U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Most Tropical City Year Round?
Miami 140 70.35%
Orlando 7 3.52%
Los Angeles 7 3.52%
San Diego 11 5.53%
Other 47 23.62%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 199. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 12:32 PM

4,236 posts, read 5,471,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
It is strange but the only reason one doesn't see many palm trees & only a few species of palms in the Southeast [except Florida] is that the winter temps are too cold.
Ay Yi-Yi

Old 03-22-2010, 12:33 PM

151 posts, read 259,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
It is strange but the only reason one doesn't see many palm trees & only a few species of palms in the Southeast [except Florida] is that the winter temps are too cold. Yet in California, right along the immediate coastline the ocean greatly modifies the air temperature and allows tropical trees.

Also, you may not be aware of how warm it gets just a mile from the ocean. In Los Angeles for example: LAX\airport extends out to the beach & regularly has summer maximum's in the 70's yet 8 miles inland downtown LA is 10 degrees warmer and the valleys are normally in the 90's. From Santa Monica on the ocean over the hill to Encino [8 miles] a summer condition can be the difference of over 30 degrees [in a matter of miles!!] due to the foothills. That's why some people are surprised how mild it is in LA if they only stay in places like Venice beach or San Pedro, etc. On the other hand, people are surprised how hot it is in LA if they stay in the San Fernando valley or San Gabriel valley. All of these areas are within the city limits of Los Angeles. California has remarkable micro-climates that can not be matched anywhere else in the nation.

If you live in LA, how come you don't know this stuff?
One doesn’t need to live there to know that there are many micro –climates in California. Even people on the other side of the world can see on the news that it might be snowing in the Sierra Mts and be 55 F in San Francisco or LA (lol). Obviously the temp changes away from the seacoast. Why not tell me how much warmer Twentynine Palms or Death Valley is than coastal cities in the Gulf or South Atlantic. I thought we were comparing coastal cities/beach areas in the Gulf/Atlantic to coastal cities in California?

As far palms…I not sure where you might have gotten the idea there are few palm species in the subtropical southeastern USA…there are just as many palms species in many regions of the Gulf Coast and South Atlantic as southern CA.

Here is a list of just the palms I have seen in places like New Orleans, Galveston…etc:

1. Sabal Plamettos
2. Canary Island Date Plams
3. Queen Palms
4. Butia Capitata
5. Trachycarpus f
6. Phoenix roebelini
7. Sago Palms (not really a plam – but a Cycad)
8. Washington filifera (California Fan Palm)

What palms grow in California that I haven’t seen in the Gulf or south Atlantic States? In fact, from what I have seen in my travels along the Gulf… I think MORE species of palms grow in New Orleans than LA. Be fair...half of all plams in at least the LA area are Washington filifera – you can’t argue with that.

Don't take this the wrong way...but your starting to sound like alot of people in CA who are mad at Florida or the East Coast because of the current mess out here...esp when they realize the weather is just as good or better in Florida:

http://www.winknews.com/news/local/83610967.html

Last edited by Trade Wind; 03-22-2010 at 12:43 PM..

Old 03-22-2010, 12:56 PM

4,236 posts, read 5,471,174 times
While we're at it, I'll go across the street and inform my neighbors Sea Grape Tree (Coccoloba uvifera) that it isn't allowed to grow here anymore and that Citrus unshiu and Musa has to go with it. <-sarcasm

Seriously, I don't know where what grows where; but just looking out of my window I can see Royal Palms, Queen Palms, and Date Palms (the most common in the city). If I walk 4 blocks up I'll see Cabbage and Sabal Palms. A block upriver from there and there are those Washington Palms (the tall California looking ones). Fan palms and Pindos are all around. Don't let me forget the Queen palms and those are just the trees that I can recognize.

Old 03-22-2010, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
While we're at it, I'll go across the street and inform my neighbors Sea Grape Tree (Coccoloba uvifera) that it isn't allowed to grow here anymore and that Citrus unshiu and Musa has to go with it. <-sarcasm

Seriously, I don't know where what grows where; but just looking out of my window I can see Royal Palms, Queen Palms, and Date Palms (the most common in the city). If I walk 4 blocks up I'll see Cabbage and Sabal Palms. A block upriver from there and there are those Washington Palms (the tall California looking ones). Fan palms and Pindos are all around. Don't let me forget the Queen palms and those are just the trees that I can recognize.
Right you are! There are many species of plams in New Orleans. It looked alot more tropical down in New Orleans than anywhere I ever saw around LA .

Palms want year round hot temperatures and rainfall to flourish. One of the reasons you never see a coconut palm in California…it’s too cool and too dry. In fact, I’ll bet cities like New Orleans have a better chance and getting a coconut palm to survive than LA. I know there are a few coconut palms in Florida growing around St. Augustine. Once I move to Florida I plan on trying to grow my own coconut palm...I think it would be so cool

Old 03-22-2010, 01:12 PM

525 posts, read 169,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
So true. I remember being in Miami in December of 07 or 08, and it was about 80-85 degrees outside, people were walking around in white tees(including me). The problem is, people try to use what happened THIS YEAR during winter in Miami as a barometer to how Miami's annual winter weather is, BUT this past winter was a VERY RARE unusually cold winter in South Florida, let alone the WHOLE United States. The news said the ONLY US state where it didn't snow this winter was Hawaii. 49 states had snow this winter, INCLUDING California and Florida.
Miami gets cold EVERY WINTER. 40- 45 for at least 11 days or so at best.

Officially gets 32 every 7 years or so

Lett's not PRETEND it is TROPICAL PUERTO RICO OR COSTA RICA........

Old 03-22-2010, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickSantos View Post
Miami gets cold EVERY WINTER. 40- 45 for at least 11 days or so at best.

Officially gets 32 every 7 years or so

Lett's not PRETEND it is TROPICAL PUERTO RICO OR COSTA RICA........

I agree Miami is not as warm San Juan or Costa Rica…but it’s the most tropical city on the mainland. Keep in mind though…San Juan is almost 400 miles south of Miami. I came so close to going to PR this spring but money was tight. I really want to see PR, the rainforests, the beaches…etc. I knew I loved it when I surfers in huge waves without wetsuits (lol). I can't imagin surfing in 85 F water (lol). The scuba diving must be amazing from the pics I have seen. I will get there one day.

To be fair…my dream location would have to be Trunk Bay, USVI. The daily highs are about 88 F every day and the lows around 70 F 12 months a year:

Old 03-22-2010, 01:46 PM

2,414 posts, read 3,071,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trade Wind View Post
Right you are! There are many species of plams in New Orleans. It looked alot more tropical down in New Orleans than anywhere I ever saw around LA .

Palms want year round hot temperatures and rainfall to flourish. One of the reasons you never see a coconut palm in California…it’s too cool and too dry. In fact, I’ll bet cities like New Orleans have a better chance and getting a coconut palm to survive than LA. I know there are a few coconut palms in Florida growing around St. Augustine. Once I move to Florida I plan on trying to grow my own coconut palm...I think it would be so cool
What part of Florida are you planning on moving to?

Old 03-22-2010, 01:51 PM

134 posts, read 13,022 times

YouTube - Trunk Bay, St. John, USVI

Old 03-22-2010, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TB Fla View Post
What part of Florida are you planning on moving to?
I really am confused to tell you the truth. I just know I want to live in the warmest part of the USA mainland…so it has to be Florida of course (maybe I’ll win lotto and move to the USVI).

Florida really is beautiful…it’s so unlike many parts of the USA. So far from what I have seen...I liked Jupiter, Stuart, North Palm Beach, Delray Beach, Hollywood, Ft. Lauderdale, and Coral Springs. Jupiter/Juno was nice, I liked the beach area, it seems like a nice tropical family town and it’s somewhat close to the glamour of Miami/Ft. Lauderdale. I really loved Miami Beach and the Keys. Of course the nice areas like Coral Gables and Key Biscayne are very nice and walkable…but affording those areas is the challenge.

Delray Beach is a strong contender. It has to be one of the best beach towns in the USA: I loved the pastel colored buildings, the coconut palms, the laid back feel of a true 12 month shorts and t-shirt beach town (I know it was cooler this year). So I’ve narrowed it down to those areas. I stayed at the Colony Inn in Delray several years ago…and I feel in love with the whole area.

Do you know where this is:

Of course...the Florida Keys are really amazing…you feel like a castaway in the Caribbean somewhere. The last time I went down in December 2009 it was in the 80 - 82 F range everyday (lol). I miss it already

Old 03-22-2010, 02:22 PM

2,414 posts, read 3,071,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trade Wind View Post
I really am confused to tell you the truth. I just know I want to live in the warmest part of the USA mainland…so it has to be Florida of course (maybe I’ll win lotto and move to the USVI).

Florida really is beautiful…it’s so unlike many parts of the USA. So far from what I have seen...I liked Jupiter, Stuart, North Palm Beach, Delray Beach, Hollywood, Ft. Lauderdale, and Coral Springs. Jupiter/Juno was nice, I liked the beach area, it seems like a nice tropical family town and it’s somewhat close to the glamour of Miami/Ft. Lauderdale. I really loved Miami Beach and the Keys. Of course the nice areas like Coral Gables and Key Biscayne are very nice and walkable…but affording those areas is the challenge.

Delray Beach is a strong contender. It has to be one of the best beach towns in the USA: I loved the pastel colored buildings, the coconut palms, the laid back feel of a true 12 month shorts and t-shirt beach town (I know it was cooler this year). So I’ve narrowed it down to those areas. I stayed at the Colony Inn in Delray several years ago…and I feel in love with the whole area.

Do you know where this is:

Of course...the Florida Keys are really amazing…you feel like a castaway in the Caribbean somewhere. The last time I went down in December 2009 it was in the 80 - 82 F range everyday (lol). I miss it already

You should have no problems growing a Coconut tree in any of those spots. I live right outside of Tampa, and growing a coconut tree here can be tricky if you don't live right on the water. But after the second coldest year on record, mine is still alive . Good luck on your move, and I hope you love Florida as much as I do .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City