U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Denver vs. New york City
Denver(Mile High City) 38 29.69%
New York City(Big Apple) 90 70.31%
Voters: 128. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-07-2010, 06:46 PM

2,601 posts, read 3,865,906 times

Advertisements

Based on your criteria, other than cost of living, NYC wins. Otherwise, it's personal choice. Colorado is a whole different experience, and one that some people would definitely prefer. As far as livability for some people, Denver would win. The proximity of the Rockies is something you can't come close to in NYC.

There is no right or wrong - people shouldn't get bashed because they might prefer Denver. They might not be basing their opinion on the criteria, but just on their personal preference.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2010, 06:46 PM

12,092 posts, read 20,223,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastBay-NowDCarea View Post
Based on this poll, even though NYC is ahead, I'd say that there is a troll on this board that keeps voting for Denver. There is no comparison. This has got to be the funniest poll I have ever seen.
People do that? That would be lame. Vote once, if you side wins great if not great, this is just for fun.

Old 01-07-2010, 06:49 PM

1,588 posts, read 3,438,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NowInWI View Post
There is no right or wrong - people shouldn't get bashed because they might prefer Denver. They might not be basing their opinion on the criteria, but just on their personal preference.
Is there a difference between an opinion and outlandish claims?

Old 01-07-2010, 06:51 PM
eek

3,576 posts, read 6,411,742 times
Default holidays (pics part 1)

i'll start with various pics:

new years:

this is on cnn, fox, msnbc, headline news, even your local channels probably show the new years celebrations here. they might cut into your local celebrations but they show ours. i know this from seeing new years in other states a few years back. CO might be different, but you cannot deny that nyc is on a world stage when it comes to this.

christmas:

(throgs neck)

you might know where that is.
this was the lighting ceremony:

i'm sure you know a few ppl in that photo.

thanksgiving:

i mean...i'm sure you see the parade on tv.

veterans day:

halloween:

r.i.p. michael jackson. one of the greatest entertainers of all time.

fourth of july:

Old 01-07-2010, 06:52 PM

631 posts, read 1,350,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackOut View Post
Apparently not for you.

Old 01-07-2010, 06:56 PM

12,092 posts, read 20,223,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post

new years:

this is on cnn, fox, msnbc, headline news, even your local channels probably show the new years celebrations here. they might cut into your local celebrations but they show ours. i know this from seeing new years in other states a few years back. CO might be different, but you cannot deny that nyc is on a world stage when it comes to this.

christmas:

(throgs neck)

thanksgiving:

veterans day:

halloween:

fourth of july:
Great pics.

Denver has the parade of lights and the capitol building that look awesome for Christmas. There is, also, a nice new years celebration in downtown but I don't have any pics of them. Maybe someone else can post.

This proves one thing though. NYC is better to visit and that I agree with but to live my vote stays with Denver as we can do all the same things just on a smaller scale.

I found this on the web:

http://www.downtowndenver.com/DNN/Po...49877Large.jpg

http://www.downtowndenver.com/Portal...Spiciarich.jpg

Old 01-07-2010, 06:58 PM

2,601 posts, read 3,865,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackOut View Post
I think most of us are smart enough to see through outlandish claims. There are outlandish claims in most threads. This isn't a test that we're being graded on, and you take some people more seriously than others.

Old 01-07-2010, 06:59 PM
eek

Default cultural things part one:

west indians stand up!

thats the west indian day parade.

all my puerto ricans stand up. puerto rican day parade:

did i mention that nyc has more puerto ricans than san juan?

still didn't get your latin fix? ok. dominican day parade:

Old 01-07-2010, 06:59 PM

631 posts, read 1,350,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post

new years:

christmas:

(throgs neck)

thanksgiving:

veterans day:

halloween:

fourth of july:
Okay, I see a lot of fireworks and parties...doesn't every city have that?

Old 01-07-2010, 07:01 PM
eek

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTownNative View Post
culture, diversity

Quote:
Queens has been touted as a diverse borough that is home to immigrants from all over the globe, and a key component of New York City's melting pot.

But the sheer number of cultures represented by its 2.2 million residents truly sets the borough apart from the rest of the city and beyond, according to new figures released last week.
"Queens is probably one of the most diverse places on Earth," said Joseph Salvo, a well-known demographer with the city Planning Department. "There are 1 million immigrants and a mix that is perhaps unprecedented in this borough's history."
Salvo described recent borough population trends for a group of Queens officials last week with the help of a dizzying array of charts and graphs.
The foreign-born population of Queens increased 6.3% between 2000 and 2006, he said.
That population is almost equally divided among a number of Asian and Hispanic groups hailing from countries including China, Guyana, Ecuador, Colombia, the Dominican Republic, India and Korea.
China tops the list, accounting for 11% of Queens' foreign-born population. That includes people from Hong Kong and Taiwan.
A look at race and origin also underscores the unique complexion of Queens, Salvo said.
"Each borough has a different story," he said. "The Bronx is half Hispanic and Brooklyn has a large black-Caribbean population."
Manhattan has a large non-Hispanic white population, partly because of the constant influx of young people. But it also has a large Hispanic population in Washington Heights.
Staten Island has a large number of white residents (72%). But its culturally mixed North Shore "has become like the rest of the city," Salvo said.
"Queens has quite a different profile, with equal components of the major groups," he said, referring to categories of white non-Hispanic, Hispanic, black non-Hispanic, Asian and multi-racial.
The surge in Hispanic groups in Queens is most notable among Ecuadorans. It jumped 68.9% between 2000 and 2006. The number of Mexicans increased 30%.
Mexicans are now the largest immigrant group in Astoria, an area once dominated by Greeks and Italians.
Assemblyman Josť Peralta, a first-generation Dominican-American, said growing numbers of Mexicans and Ecuadorans are settling in Jackson Heights and Corona as they find well-established enclaves there.
"The Colombians and Dominicans have been here longer and are moving from rentals to buying homes in East Elmhurst, Long Island and New Jersey," said Peralta. "In some cases, the Dominicans are renting out their properties to new waves of immigrants who are making Corona their home."
In 1970, only 21% of the borough's population was foreign-born. In 2000, that number jumped to more than 46%.
The constant flow into Queens of immigrants, who generally open small businesses, helps keep the local economy running, Peralta said.
"They are the economic engine that is vital for the borough," he said.
lcolangelo@nydailynews.com

Read more: Queens one of 'most diverse places on Earth,' new figures show
thats just queens, for you. if you don't want to read the article it basically says that queens is one of the most diverse places on earth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or