U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2010, 07:16 AM

3 posts, read 3,829 times

Advertisements

i do not drive and need information on ski towns where it is possible to live without a car driving.
would like to here from people who live in these towns either east of west.

Last edited by CaseyB; 01-07-2010 at 11:37 AM.. Reason: don't post your personal email
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2010, 10:18 AM

270 posts, read 739,729 times
Breckinridge will get it done. I don't live here, but a buddy of mine does. Breck itself is very compact and walkable. If you live in the town, there is no need for a car. On the rare occassion we drove, we used the free public transportation called Free Ride. If you need to get out of town, there are shuttles you can hire who are familiar with driving in the snowy conditions.

Old 01-07-2010, 04:38 PM

56,563 posts, read 80,847,919 times
I'd say Lake Placid, Saranac Lake, Tupper Lake and Old Forge in Upstate NY. All are in the Adirondacks and have nice, cute walkable communities. Old Forge is considered to be less so, but I disagree as someone that has been there many times.

Walk Score - Helping homebuyers, renters, and real estate agents find houses and apartments in great neighborhoods.
Walk Score - Helping homebuyers, renters, and real estate agents find houses and apartments in great neighborhoods.

NY Downhill Ski Map

XC Ski Map

Welcome to Saranac Lake, New York!
Chamber of Commerce for the Town and Village of Tupper Lake
Lake Placid New York
Adirondack Old Forge, New York

http://www.tupperlakeinfo.com/community/publictransport.htm (broken link)
http://lakeplacidmedia.com/uploads/PDF/xpressTrolley.pdf (broken link)

Old 01-08-2010, 07:17 AM

Default no car in a ski town

thank you "metro" and "thank God",

i have been stuck in largo fl for the last 20 years and have had enough. gonna get out! i have never skied out west only skied east coast ice, and in my research breckenridge has always been on my top 5 of places that would appeal to me.
upstate ny holds a place in my heart as that is where my fathers side of the family is from.

going to keep looking for input, any info on home prices, rents, employment in these or any other similar places would be helpful. not really concerened with nightlife

thanks again
pete

Old 01-08-2010, 07:29 AM

11,877 posts, read 32,904,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bccpete View Post
thank you "metro" and "thank God",

i have been stuck in largo fl for the last 20 years and have had enough. gonna get out! i have never skied out west only skied east coast ice, and in my research breckenridge has always been on my top 5 of places that would appeal to me.
upstate ny holds a place in my heart as that is where my fathers side of the family is from.

going to keep looking for input, any info on home prices, rents, employment in these or any other similar places would be helpful. not really concerened with nightlife

thanks again
pete
Check out Salt Lake City. You can easily live there without a car, and it's surrounded by ski resorts, several of which are easy to get to via shuttle buses. Salt Lake City is also one of the few metro areas in the country that doesn't have high unemployment.

Old 01-09-2010, 07:17 AM

Default slc unemployment

jmt
thanks for the info. i looked it up on the census and slc unemployment is hovering around 6%, that is pretty amazing these days

pete
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or