Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Denver vs. New york City
Denver(Mile High City) 38 29.69%
New York City(Big Apple) 90 70.31%
Voters: 128. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 05:58 PM

631 posts, read 1,575,164 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
okay, fair enough. I was just curious but if you are just as satisfied with the amenities of Denver as you were with NYC then that's cool. I've never been to Denver but I'll be visiting in about a month, always hear good things about it.
Definitely one of the best cities in the nation man! Always pushed beneath other cities like LA, NYC, Chicago, Houston, etc for their size and importance but I think most people don't realize how important and beautiful Denver really is.

You'll definitely have a good time here. Just be prepared for the cold
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2010, 06:03 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,456,482 times

Here you can see Coors Field

Some pictures I took of Downtown Denver!

Old 01-07-2010, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post

Here you can see Coors Field

Some pictures I took of Downtown Denver!
Those are nice, and the highway shot with Coors is a shot that Denver doesn't have just a whole lot of. A classic photo shot lost on the Mile High City.

Old 01-07-2010, 06:12 PM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,731,967 times
no disrespect but are we supposed to be impressed with the pics or...?
i mean...i respect your tenacity as well. you rep your city pretty well. but do you honestly believe in your heart of hearts that denver is on par with nyc?? like seriously?

half of me wants to start posting pics, descriptions, etc. on the things you can do but the other half is just like chill...you're just trolling.

if you're really serious then i'll be serious. if not then...

and there is no way that you've been to nyc. at all. realize that you could do more in one borough than you could in all of denver. realize that you have more options that going to boston or philly.
realize that if you took half of queens, we'd be more diverse than any area in your state.

i dunno man. are you really serious..?

not to say that denver isn't nice. i've been there before. its cool. it just isn't on nyc's level at all period in no way shape or form on this earth or any other earth.

Old 01-07-2010, 06:16 PM

2,367 posts, read 7,653,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
i mean...i respect your tenacity as well. you rep your city pretty well. but do you honestly believe in your heart of hearts that denver is on par with nyc?? like seriously?

half of me wants to start posting pics, descriptions, etc. on the things you can do but the other half is just like chill...you're just trolling.

and there is no way that you've been to nyc. at all. realize that you could do more in one borough than you could in all of denver. realize that you have more options that going to boston or philly.
realize that if you took half of queens, we'd be more diverse than any area in your state.

not to say that denver isn't nice. i've been there before. its cool. it just isn't on nyc's level at all period in no way shape or form on this earth or any other earth.
I was serious when I posted this thread yes. I guess it just personal preference to which one you like more. I'd like to know why the people who picked Denver are being questioned for their choices though.

Old 01-07-2010, 06:17 PM

Quote:

So what you're saying is...

NYC has 14'ers?

Don't let the fact that NYC is X number of times bigger than Denver fool you into thinking that NYC is truly better than Denver in every way possible bro. As you can see from reading this thread, Denver stacks up quite well. The poll is also quite informing. According to your statements Denver should only have about 5 votes and NYC should have over 100, yet Denver has over a third of all the votes totaled.

BTW, we're ALL serious.

Old 01-07-2010, 06:21 PM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,731,967 times
well you are entitled to your opinions and i respect the tenacity but i think ppl are avoiding the thread because they don't "see" the comparison.

i'ma go eat and then i'll be back with pics, vids and a lot of text.

(i don't know what 14'ers are...is that local slang where you're from?)

also its not that nyc is bigger therefore its better. its that its bigger AND better and there's way more to do and what you can do in the bigger area that makes it better.

Old 01-07-2010, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTownNative View Post
I was serious when I posted this thread yes. I guess it just personal preference to which one you like more. I'd like to know why the people who picked Denver are being questioned for their choices though.
The fact that NYC is 'the capital of the planet' seems to be lulling people into a false sense of NYC beats the crap outta any other city any day for any reason (except maybe Chicago). This is not so. Even a mid-sized metro like Denver can stack up pretty well for many reasons, some being reasons that NYC just can't offer, like the Rockies and their many ski resorts, or a cleaner environment and a better public transportation system. Not to mention the fact that the scenery in Denver is among the best in the nation, plus people in Denver are typically happier, healthier, and just as if not more so driven than the people of NYC to make an impact makes Denver one of the best cities in the nation. It may not be huge (metro is only 1/6th the size of NYC's metro), it may not be an alpha world class city like NYC, but it has many perks and thanks to it being so far inland, most people just look it over as just another plains city. But then people go there and are completely shocked by the impressions that Denver leaves.

Basically it comes down to this: people can't understand that just because Denver isn't anywhere near the size of NYC, nor has anywhere near the amount of influence of NYC, doesn't mean that Denver can't stack up against (if not beat) NYC in other ways.

Old 01-07-2010, 06:28 PM

Quote:
well you are entitled to your opinions and i respect the tenacity but i think ppl are avoiding the thread because they don't "see" the comparison.

i'ma go eat and then i'll be back with pics, vids and a lot of text.

(i don't know what 14'ers are...is that local slang where you're from?)

also its not that nyc is bigger therefore its better. its that its bigger AND better and there's way more to do and what you can do in the bigger area that makes it better.
Yeah well right now you're talking the talk but I ain't seeing any proof, but I guess that'll have to wait till you get back. But just because a city is bigger doesn't mean that there's always more to do (Mesa, Arizona comes to mind right now). Perhaps you should make a trip out here and just experience Denver firsthand.

BTW, 14'ers are mountains. LEGIT mountains, whose peaks top 14,000ft or more. Colorado has 54 such monsters. How many does the entire state of New York have? I'm willing to bet not many if any at all.

Old 01-07-2010, 06:31 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,880,874 times
It's obvious that there is no real comparison between Denver and NYC, but I think this is a legitimate question as far as which one people would prefer.

I would love to live in NYC and if I had enough money to live in a Manhattan penthouse or even a nice midtown rowhouse, I would probably choose NYC, at least for a couple of years.

But I would choose Denver over NYC as a place to live, especially as place to settle down and have a family, but even as a single person.

People like to talk about how much more there is to do in a place like NYC vs a place like Denver. Well that depends on what you like to do. I like to mountain bike, I like to be able to easily go to a baseball game after work.

You know you can get a lot out of a city like Denver that you just can't in NYC. So much becomes a giant pain in the ass in a city that large, that crowded and that expensive.

I even see it here in DC. There is so much to do here, yet so few people actually get out and do anything because they spend 2-4 hours a day commuting, pay 100-300 dollars a month to park, plus $100 a month for transit, everything is a pain in the azz, expensive and extremely time consuming. Nobody likes driving ever, transit can be real pain, no matter how extensive it is.

There is something to be said about walking over to Coors Field and catching a game and being back in your condo, or even your suburban home in time to get some sleep for the next day. You can be mountain biking in real mountains (east coast doesn’t know what mountains are) and still have plenty time to catch an NHL game or go a broadway play on the same evening.

Everything is not a pain in the azz. To take a family of four on the subway to a day game in DC can take an hour each way and cost $20 each way. You can take light rail or park for free outside of LoDo.

When you live in a city like Denver, you have enough money and enough spare time to take advantage of what the city offers and it's not near the hassle to leave the city for the outdoors stuff. It’s not near the “rat race” or daily grind that you find in places like NYC or even here in DC. People get so caught up with commuting and paying $3000 rents that they don’t even know what they are missing. While you guys are trying to ignore the world around you with the ipods on the crowded subways and commuter trains trying to get home by 9pm, people from KC and Denver are down in Central Park taking photos of the city and then they go back and still do more than the average person in NYC does on a daily basis. Because they have the time and money to do so.

I think a city of about 2-4 million is the perfect size. Just big enough to have nearly everything you could ever want and not big enough to take the fun out of it and of those cities Denver is probably the one that offers the best package.

So, there is my opinion.

Last edited by kcmo; 01-07-2010 at 06:41 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City