Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most Tropical City Year Round?
Miami 140 70.35%
Orlando 7 3.52%
Los Angeles 7 3.52%
San Diego 11 5.53%
Other 47 23.62%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 199. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2010, 03:47 PM

2,413 posts, read 5,747,685 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zone13 View Post
Tampa is USDA Zone 9b, about 10 miles from the ocean is 10a, as well as St.Pete southward.
Ana Maria and Snead Island are 10b.

Miami isn't tropical since occasional freezes can brown the coconuts there.
Only the Keys are zone 11 although Miami is Zone 11 for 20 years or so before a big freeze moves in.

Zone 10b extends from Homestead northward to West Palm Beach along the east coast. Inland areas are 10a.

The only 10b areas on the southwest coast are Pine Island, and coastal areas of Naples.
There are some parts of Tampa that I believe are zone 10 like South Tampa and Davis Islands because they are surrounded by water. When ever I go to these areas, I can just see the difference in the landscape. On an average year, those areas hardly ever dip below 32. Even this year, my mother's boss, who owns a landscape company, said that he recently went to Davis Island to check on some fishtail palms they had planted and was surprised to see almost no frost damage on any of the tropical plants, even the most tender.

Old 04-09-2010, 03:49 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,384,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zone13 View Post
Tampa is USDA Zone 9b, about 10 miles from the ocean is 10a, as well as St.Pete southward.
Ana Maria and Snead Island are 10b.

Miami isn't tropical since occasional freezes can brown the coconuts there.
Only the Keys are zone 11 although Miami is Zone 11 for 20 years or so before a big freeze moves in.

Zone 10b extends from Homestead northward to West Palm Beach along the east coast. Inland areas are 10a.

The only 10b areas on the southwest coast are Pine Island, and coastal areas of Naples.
That makes sense since even parts of SoCal are in zone 11 & are not by any means tropical. If an area doesn't freeze doesn't make it tropical. Look at San Francisco; no frost but very cool even though palms trees grow there.

Old 04-09-2010, 03:52 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,150,335 times
I have lived in Miami Beach for 9 years. In those 9 years, the typical Winter had 2 or 3 days where the weather was "cool". There were some years where there really wasn't any cool weather. This past Winter, there were temps that were much colder than normal and I actually had to wear a coat for some days and many nights. But, keep in mind, people in Miami think a high of 62 degress is cold.
My experience is that a typical Winter might have 2 or 3 days where the highs are in low 60s with overnight lows in the 40s. But, all in all, the temperatures in Miami tend to be very stable throughout the year with the high temperatures typically fluxuating between 75 and 90 degrees and the lows fluctuation between the low 60s to around 80. In effect, the overwhelming number of days feel tropical. The days are warm to hot and the evenings are moderate to hot with very high humidity that gets really high in the late Summer and early Autumn. The typical range of daily temps is usually within 10 degrees. That is to say if a high temperature for a day was 89 degrees, the low was probably near 80. If the high temperature was 75, the low was probably near 65, etc.
This thread doesn't surprise me a bit because there is a HUGE contingent of Miami haters on City-Data. No matter what the issue is, there's always some reason to bash Miami or discount everything about it. "Miami's not urban"...despite its density, "Miami's skyline doesn't count"... because it's heavily residential, "Miami isn't really diverse"... because it's just Latin, blah, blah, blah.... Now, Miami isn't the most tropical city in the Mainland US because of its very rare cool/cold days that make up an insignificant part of its overall weather pattern.
The OP was about the most tropical city from the short list provided. Based on that list, Miami is undoubtedly the MOST tropical of the lot. As a former Californinian, I can assure you that most Californians would come to Miami and melt. They'd complain about the relentless heat and humidity. In effect, they'd be complaining about how "tropical" it is.

Old 04-09-2010, 03:55 PM

2,413 posts, read 5,747,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
I have lived in Miami Beach for 9 years. In those 9 years, the typical Winter had 2 or 3 days where the weather was "cool". There were some years where there really wasn't any cool weather. This past Winter, there were temps that were much colder than normal and I actually had to wear a coat for some days and many nights. But, keep in mind, people in Miami think a high of 62 degress is cold.
My experience is that a typical Winter might have 2 or 3 days where the highs are in low 60s with overnight lows in the 40s. But, all in all, the temperatures in Miami tend to be very stable throughout the year with the high temperatures typically fluxuating between 75 and 90 degrees and the lows fluctuation between the low 60s to around 80. In effect, the overwhelming number of days feel tropical. The days are warm to hot and the evenings are moderate to hot with very high humidity that gets really high in the late Summer and early Autumn. The typical range of daily temps is usually within 10 degrees. That is to say if a high temperature for a day was 89 degrees, the low was probably near 80. If the high temperature was 75, the low was probably near 65, etc.
This thread doesn't surprise me a bit because there is a HUGE contingent of Miami haters on City-Data. No matter what the issue is, there's always some reason to bash Miami or discount everything about it. "Miami's not urban"...despite its density, "Miami's skyline doesn't count"... because it's heavily residential, "Miami isn't really diverse"... because it's just Latin, blah, blah, blah.... Now, Miami isn't the most tropical city in the Mainland US because of its very rare cool/cold days that make up an insignificant part of its overall weather pattern.
The OP was about the most tropical city from the short list provided. Based on that list, Miami is undoubtedly the MOST tropical of the lot.
That about raps this thread up

Old 04-09-2010, 04:03 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,927,598 times
Quote:
The OP was about the most tropical city from the short list provided. Based on that list, Miami is undoubtedly the MOST tropical of the lot. As a former Californinian, I can assure you that most Californians would come to Miami and melt. They'd complain about the relentless heat and humidity. In effect, they'd be complaining about how "tropical" it is.
Miami never gets credit for anything. Too many excuses why Miami isn't "X" city.

Old 04-09-2010, 04:48 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,035,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Miami never gets credit for anything. Too many excuses why Miami isn't "X" city.
I disagree, Miami does get credit for being the Cruise Liner port of the US, it gets credit for being a gateway city, but that's about all I disagree with.

Old 04-09-2010, 04:50 PM

525 posts, read 760,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TB Fla View Post
This post is pathetic. You know nothing about how a true debate really works. Can you at least stick to an argument instead of jumping back and forth between UV rays, water color, temperatures, ect. If we were in an official debate with rules and judges, like what I did in High school, I would be owning you right now. Mainly because I have clearly rebutted all of the arguments you have presented, while you have failed to do the same for mine. Instead, you put words in my mouth, and calling me names like loser, which I will be reporting you for by the way, so expect a violation for that.

Now I will dive deep into your post and expose just how utterly erroneous it is.

Tampa is not a place for Coconut palms? DID YOU LOOK AT THE PICTURES I PROVIDED? via google street view. I spy with my little eye, coconut palms growing and even fruiting in Tampa.

Coconut palms in Tampa will show freeze damage? Never said they wouldn't

Coconut palms will not thrive and reach full height ANYWHERE OUTSIDE THE TROPICS. Bull. Go to the Bahamas, or even Miami. Unless you are a tree expert, how can you tell me those palms are not thriving

TROPICAL VEGETATION IS NOT MEANT FOR TAMPA. TAMPA HAS ONLY TEMPERATE ZONE VEGETATION NATURALLY. I never said tropical vegitation was natural to Tampa, but it does in fact grow here, given the right circumstances. That is a fact.

ALL THOSE COCONUTS YOU SEE IN MIAMI WERE IMPORTED AND EXHIBIT FREEZE DAMAGE AND DO NOT GET AS TALL AS PUERTO RICO'S False. In fact, there are a number of plant nurseries in South Florida that grow coconut palms. Next time you are in Miami, try heading out to places like homestead though im not debating that Puerto Rico's get bigger, that is probably true.

Miami certainly is NOT tropical BUT IT IS BEATS TAMPA ANY DAY FOR TROPICAL VEGETATION GROWING POTENTIAL. MIAMI IS 2 ZONES ABOVE TAMPA &
TAMPA CANNOT GROW FICUS ELASTICA- THE RUBBER TREE. MIAMI CAN. Duh... I don't see why you brought this up. It has nothing to do with the argument. If anything, it contridicts what you said earlier about a place is either tropical or not, but I don't expect much from you in way of proper debate.

TAMPA IS FIRMLY TEMPERATE LIKE THE REST OF THE US. Actually its Subtropical

I HAVE HAD MANY CONVERSATIONS WITH EXPERIENCED SOUTH FLORIDA LANDSCAPERS. Interesting, did you talk about landscaping by any chance. Oh and by the way, my mother works at a landscaping company outside of Tampa, and I have been to many Florida landscaping conventions.

TAMPA GETS FREEZING IN WINTER. WE ALL KNOW THIS . THE TRUTH IS OUT. WHAT HAPPENED LAST WINTER HAPPENS A LOT. YOUR AREA IS NOT FREEZE FREE AT ALL. I don't see how the second coldest year on record counts as "happens a lot"? But its true, Tampa does get occasional freezes, I already said that.

NICE ACROBATICS. FLORIDA IS NOT TROPICAL This is no circus, its merely your defintion of Tropical vs mine.

Also murky water and clouds make non sense as far as that part of your argument. THE UV ON A CLEAR DAY IN THE TROPICS TRUMPS FLORIDA Let me clarify this. You said in an earlier post that the water color you see in the Caribbean is evidence that it's tropical. This makes no sense. Does the water in ALL of the tropics look the same? NO it does not. And the UV argument might hold some ground, but does that mean a hole in the ozone can cause the Actic to be tropical too? Im actually going to help your argument here. If you said "everything between the Tropics of Cancer and Capricorn is tropical and thats it" I would be more inclined to think you knew what the hell you were talking about.

Maybe YOU should have domne some PROPER RESEARCH before moving to NON tropical Florida. YOU cannot ACCEPT you place is not tropical. Actually I was born in Florida and damn proud of it. Maybe you should have done some research about proper debate, because you are making yourself look foolish.
I have outdone you and you cannnot handle it. I have researched this subject since July 2002 thoroughly . A Google search of Razwell Miami not tropical" will reveal extensive posts.

Your place is NOT tropical. Tampa is NOT even subtropical- it is the southern limit of the TEMPERATE ZONE.

TAMPA'S COCONUTS ARE EVEN SMALLER THAN MIAMI'S AND ARE BASICALLY YARD ORNAMENTALS.

COCONUTS DO NOT BELONG IN TAMPA.THEY DO NOT THRIVE THERE, NOR REACH FULL HEIGHT, THEY ALSO HAVE EVEN MORE FREEZE DAMAGE THAN MIAMI'S.

TAMPA DOES NOT HANDLE TROPICAL VEGETATION WELL. BREADFRUIT, DURIAN MANGOSTEEN AND LIP STICK PALMS WOULD NEVER TAKE THERE- NOT EVEN MIAMI CAN GROW THEM.

BEING BETWEEN THE TROPIC OF CANCER AND THE TROPIC OF CAPRICORN MAKES YOU HAVE STRONG UV BY DEFAULT. So I can use the UV argument .

TROPICAL WATER COLOR IS MORE INTENSE THAN MIAMI GIVEN THE SAME CLEAR CONDITIONS.THAT IS BECAUSE THE UV SUNLIGHT IS STRONGER.

Florida is nice and evrything BUT SHOULD NOT VE ADVERTISED AS TROPICAL

I HAVE ALL OF MIAMI'S CLIMATE RECORDS. IT WAS SOOOOO CODL THERE MANY MANY NIGHTS OVER THE LAST 30 YEARS.

MIAMI'S COCONUT PALMS WERE IMPORTED. INITIALLY. MIAMI IN ITS NATURAL STATE WOULD HAVE MAINLY TEMPERATE ZONE VEGETATION.

IN FACT MOST OF THE EVELRGLADES NATURALLY OCCURING VEGETATION IS TEMPERATE.

Old 04-09-2010, 04:56 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,035,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickSantos View Post
I have outdone you and you cannnot handle it. I have researched this subject since July 2002 thoroughly . A Google search of Razwell Miami not tropical" will reveal extensive posts.

Your place is NOT tropical. Tampa is NOT even subtropical- it is the southern limit of the TEMPERATE ZONE.

TAMPA'S COCONUTS ARE EVEN SMALLER THAN MIAMI'S AND ARE BASICALLY YARD ORNAMENTALS.

COCONUTS DO NOT BELONG IN TAMPA.THEY DO NOT THRIVE THERE, NOR REACH FULL HEIGHT, THEY ALSO HAVE EVEN MORE FREEZE DAMAGE THAN MIAMI'S.

TAMPA DOES NOT HANDLE TROPICAL VEGETATION WELL. BREADFRUIT, DURIAN MANGOSTEEN AND LIP STICK PALMS WOULD NEVER TAKE THERE- NOT EVEN MIAMI CAN GROW THEM.

BEING BETWEEN THE TROPIC OF CANCER AND THE TROPIC OF CAPRICORN MAKES YOU HAVE STRONG UV BY DEFAULT. So I can use the UV argument .

TROPICAL WATER COLOR IS MORE INTENSE THAN MIAMI GIVEN THE SAME CLEAR CONDITIONS.THAT IS BECAUSE THE UV SUNLIGHT IS STRONGER.

Florida is nice and evrything BUT SHOULD NOT VE ADVERTISED AS TROPICAL

I HAVE ALL OF MIAMI'S CLIMATE RECORDS. IT WAS SOOOOO CODL THERE MANY MANY NIGHTS OVER THE LAST 30 YEARS.

MIAMI'S COCONUT PALMS WERE IMPORTED. INITIALLY. MIAMI IN ITS NATURAL STATE WOULD HAVE MAINLY TEMPERATE ZONE VEGETATION.

IN FACT MOST OF THE EVELRGLADES NATURALLY OCCURING VEGETATION IS TEMPERATE.
Do you have any sources for your research? I'd like to read about them as well.

Old 04-09-2010, 05:00 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,384,032 times
Quote:
As a Californian I can vouch for your final statement. We are real wusses when it comes to humidity. It does get muggy every once an a while w/ non-stop complains. I tell friends that they have no idea what real humidity is until they go to Florida or PR . I love Miami & don't understand why anyone would put it down.

Old 04-09-2010, 05:01 PM

525 posts, read 760,597 times
Tampa never, ever belongs in a tropical discussion. Coconut palms do NOT belong in Tampa and will not do well. I have talked to South Florida's very best palm expert on this fact.

Miami is far too cold for breadfruit, durian and lipstick palms. How do you think Tampa would do? LOL !!!!!!!!

I suggest YOU check out tropical ocean temperatures and compare them to Miami and Tampa in January. LOL !!!!!!!!

The Florida Tropical Wannabe Pretender is arare species who will perform all sorts of acrobatics.

YOU NEED TO BE BETWEEN THE TROPIC OF CANCER AND THE TROPIC OF CAPRICORN TO BE TROPICAL. NATURE SAYS SO. STRONG TROPICAL CALIBER SUNLIGHT STRENGTH COMES ALONG WITH THIS. NICE WTAER COLOR COMES ALONG WITH THIS. YOU NEED TO TRAVEL TO CONTRAL AMERICA, YOU WILL SEE THE DIFFERENCE. ARCTIC UV, EVEN WITH AN OZONE HOLE WILL NOT BE AS STRONG AS THE TROPICS.

YOU DO NOT UNDERSTAND WHAT TROPICAL IS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City