U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Denver vs. New york City
Denver(Mile High City) 38 29.69%
New York City(Big Apple) 90 70.31%
Voters: 128. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 11:26 PM

631 posts, read 1,359,517 times

Advertisements

Seriously guys just get off our backs. We made our point, not our fault if you can't bring yourselves to see that we actually HAVE a point.

And for those of you who have, I thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2010, 11:58 PM

2,945 posts, read 3,974,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
Union Station is the new center for Mass Transit in the Denver area and possibly the station for the proposed High Speed rail that could be built from Denver to Pueblo and possibly El Paso Texas.

From RTD. The plans for the expansion.

A nice shot of the skyline from jesneg1000 on flicker
That's all well and good, but that's still a long way off. As of right now, in 2010, Denver's Union Station is only served by a single route.

BTW, Denver's not getting high speed rail. High speed rail is meant to bridge the gap between driving and flying, which is in the 250-500 mile range. The closest big cities to Denver are SLC and KC, both over 500 miles away.

Old 01-08-2010, 12:05 AM

55 posts, read 131,520 times
This topic is comparing apples to oranges

Old 01-08-2010, 12:12 AM

12,102 posts, read 20,372,219 times
Do you think I do not know what is going on in my own state? Here is a article on the Proposed HSR from my hometown of Pueblo:

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. - New Mexico, Colorado and Texas are applying for federal funds to study the viability of a high-speed rail system in the hopes of putting new life into passenger railroads in the Intermountain West. A key piece calls for high-speed rail on the Front Range of Colorado. Pueblo leaders were among the earliest proponents of the idea.

The link: http://www.chieftain.com/articles/2009/07/11/business/local/doc4a57f475cecda849399585.txt

On top of this Union Station in Denver is the center for the light rail. It is a busy place now and will be a even busier place in the future.

Old 01-08-2010, 08:39 AM

2,368 posts, read 6,660,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hastamanana View Post
Yeah, he has a right to like Denver better but you have the right not to bite and ignore. Of course this thread is absurd as we all know New York has much better...... wait a second, I am not biting

By the way, does the OP realize that this thread is embarassing for Denver? If you want more try Rockies vs. Yankees thread. Good luck.
Well I've seen more lopsided polls than this one, so I guess those are "embarassing" to those cities too. This is city vs. city, I can pick whatever two or more cities I want to compare and contrast and to see the voting results.

Old 01-08-2010, 10:06 AM

For me the fun lies in the debate as the poll is unscientific anyway.

Old 01-08-2010, 10:17 AM

31,598 posts, read 53,177,590 times
Outside of the NE, Chicagoland and SoCal...are bullet trains really practical?

To me their a waste of money. I mean as I stated in the Cali Forum, I would rather see a Bullet Train from LA to Vegas than from LA to SF.

SF should focus on modernizing BART and ringing it around the entire Bay Area and possibly expanding out to some out-of-metro counties.

Otherwise, that's why we have airports.

Sorry for the tangent...back to Denver vs New York.

Old 01-08-2010, 10:38 AM

404 posts, read 1,227,888 times
New York, London, Paris, Tokyo,... Denver...

Im sure the world can be convinced that your city belongs on this list after all of your astute arguments.... ;-)

Old 01-08-2010, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Outside of the NE, Chicagoland and SoCal...are bullet trains really practical?

To me their a waste of money. I mean as I stated in the Cali Forum, I would rather see a Bullet Train from LA to Vegas than from LA to SF.

SF should focus on modernizing BART and ringing it around the entire Bay Area and possibly expanding out to some out-of-metro counties.

Otherwise, that's why we have airports.

Sorry for the tangent...back to Denver vs New York.
I have mixed feelings on it. I can see one in the "Front Range Urban Corridor" between Pueblo and Fort Collins including Denver as we have a lot of traffic on interstate. However, I am not sure it is particle south of Pueblo to El Paso Texas. However, it would be fun as I know I would be more apt to visit Albuquerque and El Paso Texas if I could hop on a high speed train and be there in a couple of hours. So maybe they anticipate this corridors growing and as we approach the 21st century it would be particle.

That is about Denver, as Denver is one of the key cities in this corridor, so it's all good.

Old 01-08-2010, 11:51 AM

2,945 posts, read 3,974,470 times
Denver will never get high speed rail, it's too isolated. It would make far more sense to fill in some of these gaps in corridors that have already been approved. For instance, Houston doesn't connect with Dallas, Jacksonville doesn't connect with Orlando, Cleveland doesn't connect with Pittsburgh, and Buffalo doesn't connect with Toronto. Fixing these gaps would make the system more comprehensive and useful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or