news articles reporting the rates and homicide numbers in these cities. Cities with N/A have not had their police department reveal numbers for the year. If there are any errors, please correct me!!!!! Feel free to add any cities that you would like. I only could do so many.

New York City- 461 total murders (5.51 per 100,000 people)
Los Angeles- 308 total murders (8.03 per 100,000 people)
Chicago- 459 total murders (16.08 per 100,000 people)
Houston- 281 total murders (12.53 per 100,000 people)
Phoenix- N/A
Philadelphia- 302 total murders (19.61 per 100,000 people)
San Antonio- 96 total murders (7.1 per 100,000 people)
Dallas- 218 total murders (17.03 per 100,000 people)
San Diego- 39 total murders (3.05 per 100,000 people)
San Jose- 27 total murders (2.85 per 100,000 people)
Detroit- N/A
San Francisco- 45 total murders (5.56 per 100,000 people)
Jacksonville- 104 total murders (12.87 per 100,000 people)
Indianapolis- 100 total murders (12.52 per 100,000 people)
Austin- 23 total murders (3.04 per 100,000 people)
Columbus- 83 total murders (10.99 per 100,000 people)
Fort Worth- N/A
Charlotte- 55 total muders (8.00 per 100,000 people)
Memphis- 135 total murders (20.15 per 100,000 people)
Baltimore- 238 total murders (37.36 per 100,000 people)
Boston- 49 total murders (7.89 per 100,000 people)
El Paso- 13 total murders (2.12 per 100,000 people)
Milwaukee- 72 total murders (11.96 per 100,000 people)
Denver- N/A
Seattle- 20 total murders (3.34 per 100,000 people)
Nashville- N/A
Washington DC- 138 total murders (23 per 100,000 people)
Las Vegas- N/A
Portland- 21 total murders (3.77 per 100,000 people)
Louisville- 71 total murders IN METRO AREA (9.94 per 100,000 people METRO)
Oklahoma City- N/A
Tucson- N/A
Atlanta- 91 total murders (16.91 per 100,000 people)
Albuquerque- 73 total murders (11.49 per 100,000 people)

NOTE: THIS IS ONLY CITY PROPERS WITH MORE THAN 500,000 residents.
I guess this is the reason why the FBI doesn't release their annual crime data according to popultion groups as only 7 of those cities had more murders than New Orleans' 174 murders with a population of only 350,000

Old 07-24-2010, 11:30 PM

648 posts, read 1,611,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justintheneighborhood View Post
We are comparing Canada's murder rates to US murder rates and in this context it is hard not to realize that equipped with much more restrictive gun laws Canada enjoys much lower murder rate. So does most developed countries, most of which have very strict gun control laws. Just a food for thought
You clearly have no clue of the issue. Gun laws have no affect on illegal guns. 99.9999% of murders in the U.S. are done by undocumented, smuggled, ILLEGAL guns sold on the streets. And the more you restrict guns, the less protection the law abiding citizen will have for his home, his family and himself.

Watch this video of robbers with ILLEGAL handguns vs a man with a LEGAL gun protecting his property and himself.

YouTube - Armed Homeowner Shoots Robbers During Daytime Invasion (AZ)

Old 07-24-2010, 11:52 PM

18,957 posts, read 32,418,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justintheneighborhood View Post
Guns are illegal in Mexico and look at their murder rate. Some more food for thought.

Old 01-19-2011, 07:15 AM

1 posts, read 1,683 times
flint michigan had 64 murders with a population of 124,943 in 2010
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City