Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most Tropical City Year Round?
Miami 140 70.35%
Orlando 7 3.52%
Los Angeles 7 3.52%
San Diego 11 5.53%
Other 47 23.62%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 199. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2010, 03:12 AM

10,138 posts, read 15,928,719 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
Well I posted the definition of tropical to show him that what people were saying about Miami being tropical was true according to the definition. He told me I was using the popular definition. I guess I should have used the unpopular definition.

I also did a search on tropical UV like he keeps ranting about and came up with no real sources just some posts of his under the name Razwell on trip adviser from 2005 ranting that Miami was not tropical because they didn't have tropical UV.

I think that he thinks that people in Miami and other parts of Florida really care whether it is considered tropical or not. Most just like the weather and really couldn't care whether it was considered tropical or arctic just as long as it stays warm and sunny.
I have never met someone that annoying before in C-D. Pointless ranting. Thank you for clarifying though~

Old 04-10-2010, 03:22 AM

24,606 posts, read 55,756,157 times
Like I said I believe Miami is truly tropical, but maybe not in the equatorial sense that it never gets cold, because it does get cold. But many other places on the edge of the tropics like Hong Kong and Rio de Janeiro do get cold as well but they're tropical.

Old 04-10-2010, 02:09 PM

437 posts, read 1,294,328 times
Central and Southern Florida are Sub-Tropical.
Once you get beyond Orlando, its warm-temperate.

Old 04-10-2010, 07:40 PM

1,039 posts, read 1,853,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zone13 View Post
Central and Southern Florida are Sub-Tropical.
Once you get beyond Orlando, its warm-temperate.
Correct. Florida is north of the Tropic of Cancer, therefore no matter how you look at it, it is sub-tropical, not tropical.

Old 04-10-2010, 09:01 PM

2,413 posts, read 5,720,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickSantos View Post
I have outdone you and you cannnot handle it. I have researched this subject since July 2002 thoroughly . A Google search of Razwell Miami not tropical" will reveal extensive posts.

Your place is NOT tropical. Tampa is NOT even subtropical- it is the southern limit of the TEMPERATE ZONE.

TAMPA'S COCONUTS ARE EVEN SMALLER THAN MIAMI'S AND ARE BASICALLY YARD ORNAMENTALS.

COCONUTS DO NOT BELONG IN TAMPA.THEY DO NOT THRIVE THERE, NOR REACH FULL HEIGHT, THEY ALSO HAVE EVEN MORE FREEZE DAMAGE THAN MIAMI'S.

TAMPA DOES NOT HANDLE TROPICAL VEGETATION WELL. BREADFRUIT, DURIAN MANGOSTEEN AND LIP STICK PALMS WOULD NEVER TAKE THERE- NOT EVEN MIAMI CAN GROW THEM.

BEING BETWEEN THE TROPIC OF CANCER AND THE TROPIC OF CAPRICORN MAKES YOU HAVE STRONG UV BY DEFAULT. So I can use the UV argument .

TROPICAL WATER COLOR IS MORE INTENSE THAN MIAMI GIVEN THE SAME CLEAR CONDITIONS.THAT IS BECAUSE THE UV SUNLIGHT IS STRONGER.

Florida is nice and evrything BUT SHOULD NOT VE ADVERTISED AS TROPICAL

I HAVE ALL OF MIAMI'S CLIMATE RECORDS. IT WAS SOOOOO CODL THERE MANY MANY NIGHTS OVER THE LAST 30 YEARS.

MIAMI'S COCONUT PALMS WERE IMPORTED. INITIALLY. MIAMI IN ITS NATURAL STATE WOULD HAVE MAINLY TEMPERATE ZONE VEGETATION.

IN FACT MOST OF THE EVELRGLADES NATURALLY OCCURING VEGETATION IS TEMPERATE.
I feel like Im arguing with a child

Here are your arguments I have a problem with.

Tampa is NOT even subtropical- This just proves that all your "research" wasn't enough. How can a place that can successfully grow coconut palms, and a variety of other Tropical plants NOT even be subtropical?

COCONUTS DO NOT BELONG IN TAMPA.THEY DO NOT THRIVE THERE, NOR REACH FULL HEIGHT- I know they are not natural, but they obviouly thrive because they fruit. And please define 'Full height". You said you have had conversations with landscapers, so you must be a tree expert right

TAMPA DOES NOT HANDLE TROPICAL VEGETATION WELL- Tampa can handle a variety of Tropical plants. I would know, because I live here, and plant them myself.

TROPICAL WATER COLOR IS MORE INTENSE THAN MIAMI GIVEN THE SAME CLEAR CONDITIONS.THAT IS BECAUSE THE UV SUNLIGHT IS STRONGER.- There are a lot more factors involved in water color than UV rays like depth, amount and type of bottom vegetation, and sediment, amount of precipitation, prevailing winds, currents, pollution, run-off, ect.

Florida is nice and evrything BUT SHOULD NOT VE ADVERTISED AS TROPICAL- Not ALL of Florida is Tropical, but according to many, the southern end is.

Old 04-10-2010, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Tampa never, ever belongs in a tropical discussion. Coconut palms do NOT belong in Tampa and will not do well. I have talked to South Florida's very best palm expert on this fact.

Miami is far too cold for breadfruit, durian and lipstick palms. How do you think Tampa would do? LOL !!!!!!!!

I suggest YOU check out tropical ocean temperatures and compare them to Miami and Tampa in January. LOL !!!!!!!!

The Florida Tropical Wannabe Pretender is arare species who will perform all sorts of acrobatics.

YOU NEED TO BE BETWEEN THE TROPIC OF CANCER AND THE TROPIC OF CAPRICORN TO BE TROPICAL. NATURE SAYS SO. STRONG TROPICAL CALIBER SUNLIGHT STRENGTH COMES ALONG WITH THIS. NICE WTAER COLOR COMES ALONG WITH THIS. YOU NEED TO TRAVEL TO CONTRAL AMERICA, YOU WILL SEE THE DIFFERENCE. ARCTIC UV, EVEN WITH AN OZONE HOLE WILL NOT BE AS STRONG AS THE TROPICS.

YOU DO NOT UNDERSTAND WHAT TROPICAL IS.
Can you point us in the direction of someone who DOES understand what Tropical is?

Old 04-10-2010, 09:20 PM

I drove down to Bradenton today (about 20 mins south of Tampa), going to the beach and its amazing just how drastically the landscape changes. plants that are rare to Tampa are EVERYWHERE. Thousands of Coconut trees, some 3 stories high, Royal palms everywhere, Big Banyan trees, its beautiful. Might retire down there someday

Old 04-10-2010, 10:28 PM

437 posts, read 1,294,328 times
Quote:
I have outdone you and you cannnot handle it. I have researched this subject since July 2002 thoroughly . A Google search of Razwell Miami not tropical" will reveal extensive posts.

Your place is NOT tropical. Tampa is NOT even subtropical- it is the southern limit of the TEMPERATE ZONE.

TAMPA'S COCONUTS ARE EVEN SMALLER THAN MIAMI'S AND ARE BASICALLY YARD ORNAMENTALS.

COCONUTS DO NOT BELONG IN TAMPA.THEY DO NOT THRIVE THERE, NOR REACH FULL HEIGHT, THEY ALSO HAVE EVEN MORE FREEZE DAMAGE THAN MIAMI'S.

TAMPA DOES NOT HANDLE TROPICAL VEGETATION WELL. BREADFRUIT, DURIAN MANGOSTEEN AND LIP STICK PALMS WOULD NEVER TAKE THERE- NOT EVEN MIAMI CAN GROW THEM.

BEING BETWEEN THE TROPIC OF CANCER AND THE TROPIC OF CAPRICORN MAKES YOU HAVE STRONG UV BY DEFAULT. So I can use the UV argument .

TROPICAL WATER COLOR IS MORE INTENSE THAN MIAMI GIVEN THE SAME CLEAR CONDITIONS.THAT IS BECAUSE THE UV SUNLIGHT IS STRONGER.

Florida is nice and evrything BUT SHOULD NOT VE ADVERTISED AS TROPICAL

I HAVE ALL OF MIAMI'S CLIMATE RECORDS. IT WAS SOOOOO CODL THERE MANY MANY NIGHTS OVER THE LAST 30 YEARS.

MIAMI'S COCONUT PALMS WERE IMPORTED. INITIALLY. MIAMI IN ITS NATURAL STATE WOULD HAVE MAINLY TEMPERATE ZONE VEGETATION.

IN FACT MOST OF THE EVELRGLADES NATURALLY OCCURING VEGETATION IS TEMPERATE.
Can you tell me the name of the palm expert you chatted with?

Old 04-11-2010, 12:49 AM

10,138 posts, read 15,928,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TropicalAussie View Post
Correct. Florida is north of the Tropic of Cancer, therefore no matter how you look at it, it is sub-tropical, not tropical.
I'm going to ask other posters, can we all just agree with this statement?
I already have agreed to it, good post man!

Old 04-11-2010, 12:56 AM

118 posts, read 137,810 times
The latitude of a city doesn't have anything to do whether its tropical or not. Hong Kong is technically in the tropics being at 22 N but it has colder winters than Miami and no one would call its climate anything but semi-tropical. Miami averages daytime highs at 72 during the coldest winter months-thats high enough for me to consider it 'tropical' the only problem is Miami seems to be prone to cold-fronts and every year it seems it has a couple days where lows push into the low40s/high 30s. So I still go with semi-tropical for Miami. The Keys however can be considered tropical. I don't know how anyone can even put Los Angeles/San Diego/Orlando on the list the first two are damn chilly/cold at night for 8 months of the year and Orlando probably sees temps fall to 32 every year for at least a night. This poll is a no-brainier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City