Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2010, 05:07 AM

531 posts, read 1,143,130 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLnSAV View Post
^^^ Watch it Dannyy! How DARE you post something that says Atlanta ranks among the top world cities for anything!!!

Atlanta definitely has a lot of tall structures; unfortunately, Atlanta is as wide as it is tall!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2010, 11:28 AM

1,581 posts, read 2,823,064 times
Seattle has a growing downtown . Lots of stuff downtown downtown parks Seattle sculpture park,South lake union park,Free way park, Seattle center, Lots of public space. Seattle downtown has 950 restaurants, bars, and cafes downtown. Lots of flagship retailers like The flagship Nordstrom,The flagship REI, Flagship Columbia sportsware,flagship Barneys,and lots of national and international retailers. Seattle is tourist friendly we have lots of themed restaurants and places. Are Hard Rock Downtown is two storeys with also a roof top deck with fire pits it overlooks the sound and pike place market. The pike Place Market is open seven days a week .We tend to have lots of people on are streets downtown at all hours . Theres 13,000 hotel rooms and 60,000 living downtown . Downtown Seattle has 4.1 million square ft of retail space and always growing with new retailers moving in . Downtown has three movie complexes for 28 movie screens ,The original Sega GameWorks ,the Seattle aquarium,2 large malls,Experiance Music Museum,Science Fiction Hall of Fame,Pacific Science Center,Lots of Art museums,3 large Stadiums and arenas,and the Space Needle to name a few downtown. Seattle is very compact and easy to get around everthing is within walking distance. It has a subway tunnel ,surface trolleys,and the monorail with light rail heading out of downtown. Seattle has the largest fleet of ferries in the USA crossing the sound.Thats a few of the things that make seattle a vibrant place.

Old 10-19-2010, 10:44 PM

1,986 posts, read 3,598,964 times
Oakland, CA

- Heart of public transit - B.A.R.T, Ferries, AC Trancit Bus, Shuttles,
- the Largest Urban Salt-water Lake
- Restaurants, stores, shops, bars, clubs
- Paramount Theater
- Fox Theater
- Ice Skating Rink
- World class museum - only museum dedicated to the natural sciences, history, and art of California
- Oaksterdam University, Lincoln University, Laney College, Devry University, as well as other extensions
- 8 million square feet of LEED rated office space
- 19 million square feet of office space
- Dozens of parks
- Marinas

Old 10-20-2010, 01:14 AM

8,289 posts, read 13,559,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StefanProgovac View Post
Excluding those cities Miami Beach (which I really consider the 'downtown' of Miami) specifically South Beach is the best, most dynamic downtown out of all choices.
Well South Beach is very vibrant but it's part of the city of Miami Beach not Miami proper which has it's own downtown! Did you not notice all of the tall skyscrapers across Biscayne Bay as you leave South Beach?

The following pic is of South Beach in the foreground with the downtown Miami skyline in the distance"

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3170/...113bd798_b.jpg

pic by QuantumX

Old 10-20-2010, 02:06 AM

1,678 posts, read 3,737,015 times
1. NYC
2. Chicago
3. San Francisco
4. Boston/Philadelphia/Washington D.C/Seattle (tie)
5. Baltimore/Minneapolis/Denver (tie)
6. New Orleans
7. Portland
8. San Diego
9. Austin/San Antonio (tie)
10. Fort Worth/Salt Lake City (tie)

Old 09-24-2011, 10:27 AM

5 posts, read 6,995 times
Cool you're wrong!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DANNYY View Post
Chicago's Downtown has beaches. It is the 2nd largest Downtown in terms of building and the 2nd tallest city in the world only behind Dubai. Los Angeles simply cannot ever compete with that.

You posted in another thread if you combined all of Los Angeles's buildings to one skyline it would beat Chicago yet the city of Los Angeles only has 509 buildings total in its entire city (which includes Century City, Hollywood, & Downtown), lets combine the 42 in Long Beach, meaning the combined skyline would have 551 buildings for the entire skyline and it stills falls short to Chicago's one massive skyline with 1,117 buildings. Chicago is even taller than New York City, so go figure.

Los Angeles: Skyscrapers of Los Angeles | Emporis.com
Long Beach: Skyscrapers of Long Beach | Emporis.com
Chicago: Skyscrapers of Chicago | Emporis.com

I'm sorry which ever way you cut it, Chicago's skyline trumps Los Angeles and its a city in the Midwest. It has a beach in an urban setting in its downtown.

The Worlds Tallest Cities (presently with only the completed Towers) 2010:
01. Dubai
-- New York City*
02. Chicago
03. Hong Kong
04. Shanghai
05. New York City
06. Kuala Lumpur
07. Guangzhou
08. Singapore
09. Houston
10. Shenzhen
11. Toronto
12. Tokyo
13. Los Angeles
14. Seoul
15. Atlanta
16. Bangkok
17. Melbourne

* Where New York City would have ranked if the World Trade Center (Twin Towers) still existed today.

The Worlds Tallest Cities (presently with only the completed Towers) 2009:
-- New York City*
01. Chicago
02. Hong Kong
03. Shanghai
04. Dubai
05. New York City
06. Kuala Lumpur
07. Singapore
08. Houston
10. Toronto
11. Tokyo
12. Los Angeles
13. Guangzhou
14. Seoul
15. Atlanta
16. Bangkok
17. Melbourne

* New York City as indicated by the (--) would have been the tallest city in the world in 2009 if the Twin Towers stood.

US Cities in top 01: None
US Cities in top 03: Chicago (same order)
US Cities in top 05: Chicago & New York City (same order)
US Cities in top 10: Chicago, New York City, & Houston (same order)
US Cities in top 15: Chicago, New York City, Houston, Los Angeles, & Atlanta (same order)

Source: Ultrapolis World's Twenty-Five Tallest Cities

It cant even be argued, Los Angeles simply doesn't have the Downtown or Skyline to trump Chicago. (A Midwestern city)
You do not have beaches! You have a lake! And who the hell wants to see it? It's freezing, there's no waves. Los Angeles sits on the Pacific Coast. We have some of the best beaches, real beaches, you know, salt water, the ocean, sharks, surfers, beautiful women in bikinis, etc.?

Albeit, you have more buildings—that's it! Your weather sucks, your lake sucks and outside the city there is nothing...I'm talking Idaho nothing!

I have been to Chicago, it was a cool trip, but the only thing that Chicago beats Los Angeles at is the fact that you have twice as many skyscrapers—that's all! And that's mainly due to the fact that Los Angeles didn't start building skyscrapers until the late 70's early 80's due to the earth quakes. Chicago on the other hand doesn't have that problem, and Chicago was the birth place of the steel-framed skyscraper, so...

But, a downtown isn't only about buildings! San Diego is always mentioned with the top downtowns and they have a relatively short downtown skyline, but there's much to do! Chicago does have some nice nightlife, but Los Angeles' is considerably better, in fact I would only argue with a New Yorker about whose is better, because Chicago is definitely not in the discussion! And to a lesser extent maybe, San Francisco and Miami could chime in (both have real beaches)!

From Los Angeles I can jump on the I-5 and be in San Diego in less than two hours, — provided there's no traffic — which is another top-ten metropolis — with beaches better than Los Angeles — that's only minutes from Mexico! I can go on and on. From Los Angeles, I can be at the mountains, ocean, desert, forrest, lakes all within an hours drive; or I can go to Hollywood or Malibu and be rubbing shoulders with all the movie stars; NO OTHER DOWNTOWN IN THE WORLD CAN MAKE THAT CLAIM!!! SoCal/Los Angeles has so much more to offer than Chicago. The world revolves around SoCal! We set the standard—everyone else is playing catch-up...

Old 09-24-2011, 10:30 AM

16,507 posts, read 26,285,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearlok1 View Post
You do not have beaches! You have a lake! And who the hell wants to see it? It's freezing, there's no waves. Los Angeles sits on the Pacific Coast. We have some of the best beaches, real beaches, you know, salt water, the ocean, sharks, surfers, beautiful women in bikinis, etc.?

Albeit, you have more buildings—that's it! Your weather sucks, your lake sucks and outside the city there is nothing...I'm talking Idaho nothing!

I have been to Chicago, it was a cool trip, but the only thing that Chicago beats Los Angeles at is the fact that you have twice as many skyscrapers—that's all! And that's mainly due to the fact that Los Angeles didn't start building skyscrapers until the late 70's early 80's due to the earth quakes. Chicago on the other hand doesn't have that problem, and Chicago was the birth place of the steel-framed skyscraper, so...

But, a downtown isn't only about buildings! San Diego is always mentioned with the top downtowns and they have a relatively short downtown skyline, but there's much to do! Chicago does have some nice nightlife, but Los Angeles' is considerably better, in fact I would only argue with a New Yorker about whose is better, because Chicago is definitely not in the discussion! And to a lesser extent maybe, San Francisco and Miami could chime in (both have real beaches)!

From Los Angeles I can jump on the I-5 and be in San Diego in less than two hours, — provided there's no traffic — which is another top-ten metropolis — with beaches better than Los Angeles — that's only minutes from Mexico! I can go on and on. From Los Angeles, I can be at the mountains, ocean, desert, forrest, lakes all within an hours drive; or I can go to Hollywood or Malibu and be rubbing shoulders with all the movie stars; NO OTHER DOWNTOWN IN THE WORLD CAN MAKE THAT CLAIM!!! SoCal/Los Angeles has so much more to offer than Chicago. The world revolves around SoCal! We set the standard—everyone else is playing catch-up...
Almost a year old. Let it go.

Old 09-24-2011, 04:52 PM

3,671 posts, read 5,883,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearlok1 View Post

Honestly, you should of kept that "shark" comment to yourself lol. That is a BIG turn off for many people, me included. And most of the mid west gets hotter than LA in the summer. (I went to LA this summer), and plus up here we have humidity which makes things feel hotter than what it really is. And beaches are all pretty much the same all over, waves, sand, people half naked, only thing different is palm trees and surfers, (I could care less about salt water vs fresh water it's just water), there's nothing really special about any beach unless your in like the Bahamas or something.

Old 09-24-2011, 04:54 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,528,381 times
boston

Old 09-24-2011, 11:45 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,573,369 times
I'm like George Washington when everyone thought that Great Britain was greater than the > colonies.....he thought that the colonies reign supreme...

LOS ANGELES....reign supreme
San Diego
Charleston SC
Minneapolis
Oakland
San Jose
Denver
Kansas City
Dallas / Houston / Austin
Seattle
Atlanta
St. Louis
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City