Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2019, 10:27 PM

23 posts, read 27,260 times

Advertisements

I’ve narrowed my search down to two cities where I can live with no car. Due to a medical condition, I cannot drive so I will rely on public transportation.

Which city is better?

I’ll be starting grad school in one of these cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2019, 03:31 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,258,471 times
Don’t know about MSPS, but Philly has great PT. Regardless, pick the school that will provide you with the best education and live close to campus. Years from now, it won’t matter how you got to class.

Old 06-03-2019, 04:29 AM

2,212 posts, read 1,451,196 times
Firstly, I agree with Pine to Vine. What's most important is which university has the better program for you. Just be sure to live near campus or on a direct transit route. If the program offerings are close enough to make city quality a deciding factor, here are my thoughts:

Philly is the big, East Coast city with all the positives and negatives that come with that, including more public transit (SEPTA ranks probably about fifth nationally), more cosmopolitanism, more cuisine, more nightlife, more hustle and bustle, etc. It just has more of what people expect of a big city. It is the most affordable of the major East Coast cities which is a huge plus in my opinion. IMO its East Coast location is another factor to consider, as you have very easy transit access to NYC and DC, which are fun to visit, as well as beaches and mountains. A one way ticket to NYC is like 12 bucks. It also still has plenty of blighted areas, decaying infrastructure (Philly roads are particularly horrible), angry drivers, etc. With the good comes the bad.

If you're looking for a "nicer," more manageable urban experience, Minneapolis will provide that. I have not taken MLSP public transit, but I hear it packs a big punch for cities its size. MLSP will offer a lot of what Philly does, just on a smaller scale and with less density. I believe MLSP is more affordable than Philly, it does not really suffer from any urban decay, and the city is quite safe. Minnesota in general is known for being nice, quite a contrast to the angry Philadelphian stereotype. Another factor to consider is its Midwest location, and if you can handle those colder winters and being more isolated.

Good luck!

Old 06-03-2019, 05:35 AM

4,675 posts, read 7,404,312 times
Philadelphia definitely has much better PT, but probably most important is your graduate program of choice and in which program you find the better fit.

Old 06-03-2019, 09:05 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,449,561 times
Philadelphia. Minneapolis is way too damn cold for someone who can't drive.

Old 06-03-2019, 10:16 AM

1,083 posts, read 1,036,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NawfalKulam View Post
I’ve narrowed my search down to two cities where I can live with no car. Due to a medical condition, I cannot drive so I will rely on public transportation.

Which city is better?

I’ll be starting grad school in one of these cities.
The short answer to your one question is that Philadelphia has a better public transit. Beyond that, which one is better is useless and subjective.

Here are my questions:

1. What are you studying?
2. How are you paying for it?
3. How do you expect to pay for your living expenses during school?
4. Does residency matter (i.e. private university or state school)?
5. Why only these two cities?
6. Other preferences?

Old 06-03-2019, 10:35 AM

2,304 posts, read 1,713,066 times
If you want a place with very good public transit, big city amenities, and a more urban, vibrant environment it's Philly hands down.

If you want a place that's safer (although also sleepier), with less depleted infrastructure and what most would consider a higher quality of life - along with decent (but not great) transit and big city amenities - then I'd choose Minneapolis.

Old 06-03-2019, 10:36 AM

1,541 posts, read 1,677,278 times
I don't even think it's a matter of which city has a better public transportation system. It's a matter of do you wanna be waiting outside in blizzard cold conditions in Minneapolis lol. Philly gets cold, yes. But nothing like MN.

Old 06-03-2019, 10:52 AM

7,733 posts, read 6,460,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Philadelphia. Minneapolis is way too damn cold for someone who can't drive.

Philadelphia is cold too. Sure, much warmer than Minneapolis, but its not exactly Orlando either. I will say waiting for the bus and train in super cold weather sucks, and I say that as someone who loves cold weather (would still rather wait in 0 degrees than 100, though) but its such a small thing in general to influence a decision. Once it gets below freezing people bundle up anyway. A few more layers is the difference between waiting in 27 versus -7 degrees.

Old 06-03-2019, 10:55 AM

7,733 posts, read 6,460,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJones17 View Post
I don't even think it's a matter of which city has a better public transportation system. It's a matter of do you wanna be waiting outside in blizzard cold conditions in Minneapolis lol. Philly gets cold, yes. But nothing like MN.

What is "blizzard cold" anyway? You do realise when there's a blizzard, it's not anymore cold here than in Philly when they have a blizzard? Blizzards can happen at any temperature cold enough for snow, and usually above 0. It's very rare for snow to fall below zero, let alone a full on blizzard. If you actually lived here you'd know our coldest days are sunny and bright, not blizzarding and sometimes not all that windy, even.

Honestly, I'd worry more about the crime rate in Philadelphia but whatever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City