U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Most Tropical City Year Round?
Miami 140 70.35%
Orlando 7 3.52%
Los Angeles 7 3.52%
San Diego 11 5.53%
Other 47 23.62%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 199. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Unread 03-21-2010, 08:48 PM

4,236 posts, read 5,193,501 times
Yeah, we are a little off topic. Not trying to nitpick, just saying. HOUSTONBOY, Houston's size throws it off. South Houston can be as tropical as New Orleans, but you don't start to see the same variety in plant life until you get to Galveston. North Houston is more of your typical Gulf-Pine forest climate. It's colder, has a lot of pine trees, etc. I can see where you are coming from temp. wise though.

Unread 03-21-2010, 08:49 PM

7,413 posts, read 2,749,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOUSTONBOY View Post
not to butt in, but houston actually have a more tropicl climate than new orleans: Climate of Houston - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Thanks for correcting me! Ultimately, the lack of winter cold is what separates California from the Southeast.

Unread 03-21-2010, 09:16 PM

151 posts, read 243,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
The Rocky Mts and all the mountain ranges from Colorado westward into California. The worst arctic fronts sweep down from Canada into the U.S. but because the prevailing winds are from the west [due to the rotation of the earth] these airmasses occur most frequently in the Midwest\ South and East Coast. If arctic air blows over the Pacific it is warmed up and becomes less bitter before hitting land\ West Coast. For example: Seattle is much warmer than both Chicago and New York during winter yet at the same latitude. Also western Europe is warmer than the U.S. East Coast because the Atlantic ocean warms the airmass. The high mountains in California also protect the state from cold air moving into the mountain West on east winds. It is science, a subject I love!
Just to be factual…Seattle is not at the same latitude as NYC…it not even close. Seattle is at 47.8 latitude…NYC is at 40.5 latitude. NYC is almost 500 miles south of Seattle. Also, Also, Western Europe is only warmer in winter than the upper East Coast. Places from Virginia Beach, Virginia southward…are actually just as warm ( or warmer) than most of West Europe. Of course a city like Paris is only wamer than NYC in winter…from May through October NYC is a good bit warmer.

What keeps LA warmer than say New Orleans in winter …is the flow off the ocean more often (westerly winds – upper level). In New Orleans there are more bouts of northerly winds (UL). However, even in winter…the Gulf and south Atlantic States receives periodic warm and humid mT air masses (maritime tropical) from the south Gulf/Caribbean Sea. It’s not uncommon for New Orleans, Houston, or Charleston to have an 80 F day in Dec – Feb time. Florida has the warmest average winter temps in the USA…this seems to have mostly to due to latitude…and the Gulf Stream. Even in winter, there is 80 F waters flowing just off shore from Florida.

I think Key West of the Florida cities is officially the warmest city in the USA in winter. Did I tell you how much I love the Florida Keys...lol

Unread 03-21-2010, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trade Wind View Post
Just to be factual…Seattle is not at the same latitude as NYC…it not even close. Seattle is at 47.8 latitude…NYC is at 40.5 latitude. NYC is almost 500 miles south of Seattle. Also, Also, Western Europe is only warmer in winter than the upper East Coast. Places from Virginia Beach, Virginia southward…are actually just as warm ( or warmer) than most of West Europe. Of course a city like Paris is only wamer than NYC in winter…from May through October NYC is a good bit warmer.

What keeps LA warmer than say New Orleans in winter …is the flow off the ocean more often (westerly winds – upper level). In New Orleans there are more bouts of northerly winds (UL). However, even in winter…the Gulf and south Atlantic States receives periodic warm and humid mT air masses (maritime tropical) from the south Gulf/Caribbean Sea. It’s not uncommon for New Orleans, Houston, or Charleston to have an 80 F day in Dec – Feb time. Florida has the warmest average winter temps in the USA…this seems to have mostly to due to latitude…and the Gulf Stream. Even in winter, there is 80 F waters flowing just off shore from Florida.

I think Key West of the Florida cities is officially the warmest city in the USA in winter. Did I tell you how much I love the Florida Keys...lol

Sweet photo! I love the ocean and really enjoy swimming at Miami Beach and San Juan [that really is tropical]. Agree with you but SoCal also gets periodic heat waves during winter and LA has recorded 90F+ in every month of the year historically. The winter warmth is mostly due to offshore winds that heat up descending the mountains. BTW, 80F water temps have also occurred off SoCal though it is rare.

Unread 03-22-2010, 12:30 AM

13,011 posts, read 11,519,931 times
Quote:

So true. I remember being in Miami in December of 07 or 08, and it was about 80-85 degrees outside, people were walking around in white tees(including me). The problem is, people try to use what happened THIS YEAR during winter in Miami as a barometer to how Miami's annual winter weather is, BUT this past winter was a VERY RARE unusually cold winter in South Florida, let alone the WHOLE United States. The news said the ONLY US state where it didn't snow this winter was Hawaii. 49 states had snow this winter, INCLUDING California and Florida.

Unread 03-22-2010, 04:55 AM

13,011 posts, read 11,519,931 times
Here is a Palm Tree Hardiness Zone Map: Cold Hardy Palm Tree Zone Map Described As you can see the only areas that go up to Zone 10 are SoFla and SoCal(and small parts of the SF Bay area and the South Texas Rio Grande Valley)

Unread 03-22-2010, 08:49 AM

151 posts, read 243,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
So true. I remember being in Miami in December of 07 or 08, and it was about 80-85 degrees outside, people were walking around in white tees(including me). The problem is, people try to use what happened THIS YEAR during winter in Miami as a barometer to how Miami's annual winter weather is, BUT this past winter was a VERY RARE unusually cold winter in South Florida, let alone the WHOLE United States. The news said the ONLY US state where it didn't snow this winter was Hawaii. 49 states had snow this winter, INCLUDING California and Florida.
That’s what I was trying to get across before…you can’t pick one year or month season as a norm.

I also think perceptions also have a lot to do with it. I think it’s safe to say most Americans would know that Florida is the warmest state/climate in the USA…but many have a false perception of the subtropical Gulf and south Atlantic States. The few times each winter…they hear on the typical media hype that temps fell to the 30’s in New Orleans, Galveston, Houston, Charleston…etc and think that is that happens every night. The reality is that is far from it. Also, while California might be a bit warmer in the winter months than Gulf or South Atlantic subtropical cities…that warmth is fleeting: Most of the year the Gulf and South Atlantic States are as warm (or much warmer) than cities like San Diego or Los Angeles.

Take an example of Savannah, Georgia and San Diego, California:

San Diego, CA area: National Weather Service - NWS San Diego
J F M A M J J A S O N D YR
57 58 59 62 64 67 70 72 71 67 61 57 - YR 64 F

Savannah, GA area: National Weather Service Climate
49.9 53 59 65 73 79 82 81 77 67 59 52 - YR 66 F

If you compare the southernmost city on the West Coast of San Diego, CA (the East Coast of the USA extends much further south)…compared to Savannah, GA at the same latitude (32.7 N): You can see the difference quite quickly in average mean temps (high/low): While the 3 winter months are about 5- 7F warmer in San Diego than Savannah…Savannah is as warm 8 months of the year. Comes the long hot summers of the East Coast it’s no contest…Savannah is 9 to 12 F warmer than SanDiego. Add in the fact the Atlantic from late April to November is much warmer off the Georgia Atlantic coast than the Pacific is off San Diego. It’s really just the 90 days of winter that are cooler in the Gulf and South Atlantic states compared to southern California. You can see that the YR average temperature is actually higher in Savannah, GA (and would also be in Houston, Galveston, New Orleans, Charleston...etc) than in San Diego, CA…the southernmost city on the West Coast.

However, go back and look at that zone map you linked…Savannah is on the line of zone 8/9…while San Diego is in zone 10. So I think the zone maps and minimum lows in the 90 days of winter… don’t tell the whole story in terms of the Gulf and South Atlantic states. Yes, Florida is the warmest state/region on the USA mainland in terms of the whole year… but the Gulf coast cities and south Atlantic coastal cities have a climate that warmth dominates much of the year. When cities in the subtropical Gulf/south Atlantic are compared to southern California…they are just as warm 8 out of 12 months of the year (with much warmer summers and warmer ocean waters).

There’s a reason that the old houses in cities like New Orleans and Charleston have big white shutters and long wrap around porches...they are trying to block the sun and get a breeze (lol).

Unread 03-22-2010, 11:54 AM

Quote:
That’s what I was trying to get across before…you can’t pick one year or month season as a norm.

I also think perceptions also have a lot to do with it. I think it’s safe to say most Americans would know that Florida is the warmest state/climate in the USA…but many have a false perception of the subtropical Gulf and south Atlantic States. The few times each winter…they hear on the typical media hype that temps fell to the 30’s in New Orleans, Galveston, Houston, Charleston…etc and think that is that happens every night. The reality is that is far from it. Also, while California might be a bit warmer in the winter months than Gulf or South Atlantic subtropical cities…that warmth is fleeting: Most of the year the Gulf and South Atlantic States are as warm (or much warmer) than cities like San Diego or Los Angeles.

Take an example of Savannah, Georgia and San Diego, California:

San Diego, CA area: National Weather Service - NWS San Diego
57 58 59 62 64 67 70 72 71 67 61 57 - YR 64 F

Savannah, GA area: National Weather Service Climate
49.9 53 59 65 73 79 82 81 77 67 59 52 - YR 66 F

If you compare the southernmost city on the West Coast of San Diego, CA (the East Coast of the USA extends much further south)…compared to Savannah, GA at the same latitude (32.7 N): You can see the difference quite quickly in average mean temps (high/low): While the 3 winter months are about 5- 7F warmer in San Diego than Savannah…Savannah is as warm 8 months of the year. Comes the long hot summers of the East Coast it’s no contest…Savannah is 9 to 12 F warmer than SanDiego. Add in the fact the Atlantic from late April to November is much warmer off the Georgia Atlantic coast than the Pacific is off San Diego. It’s really just the 90 days of winter that are cooler in the Gulf and South Atlantic states compared to southern California. You can see that the YR average temperature is actually higher in Savannah, GA (and would also be in Houston, Galveston, New Orleans, Charleston...etc) than in San Diego, CA…the southernmost city on the West Coast.

However, go back and look at that zone map you linked…Savannah is on the line of zone 8/9…while San Diego is in zone 10. So I think the zone maps and minimum lows in the 90 days of winter… don’t tell the whole story in terms of the Gulf and South Atlantic states. Yes, Florida is the warmest state/region on the USA mainland in terms of the whole year… but the Gulf coast cities and south Atlantic coastal cities have a climate that warmth dominates much of the year. When cities in the subtropical Gulf/south Atlantic are compared to southern California…they are just as warm 8 out of 12 months of the year (with much warmer summers and warmer ocean waters).

There’s a reason that the old houses in cities like New Orleans and Charleston have big white shutters and long wrap around porches...they are trying to block the sun and get a breeze (lol).
It is strange but the only reason one doesn't see many palm trees & only a few species of palms in the Southeast [except Florida] is that the winter temps are too cold. Yet in California, right along the immediate coastline the ocean greatly modifies the air temperature and allows tropical trees.

Also, you may not be aware of how warm it gets just a mile from the ocean. In Los Angeles for example: LAX\airport extends out to the beach & regularly has summer maximum's in the 70's yet 8 miles inland downtown LA is 10 degrees warmer and the valleys are normally in the 90's. From Santa Monica on the ocean over the hill to Encino [8 miles] a summer condition can be the difference of over 30 degrees [in a matter of miles!!] due to the foothills. That's why some people are surprised how mild it is in LA if they only stay in places like Venice beach or San Pedro, etc. On the other hand, people are surprised how hot it is in LA if they stay in the San Fernando valley or San Gabriel valley. All of these areas are within the city limits of Los Angeles. California has remarkable micro-climates that can not be matched anywhere else in the nation.

If you live in LA, how come you don't know this stuff?

Unread 03-22-2010, 12:00 PM

181 posts, read 389,881 times
The most tropical city?! Any city in Florida. I see more flowers in Florida than I have ever seen in Hawaii! Hawaii, in my opinion, is over-rated and boring.

Unread 03-22-2010, 12:04 PM

991 posts, read 2,064,713 times
Honolulu.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City