U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Denver vs. New york City
Denver(Mile High City) 38 29.69%
New York City(Big Apple) 90 70.31%
Voters: 128. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 10:05 PM

4,462 posts, read 8,230,775 times

Advertisements

NYC won the poll
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2010, 10:39 PM

631 posts, read 1,362,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackOut View Post
I just checked the Billboard Top 100 and I don't see one band from Denver on it. I'm assuming you're referring to the Fray (aka the Grey's Anatomy band) who are popular with people who watch that show. That band blows hard and represents everything wrong with the music industry.

I can just hear the conversation between two lazy chicks right now:
Bertha: Hey Lotta. Have you heard that one song on Gray's?
Lotta: Yes Bertha I have, but have no clue as to who they are. I really like it though.
Bertha: We should get off our fat a$$es and look the band up.
Lotta: Good idea. We can each buy the band's cd because I'm sure the rest of their songs will sound just like the one on Gray's.
Bertha: I'm going to buy all of their cds because I'm sure their music won't change. I love music for simpletons.
Lotta: Me too.

So who do you have left to throw out eon? 16 Horsepower who broke up up a few years ago? The 303 Boyz who are hardly known even Denver? Or are you going to try to impress us all with the Flobots who are a bunch of hacks?

Seriously, the only Denver band worth talking about and actually being proud of is Devotchka. I'm not even sure if they admit to being from Denver.
I got a few more things to throw at you.

First off, one chart ain't gonna cut it. I'll admit that Fray sucks but they still have a claim to fame. Flobots? HACKS? Damn your taste is music is lacking...sure not all of their stuff is awesome but they definitely have some good, quality music (much better than Fray). If you don't know who the '303 Boyz' are and why THEY are famous then why don't you pull your head out ur azz and pay attention to what tends to fly around the internet. You'll find quite a nationwide following about them. Their influence in other areas astonished me (from Texas to Nebraska and all the way to Seattle and Florida).

And if you wanna talk cars then I'd bet that my car smokes yours like a cigarette.

And I looked up your little reference band...and wow if that's your kind of music...man are you really in a position to NOT say anything. Indie died quite a while ago. Funny though that there's a punk band with a very similar name from NYC given the circumstance...

But really I think I'm done with you before this becomes personal. Because apparently you don't know jack about what pop culture music really is (and honestly I don't like pop culture music, but at least I still know what it is).

Old 01-08-2010, 11:06 PM

130 posts, read 255,356 times
Default Denver or New York?

You mean Manhattan, right? You don't even have to ask the question. If you're looking for everything a sophisticated person might want out of life, New York City has it all. I'd move there in an instant if I can afford the rent. Thinking of owning? Be prepared to pay a hefty sum for a small apartment -- you'd get a palace elsewhere out of state for the price of one anywhere in the city. You've got everything there you could possibly want: art, culture, free public activities; public transportation is top-notch; you don't ever need a car unless you want to go out of town and for some reason want to drive around. And even that you can manage without owning a car. Just rent one when you need it. I lived there for 15 years and moved back to Washington, DC to rear my daughter -- I needed more than one bedroom and couldn't afford it in Manhattan, plus she needed to go to school and public schools in Manhattan in those days weren't great (ca. 80s-90s). I visited there recently -- it's even better than I remember it. The streets are cleaner and the subways and stations are graffiti-free. I don't ever feel threatened in NYC. You just have to either hop on a plane or amtrak to get to where you want to go for non-city recreation. You can walk blocks and not feel fatigued because there is so much to occupy your senses, and people WALK everywhere. I miss New York terribly. Nothing compares to it, except Paris in my book. You don't have to go to fancy restaurants to enjoy New York. There are hundreds of undiscovered places that tourists don't know of right in your neighborhood. If you're senior and can afford the housing there, it's a great place to live in. No question about it.

Old 01-09-2010, 12:16 AM

330 posts, read 730,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
NYC won the poll
Of course NYC would win the poll against Denver or any other city that challenges NYC. I'm impressed that Denver is doing so well. I thought it would be less than 10% for Denver, but they're almost over 30%. Way to go Denver.

This is a very unfair comparison. You're talking about NYC a city of over 8 million and a NYC metro of over 21 million. Denver metro is only over 2 million and Denver proper is probably only 500k. So you Denverit's need to be proud to hold such a challenge in terms of city-data votes.

Other than that, this poll is an absolute joke.

Old 01-09-2010, 12:21 AM

12,106 posts, read 20,417,798 times
The bottom line is Denver does well because no one has been able to say one thing that you can do for fun in NYC that you can't do in Denver.

Old 01-09-2010, 12:36 AM

654 posts, read 1,106,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
NYC won the poll
I bet NYC wins every poll.

I think Denver & New York City are on two different levels, both seem fun, cold in the winter cities, one is a mile higher than the other, both cities are in the US, you can go skiing very close to these cities (Xanadu lol j/k), both are hot in the summer, one is inland one is coastal. What else is there to talk about?

Bigger isn't always better, I've never been to Denver so I can't come to a decision.

Old 01-09-2010, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N130 View Post
I bet NYC wins every poll.

I think Denver & New York City are on two different levels, both seem fun, cold in the winter cities, one is a mile higher than the other, both cities are in the US, you can go skiing very close to these cities (Xanadu lol j/k), both are hot in the summer, one is inland one is coastal. What else is there to talk about?

Bigger isn't always better, I've never been to Denver so I can't come to a decision.
Thank you for being one of the few people who have admitted that bigger isn't always better.

And you really should take a week and come visit us. It'd be worth it in so many ways you can't even realize.

Old 01-09-2010, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastBay-NowDCarea View Post
Of course NYC would win the poll against Denver or any other city that challenges NYC. I'm impressed that Denver is doing so well. I thought it would be less than 10% for Denver, but they're almost over 30%. Way to go Denver.

This is a very unfair comparison. You're talking about NYC a city of over 8 million and a NYC metro of over 21 million. Denver metro is only over 2 million and Denver proper is probably only 500k. So you Denverit's need to be proud to hold such a challenge in terms of city-data votes.

Other than that, this poll is an absolute joke.
I'm actually quite shocked myself that Denver held up so well in the polls.

And your stats are bit off for Denver: city proper is 600,000 while metro is over 3 mill. Big difference for us locals.

Old 01-09-2010, 12:52 AM
eek

3,576 posts, read 6,475,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
The bottom line is Denver does well because no one has been able to say one thing that you can do for fun in NYC that you can't do in Denver.
are you serious right now? go back to the beginning of the thread when i was posting pics.

you cannot go to the apollo, broadway, the many parades here (thanksgiving, pr day, dr day, west indian, etc.)

you don't have a chinatown

you can't go to the met

you can't go to the museum of natural history

you can't go to coney island

you can't eat all of the foods from various different parts of earth you never heard of

you don't have a times sq or a 34th st or a 6th ave or a 5th ave for that matter

no soho

no village

no teams with 27 championships

no upper west side

no washington heights

no east harlem

diversity isn't on par with queens

you can't ride a subway

you don't have anything on par with cgbg

no def jams, no sony building, no mtv

no empire state building, no chrysler

no iconic t shirts with your city's initials on it worn by everybody

no fancy new years celebrations seen worldwide, hell even nationwide

no fashion week

no financial district

no wall st

no u.n. headquarters

no statue of liberty

no ferry, no brooklyn bridge, etc.

the difference between nyc and denver?

denver: what can you do?
nyc: what can't you do?

denver isn't even on par with cities WITHIN ITS OWN AREA OF THE U.S.

la, sf, san diego, etc. got you. you guys claim do claim the west, right? you can't even take on the west OR the mid west (chicago) and you try to go from the west to the beast of the east? na son.

the end. stop this nonsense. peace to the middle east.

Old 01-09-2010, 12:56 AM

330 posts, read 730,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
Sounds like you have never left Colorado.

Just some thoughts:

1. NYC is behemoth and it makes Denver look like a population of 100 people.
2. NYC has the ocean - the Atlantic.

Never mind...Why the hell am I wasting time to try to explain that NYC isn't comparable to Denver. I quit. If you don't know, then take a damn flight out of Colorado to figure it for yourself. Jeez. This is a a joke.

All I can say is that you people out in Co. grow some killer dope to even fathom the though of being like NYC. I'll buy some of that stuff too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or