Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most Tropical City Year Round?
Miami 140 70.35%
Orlando 7 3.52%
Los Angeles 7 3.52%
San Diego 11 5.53%
Other 47 23.62%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 199. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 03:26 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times

Advertisements

"This does not mean anything"---FLYMIA

Im sorry, but where do you think the term "Tropics" comes from? Do you think its a marketing ploy or something?

No, the Tropics are bordered by the Tropic of Capricorn and the Tropic of Cancer. Either you are within that boundary or you arent.

Old 01-04-2010, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post

Here is a wiki qoute from the main Miami City page:
"Miami has a true tropical climate, specifically the Tropical monsoon climate (Köppen climate classification Am)[18]
This is not really true at all, but rather the opinion of whomever wrote the article.

I think I'll rely on the various visitor guides, weather websites and govt links which clearly state that Miami has a subtropical climate.

Old 01-04-2010, 04:11 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,001,927 times
http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/322068/Koppen-climate-classification
Here is a Britannica article if you look close you can see South Florida is a different shade then the rest of the Southeast.

http://www.city-data.com/us-cities/T...d-Climate.html
This says Miami is a semi-tropical climate something that I never heard of but not sub-tropical.

City Information Geography and climate Climate - Miami Travel Information (http://www.mymiamitravelguide.com/site/_City_Information_Geography_and_climate_Climate/457/wps - broken link)

Another source showing Miami as tropical. Actually a cool map check it out.
http://www3.interscience.wiley.com:8...nimation1.html

http://www.civenv.unimelb.edu.au/~mpeel/World_Koppen_Map.png (broken link)

http://www.mapsofworld.com/world-map...mate-world.jpg

http://howtotravelamerica.com/climate_map.jpg (broken link)

http://www.arch.hku.hk/~cmhui/teach/climzone.jpg This map does not even use the Koppen system and this says Miami is tropical.
I guess I wont be able to change anyone's mind of course. But in my 3 years of studying geography I have yet to see anything that says Miami is not a tropical climate or have I yet seen a classification system used nearly as much as the Koppen Climate Classification. There is the Aridity index and the Holdrige Life Zone Classification system but I have never used these systems and they are rarely used for climate maps and basic climate classification.

Agree to disagree I guess.

Old 01-04-2010, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post
But in my 3 years of studying geography I have yet to see anything that says Miami is not a tropical climate
You mean you've NEVER seen anything that says Miami is a subtropical climate? really? Just google Miami Subtropical Climate and tons of things come up.

Anyway,
I think Oycrumbler is closest to the truth:
Quote:
Miami has a tropical climate but not in the tropics.
Its just those cold temps that really throw me for a loop.

Old 01-04-2010, 04:33 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,001,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
You mean you've NEVER seen anything that says Miami is a subtropical climate? really? Just google Miami Subtropical Climate and tons of things come up.

Anyway,
I think Oycrumbler is closest to the truth:

Its just those cold temps that really throw me for a loop.
I am talking about academic stuff, text books, maps, research etc.. Yes I have never seen something that says Miami is subtropical from decent sources. Of course online I have seen plenty of Subtropical stuf.

Tonight it is hard to think Miami is tropical with lows of 42 but most of the year it the coolest it ever gets is 68-70 thanksgiving it was in the 80s. Tuesday Night Havan Cuba will be at 51F I do not think anyone will debate if Havana is tropical or not.

Old 01-04-2010, 04:34 PM

1,416 posts, read 3,209,678 times
Wwhether Miami has a True Tropical climate to some or a Semi-Tropical Climate Which is the official climate or as some said a Sub-Tropical Climate. It definitely isn't sub tropical! But I just wanted to know which out of the cities was the most Tropical..as a comparison by Tropical Characteristics.

Thanks for the input though I see from the poll most say Miami. I think honolulu lacks the amount of rainfall or something.

Old 01-04-2010, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLABoyJ View Post
Wwhether Miami has a True Tropical climate to some or a Semi-Tropical Climate Which is the official climate or as some said a Sub-Tropical Climate. It definitely isn't sub tropical!
I don't know why there is so much denial on this.

Quote:
Thanks for the input though I see from the poll most say Miami. I think honolulu lacks the amount of rainfall or something.
The poll can say whatever they wants but Miami apparently gets much colder than Honolulu. 40F is not tropical by any stretch of the imagination and you yourself specifically asked about cities on a 'year round' basis.

As far as being tropical year round, HNL wins.

Old 01-04-2010, 04:57 PM

1,416 posts, read 3,209,678 times
Quote:
I don't know why there is so much denial on this.

The poll can say whatever they wants but Miami apparently gets much colder than Honolulu. 40F is not tropical by any stretch of the imagination and you yourself specifically asked about cities on a 'year round' basis.

As far as being tropical year round, HNL wins.
How is it denial when multiple websites says its True Tropical or Semi-Tropical?

LOL Anyhow again you can post all types of temperatures you want. Humidity, Rainfall is factored in as well, based on the earlier statics making Miami more tropical as someone earlier quoted.

Old 01-04-2010, 05:08 PM

4,429 posts, read 10,358,603 times
Quote:
Miami is not in the Tropics.

The Tropical Zone: An area between Tropic of Cancer (23.5 N. latitude) and the Tropic of Capricorn (23.5 S. latitude) on the equatorial region of the earth. This is a little smaller than the northern and southern extend of the mid-tropospheric warming expected from greenhouse gases.
Just looking at a map and saying if a location is not between the Tropic of Cancer and the Tropic of Capricorn, it not tropical…. is not scientifically accurate. Not to insult you at all…but since I have studied climate for many years, I can tell you that it has been at least 100 years since genetic classifications were used in climate classification (e.g., location, air masses, wind zones…etc). In fact, nearly all science now uses empirical classification (observed data) as the bases for the ordering and classifying of natural phenomena.

Still keep in mind… the Tropic of Cancer starts at 23.5 latitude…Miami is located at 25.0 latitude (115 miles south of the Tropic of Cancer)…Key West at 24.3 latitude (60 miles from the Tropic of Cancer). We are really splitting hairs here (lol).

Old 01-04-2010, 05:09 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,627,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLABoyJ View Post
Honolulu wasn't a choice, if you put Honolulu up against Miami, Honolulu would most likely win as the most tropical seeing as it is.

Despite the lower rainfall, Honolulu is just as green and lush as Miami. It's full of microclimates where one side of an island can get as little as 5" of rain per year and the other side can get over 200" of rain a year.

Quote:
How is it denial when multiple websites says its True Tropical or Semi-Tropical?
"Semi-tropical"="sub-tropical". So you seem to be admitting it's up for debate then? There is no debate whether or not Honolulu is truly tropical, but there is with Miami.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City