U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Most Tropical City Year Round?
Miami 140 70.35%
Orlando 7 3.52%
Los Angeles 7 3.52%
San Diego 11 5.53%
Other 47 23.62%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 199. You may not vote on this poll

 
 
Old 01-04-2010, 06:12 PM
 
Location: Jacksonville,Florida
3,773 posts, read 6,923,288 times
Reputation: 1923

Advertisements

Semi-tropical is the best way to state it because subtropical as far as North Florida goes is that it has completely different look and weather than Miami and South Florida. So semi-tropical is a fine term for me.

 
Old 01-04-2010, 06:15 PM
 
Location: USA East Coast
4,445 posts, read 4,663,478 times
Reputation: 1919
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
I don't know why there is so much denial on this.


The poll can say whatever they wants but Miami apparently gets much colder than Honolulu. 40F is not tropical by any stretch of the imagination and you yourself specifically asked about cities on a 'year round' basis.

As far as being tropical year round, HNL wins.
It’s a bit disengenous to take the coldest snap in the last 10 years in Miami and hold it up as proof that Miami is not tropical or much cooler than Honolulu in winter (which by the way it is not - Miami is only about 3 F cooler than Honolulu in January). In fact, you got me curious, so I checked to see. Here are the number of times according to the National Weather Service Office in Miami that the daily high failed to reach 70 F (or higher) in Miami/Ft. Lauderdale: National Weather Service Climate

Jan 2009 - 4
Jan 2008 - 2
Jan 2007 - 1
Jan 2006 - 4
Jan 2005 – 2

A high of less than 60 F in Miami might occur once in 15 years or so. Not only has there not been a frost in Miami in at least the last 6 years…but according to the NWS in Miami, here are the times the low was 40 F or lower in the last FIVE YEARS in January (NWS data by month only goes back 5 years):

Jan 2009 - 0
Jan 2008 – 1 (39 F for 1 hour)
Jan 2007 - 0
Jan 2006 - 0
Jan 2005 – 0

I agree that Miami is not quite as warm as Honolulu in winter…but it is in a totally different league than the cold California cities of LA and San Diego. Also IMO ...I much prefer a lush tropical climate with warm ocean waters in winter...to the frigid cold Pacific which comes out of Alaska and the brown and dead looking environment of arid climates like the West and southern California.
 
Old 01-04-2010, 06:19 PM
 
Location: Zurich, Switzerland
25,080 posts, read 32,511,080 times
Reputation: 10651
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
Just looking at a map and saying if a location is not between the Tropic of Cancer and the Tropic of Capricorn, it not tropical…. is not scientifically accurate. Not to insult you at all…but since I have studied climate for many years, I can tell you that it has been at least 100 years since genetic classifications were used in climate classification (e.g., location, air masses, wind zones…etc). In fact, nearly all science now uses empirical classification (observed data) as the bases for the ordering and classifying of natural phenomena.

Still keep in mind… the Tropic of Cancer starts at 23.5 latitude…Miami is located at 25.0 latitude (115 miles south of the Tropic of Cancer)…Key West at 24.3 latitude (60 miles from the Tropic of Cancer). We are really splitting hairs here (lol).
And I don't mean to insult you but having traveled to virtually every corner of the world to places that are definitely tropical-I can tell you that Miami is not like Indonesia, the Amazon or Hawaii at all.

I mean, sometimes the reason we split hairs is because there actually is a difference.
 
Old 01-04-2010, 06:20 PM
 
Location: ☀ ѕυnѕнιne ѕтaтe ☀
1,422 posts, read 1,794,187 times
Reputation: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Honolulu wasn't a choice, if you put Honolulu up against Miami, Honolulu would most likely win as the most tropical seeing as it is.

Despite the lower rainfall, Honolulu is just as green and lush as Miami. It's full of microclimates where one side of an island can get as little as 5" of rain per year and the other side can get over 200" of rain a year.

"Semi-tropical"="sub-tropical". So you seem to be admitting it's up for debate then? There is no debate whether or not Honolulu is truly tropical, but there is with Miami.
Other would have been the choice.

And """SUB-TROPICAL""" was the debate which Miami/South Florida is NOT. The rest of Florida is Sub-Tropical.
 
Old 01-04-2010, 06:24 PM
 
Location: Zurich, Switzerland
25,080 posts, read 32,511,080 times
Reputation: 10651
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
I much prefer a lush tropical climate with warm ocean waters in winter...to the frigid cold Pacific which comes out of Alaska and the brown and dead looking environment of arid climates like the West and southern California.
hahaha...actually most of California's climate is mediterrenean--some people prefer swamps and stickiness, to each his own.
 
Old 01-04-2010, 06:26 PM
 
Location: SF Bay Area
10,332 posts, read 13,727,480 times
Reputation: 5480
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLABoyJ View Post
Other would have been the choice.

And """SUB-TROPICAL""" was the debate which Miami/South Florida is NOT. The rest of Florida is Sub-Tropical.
well a lot of people just look at the listed cities and not "other", I voted Miami b/c out of the cities LISTED it was. Start a poll between Miami and Honolulu if you want to see what people think is more tropical. Again whether or not Miami is sub-tropical or tropical is up for debate obviously, but whether or not Honolulu is tropical or sub-tropical is not.

Btw have you actually ever been to Honolulu? If you have then you would probably see HNL is clearly the more tropical of the two in every way.
 
Old 01-04-2010, 06:30 PM
 
Location: ☀ ѕυnѕнιne ѕтaтe ☀
1,422 posts, read 1,794,187 times
Reputation: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
well a lot of people just look at the listed cities and not "other", I voted Miami b/c out of the cities LISTED it was. Start a poll between Miami and Honolulu if you want to see what people think is more tropical. Again whether or not Miami is sub-tropical or tropical is up for debate obviously, but whether or not Honolulu is tropical or sub-tropical is not.

Btw have you actually ever been to Honolulu? If you have then you would probably see HNL is clearly the more tropical of the two in every way.

I have not.

Side Note. What I should have said was in the continental U.S. and a Major City. Because for this thread other would qualify for Honolulu and continental Key West as I just found out.
 
Old 01-04-2010, 06:34 PM
 
Location: USA East Coast
4,445 posts, read 4,663,478 times
Reputation: 1919
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
And I don't mean to insult you but having traveled to virtually every corner of the world to places that are definitely tropical-I can tell you that Miami is not like Indonesia, the Amazon or Hawaii at all.

I mean, sometimes the reason we split hairs is because there actually is a difference.
I think the OP question was which city was the most tropical of the above. Clearly LA and San Diego are way too cold (with that freezing ocean ) ….and Orlando is still too cold. So the answer is Miami. I don’t think anybody is debating that places like Indonesia or the Amazon is more tropical…they are further south. Also they should look different…they are Topical rainforest climates (Ar)…not Tropical Savanna (monsoon) climates. I have been to Hanoi and Hong Kong…and they look quite similar to Miami in terms of flora and fauna.

Miami is the “ONLY” tropical metro area on the USA mainland. I think the current body of climate classification (Koppen, others) proves that without a doubt. Miami is located in the tropics.

Nice to hear about your travels though.
 
Old 01-04-2010, 06:39 PM
 
454 posts, read 766,862 times
Reputation: 398
Honolulu and Hawaii defines tropical in the United States in my opinion. Miami is certainly pretty tropical, just not the ideal type of tropical that is in Hawaii.
 
Old 01-04-2010, 06:40 PM
 
13,329 posts, read 13,299,849 times
Reputation: 3427
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native17 View Post
In the United States if you would have put Honolulu the I would have gone with it, but you didn't specify on whether if it has to be major U.S. city or just any city in the U.S. if that's the case then Key West is warmer than Miami, thus making it more tropical.
Miami probably gets colder in the winter than honolulu as well... I disagree on Miami being a "tropical city" at least climatological wise due to the fact that the ity of Miami and it's suburbs did receive snow in January of 1977 and it has gotten below freezing several times in the city of Miami, and as far as I'm concern no true "tropical" city goes below freezing ever...
so it is most certain that Miami is one of the warmer cities in the U.S. but not Tropical... I did vote for Miami since I didn't see the "other" option and from the above choices it is listed there and I guess is one of the closest cities the U.S. has to the being somewhat "tropical"
but for the "other" option If it's a major city you want then I would say Honolulu If it could be any city then I would go with Key West, FL
Miami has been declared a TRUE tropical city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.



All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top