U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Most "Flood Prone" city?
Miami 5 6.85%
Tampa 0 0%
New York 0 0%
Houston 9 12.33%
New Orleans 47 64.38%
Chicago 1 1.37%
Cincinnati 1 1.37%
Memphis 0 0%
Minneapolis 0 0%
Austin (TX) 1 1.37%
Boston 0 0%
San Diego 0 0%
Baltimore 0 0%
Atlanta 1 1.37%
Mobile (AL) 0 0%
Other 8 10.96%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-05-2010, 01:06 AM
 
Location: ☀ ѕυnѕнιne ѕтaтe ☀
1,422 posts, read 1,761,163 times
Reputation: 212
Default Most "Flood Prone" cities?

I was having a debate with one of my friends about which major city would "Flood Easiest" due to hurricane, excessive rain, melting snow.

Levees, dams breaking, and sea walls falling can be included also.

Here is our top 15 cities.

Miami
Tampa
New York City
Houston
New Orleans
Chicago
Cincinnati
Memphis
Minneapolis
Austin (TX)
Boston
San Diego
Baltimore
Atlanta
Mobile (AL)

He chose Houston
I chose Miami.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-05-2010, 01:11 AM
 
Location: SF Bay Area
10,257 posts, read 13,412,655 times
Reputation: 5414
Sacramento, Ca is one of the most flood prone cities in the US. I've read it ranks up there with New Orleans in terms of how vulnerable it is to catastrophic flooding. There are a lot of aging levees surrounding that city. A warm heavy spring rain combined with lots of melting snow in the nearby Sierra's can cause a lot of flooding in the Sacramento Valley.

I out of your least I'd say San Diego is the least flood prone. Any flooding here is pretty minor. It really never rains that much, no hurricanes, etc.. For the most flood prone on your list, it probably is still New Orleans. The levees may be better now but it's still below sea level and has hurricanes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2010, 01:16 AM
 
Location: ☀ ѕυnѕнιne ѕтaтe ☀
1,422 posts, read 1,761,163 times
Reputation: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Sacramento, Ca is one of the most flood prone cities in the US. I've read it ranks up there with New Orleans in terms of how vulnerable it is to catastrophic flooding. There are a lot of aging levees surrounding that city. A warm heavy spring rain combined with lots of melting snow in the nearby Sierra's can cause a lot of flooding in the Sacramento Valley.

I out of your least I'd say San Diego is the least flood prone. Any flooding here is pretty minor. It really never rains that much, no hurricanes, etc..
I thought about Sacramento but being I am not from the west coast, I don't know the geographical make up too well. Thanks for the input though. and San Diego I know no hurricanes, its more of a what if! You know as if a hurricane was to slide up from the lower pacific and turn into San Diego would it be one of the cities that handled the rain well since the weather is quite nice there year round.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2010, 01:26 AM
 
Location: Miami/ Washington DC
4,688 posts, read 5,082,256 times
Reputation: 2215
Miami really does not have a flooding problem. Sure streets might fill up with water but you will not see flood waters over homes or street signs etc.. I really do not think it is possible. The everglades takes in a lot of water and so do all the canals, bay, ocean. Also there is the under ground aquifer that takes in a lot of water. Miami does not flood like an inland city or New Orleans. Even with Miami's low sea level.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2010, 01:31 AM
 
Location: Greeley, Colorado
631 posts, read 921,158 times
Reputation: 159
Seriously, everyone knows that NOLA's levees are the worst in the country which lead to the temporary creation of the world's largest ghost town (not to mention the only ghost town with a skyline )

Sure other places have flooding issues but nothing can touch the issues that Orleans has.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2010, 01:35 AM
 
Location: SF Bay Area
10,257 posts, read 13,412,655 times
Reputation: 5414
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLABoyJ View Post
I thought about Sacramento but being I am not from the west coast, I don't know the geographical make up too well. Thanks for the input though. and San Diego I know no hurricanes, its more of a what if! You know as if a hurricane was to slide up from the lower pacific and turn into San Diego would it be one of the cities that handled the rain well since the weather is quite nice there year round.
Sac is very flat except for the eastern suburbs in the foothills of the Sierra's. Two rivers converge and one of them feeds from the Sierra Nevada mountains which is packed with snow in winter.

If a hurricane, or remnants of one, were to hit SD i think some inland and mountain communities might have problems with flash floods. I believe the remnants of hurricanes in the past have caused flash flooding in areas, just not really in the city. SD has nice year round weather but b/c of that I don't think it handles a lot of rain well. I don't think it's ever rained more than 3.5-4 inches in one day. Rarely does it rain more than an 1-1.5" in a day.

Miami doesn't seem bad, just mostly minor flooding and doesn't seem to go that high into homes. But few cities can rival NOLA for how flood prone it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2010, 01:47 AM
 
Location: ☀ ѕυnѕнιne ѕтaтe ☀
1,422 posts, read 1,761,163 times
Reputation: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post
Miami really does not have a flooding problem. Sure streets might fill up with water but you will not see flood waters over homes or street signs etc.. I really do not think it is possible. The everglades takes in a lot of water and so do all the canals, bay, ocean. Also there is the under ground aquifer that takes in a lot of water. Miami does not flood like an inland city or New Orleans. Even with Miami's low sea level.

I agree it does not have a flooding problem, however in the post I said "Flood Prone". A city can be naturally inclined to flood and not have a problem. By natural I mean weather related and street level. also the other distinct water areas in or around a city. as Miami floods during some thunderstorms on certain streets not the city as a whole. So if some parts flood during thunderstorms, that sets you up for hurricanes or any water rising.

So just defending my vote for Miami as it does "NOT" have a flooding problem just very flood prone.

Nice input about the everglades. Most people forget Miami's water flows that way as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2010, 07:28 AM
 
Location: Long Island
7,762 posts, read 9,315,766 times
Reputation: 4923
On the Weather Channel they said that New Orleans, Miami, & New York City (in that order) are the most flood prone in a Hurricane.

Washington DC is very flood prone as well, it's a bit inland but the river connects to the Chesapeake Bay, if it were hit by a Hurricane storm surge would occur and flood Low-Lying DC.

Las Vegas too, those flash floods are very scary, where I live we don't really take flash floods too seriously (just be careful on certain streets with certain cars) but LV is on some other (blank) lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2010, 08:22 AM
 
Location: ☀ ѕυnѕнιne ѕтaтe ☀
1,422 posts, read 1,761,163 times
Reputation: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
On the Weather Channel they said that New Orleans, Miami, & New York City (in that order) are the most flood prone in a Hurricane.

Washington DC is very flood prone as well, it's a bit inland but the river connects to the Chesapeake Bay, if it were hit by a Hurricane storm surge would occur and flood Low-Lying DC.

Las Vegas too, those flash floods are very scary, where I live we don't really take flash floods too seriously (just be careful on certain streets with certain cars) but LV is on some other (blank) lol.

Has it ever flooded in New York? Of large mass?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2010, 08:31 AM
 
Location: New Orleans, United States
4,236 posts, read 5,740,455 times
Reputation: 1313
Quote:
Originally Posted by eon-krate32 View Post
Seriously, everyone knows that NOLA's levees are the worst in the country which lead to the temporary creation of the world's largest ghost town (not to mention the only ghost town with a skyline )

Sure other places have flooding issues but nothing can touch the issues that Orleans has.

Seriously though, New Orleans is probably the easiest city to flood in excessive rain, but these floods are nothing like the 08/2005 floods. The major cause of flooding in New Orleans from a hurricane would be from the rain and not a storm surge unless you live outside of the protected areas. As far as the levees are concerned, as of 2005 a lot of the levees, floodwalsl, and pumps are new so if it's the worst then something is wrong. Any area with a levee maintained my the corps of engineers possibly could be the worst. The flooding during Katrina was highly unusual and unnatural so don't compare that to the average NOLA flood.

btw, New Orleans floods because of its shape, not because it is below sea level.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top