Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 02:33 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,518,195 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwarky View Post
Excluding the following cities (Chicago, Boston, NYC and San Francisco), what cities and towns have the best Downtowns in the U.S.? Tell us why you believe they are great. Also, if links of a city's or town's central area are available, please include them.

As a side note: I have purposely excluded the four cities above, because these are some of the top urban areas in the country for extreme vibrancy. Plus, it's always good to see what other cities and towns this nation has to offer. So, enjoy!
Philadelphia...
Philadelphia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Center City, Philadelphia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Center City District / Central Philadelphia Development Corporation Of Philadelphia
http://www.gophila.com/C/The_Holiday...pping/648.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2010, 07:58 PM

1,004 posts, read 2,771,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erin3465 View Post
why is Portland always so underrated?

I think it's a more walkable, soulful, fun, and in many ways "urban feeling" downtown than higher rated cities like Seattle or Minneapolis
Yes I often find Portland underrated also. It is a larger city than many ( such as Minneapolis) but its metro area is much smaller. If I'm correct you may even notice that Portland also has a limit on a buildings height like DC and madison, many but few may overlook the city due to such reasons.

Old 01-07-2010, 06:47 AM

1,346 posts, read 4,213,285 times
I'd throw DC and Philly in with those top four cities easily. At least with Boston and possibly SF.

Old 01-07-2010, 07:17 AM

457 posts, read 1,108,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffknight918 View Post
I'd throw DC and Philly in with those top four cities easily. At least with Boston and possibly SF.

I think the preception that keeps those two cities out of most people's top 4 lists is that:

Philly's downtown is still a little run down in comparison to the rest, it still has a lot of parking lots, underdeveloped lots, and not as many high end amenities as the rest. Obviously, that has changed a lot in the past 10 years or so. But, the city still has a ways to go to catch up for several years of little to no investment.

With DC, I think the problem is that downtown is precieved as being too much of an office district. It dosen't have a Union Sq, Michagan Ave type area. There isn't as much retail/residential as in the top 4. This is also changing little-by-little. But to some extent the city is limited by a height limit and a seemingly insatiable demand for DT office space.

In both cases, I think the cities are moving in the right direction. And realitically, the gap between Bos and these 2 is far smaller than the gap between Bos and NYC or even Chicago.

Old 01-07-2010, 12:51 PM

1,588 posts, read 4,060,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timeofseasons View Post
Yes I often find Portland underrated also. It is a larger city than many ( such as Minneapolis) but its metro area is much smaller. If I'm correct you may even notice that Portland also has a limit on a buildings height like DC and madison, many but few may overlook the city due to such reasons.
Downtown Minneapolis would be in a much better position if it didn't have to contend with another city's downtown (10 miles) and the largest mall in the country (10 miles).

Old 01-07-2010, 05:43 PM

1,247 posts, read 3,861,713 times
Top Ten:

1. Chicago (personal bias)
2. New York
3. D.C.
4. Philly (huge and reasonably priced )
5. San Francisco
6. Boston
7. Los Angeles
8. Pittsburgh
9. Minneapolis
10. Seattle

Old 01-07-2010, 06:54 PM

1,004 posts, read 2,771,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackOut View Post
Downtown Minneapolis would be in a much better position if it didn't have to contend with another city's downtown (10 miles) and the largest mall in the country (10 miles).
I agree, I assumed thats why Minneapolis doesn't have a downtown like Portland, or more so another northern city it relates more to is Seattle due to skyscrappers etc...

Old 01-07-2010, 07:05 PM

196 posts, read 614,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MplsTodd View Post
I agree

Very Strong:
Philadelphia
Seattle
Portland
Washington DC (incl Georgetown w DT)
Don't really disagree with your list, but why are you including Georgetown in DC's downtown? They're far from each other. Shaw is closer to downtown than Georgetown is.

Old 01-07-2010, 08:39 PM

1,606 posts, read 3,341,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFriendlyGod View Post
Don't really disagree with your list, but why are you including Georgetown in DC's downtown? They're far from each other. Shaw is closer to downtown than Georgetown is.
I don't think they're that far. Last time I was in DC, we stayed at M Street and 24th--a quick walk to Dupont Circle, K-Street or Georgetown. I included Georgetown because it's IMO an extension of the conventional downtown and provides the high quality retail district that a very strong downtown needs to have.

Old 01-07-2010, 11:47 PM

5,864 posts, read 15,237,207 times
Georgetown is in no way shape or form part of dt D.C.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City