Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Denver vs. New york City
Denver(Mile High City) 38 29.69%
New York City(Big Apple) 90 70.31%
Voters: 128. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 12:25 AM

2,023 posts, read 4,185,767 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eon-krate32 View Post
I got a few more things to throw at you.

First off, one chart ain't gonna cut it. I'll admit that Fray sucks but they still have a claim to fame. Flobots? HACKS? Damn your taste is music is lacking...sure not all of their stuff is awesome but they definitely have some good, quality music (much better than Fray). If you don't know who the '303 Boyz' are and why THEY are famous then why don't you pull your head out ur azz and pay attention to what tends to fly around the internet. You'll find quite a nationwide following about them. Their influence in other areas astonished me (from Texas to Nebraska and all the way to Seattle and Florida).

And if you wanna talk cars then I'd bet that my car smokes yours like a cigarette.

And I looked up your little reference band...and wow if that's your kind of music...man are you really in a position to NOT say anything. Indie died quite a while ago. Funny though that there's a punk band with a very similar name from NYC given the circumstance...

But really I think I'm done with you before this becomes personal. Because apparently you don't know jack about what pop culture music really is (and honestly I don't like pop culture music, but at least I still know what it is).
Wow! Your putting the Frey, Flobots, and 303 Boys (BTW, no one listens to 303 Boys in Texas) against the New York scene which includes TV on the Radio, the Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Animal Collective (although they're originally from Baltimore), Grizzly Bear, Yeasayer, Vampire Weekend, MGMT, Sufjan Stevens (he's based out of Brooklyn now), and the list goes on and on and on. I mean, how delusional do you have to be to try and put Denver's scene up against New York.

Last edited by wpmeads; 01-09-2010 at 12:43 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2010, 12:56 AM

6 posts, read 12,874 times
Denver.

Old 01-09-2010, 12:59 AM

631 posts, read 1,574,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpmeads View Post
Wow! Your putting the Frey, Flobots, and 303 Boys (BTW, no one listens to 303 Boys in Texas) against the New York scene which includes TV on the Radio, the Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Animal Collective (although they're originally from Baltimore), Grizzly Bear, Yeasayer, Vampire Weekend, MGMT, Sufjan Stevens (he's based out of Brooklyn now), and the list goes on and on and on. I mean, how delusional do you have to be to try and put Denver's scene up against New York.
I wasn't then, I was simply trying to make my point that Denver's music scene doesn't suck.

BTW and FYI, when I was in Plano last year at one of the malls I saw a group of people (roughly 10 strong) all standing outside, blasting Don't Trust Me, and all wearing 3OH!3 t-shirts.

Old 01-09-2010, 09:05 AM

2,023 posts, read 4,185,767 times
Quote:
I wasn't then, I was simply trying to make my point that Denver's music scene doesn't suck.

BTW and FYI, when I was in Plano last year at one of the malls I saw a group of people (roughly 10 strong) all standing outside, blasting Don't Trust Me, and all wearing 3OH!3 t-shirts.
lol! I don't know that I would be bragging that Denver's claim to fame hip hop band is big in Plano. It doesn't get much more suburban than Plano. Besides, I've never lived in Plano. I've lived in Houston, Austin, Abilene (out in west Texas), and outside of Galveston. No one I've met talks about 3OH!3. They're really not big here. I did check them out just out of curiosity. They're a pretty goofy cliche Hip-Hop band. That kind of music may fly in Plano, but it wouldn't in places like Austin, Houston, San Marcus, or Denton. I'm kind of in agreement with Blackout. You haven't mentioned a good group from Denver yet.

Last edited by wpmeads; 01-09-2010 at 09:15 AM..

Old 01-09-2010, 10:03 AM

1,588 posts, read 4,060,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N130 View Post
Bigger isn't always better, I've never been to Denver so I can't come to a decision.
You're right. Bigger isn't always better and in the end it does come down to personal preference. Some people such as myself are perfectly happy living in a metro area the size of Denver because it is big enough to have all the amenities. NYC, on the other hand, has everything and more and can be overwhelming.

Within the U.S. NYC is in a league of its own while Denver is on par with several other cities/metros (i.e. Minneapolis, San Diego, Seattle, Pittsburgh, etc...).

Old 01-09-2010, 10:16 AM

Quote:
3OH!3 claim Boulder, not Denver. Why is this?

BTW, the fact that you hang out at malls in Plano, TX explains a lot.

Quote:

First off, one chart ain't gonna cut it. I'll admit that Fray sucks but they still have a claim to fame. Flobots? HACKS? Damn your taste is music is lacking...sure not all of their stuff is awesome but they definitely have some good, quality music (much better than Fray). If you don't know who the '303 Boyz' are and why THEY are famous then why don't you pull your head out ur azz and pay attention to what tends to fly around the internet. You'll find quite a nationwide following about them. Their influence in other areas astonished me (from Texas to Nebraska and all the way to Seattle and Florida).
I guarantee I know a lot more about music than you do my friend as I do some work in the industry. The Flobots are trying to do what Public Enemy and Rage Against the Machine were doing years ago. They are also trying to be as innovative as the Roots. The only difference is that Public Enemy, Rage Against the Machine, and the Roots are 10x better. I will agree with you, however, in that they are better than the Fray . As far as the 303 Boyz are concerned, I am right in saying that they aren't known. They aren't on the national stage and they are hardly known in Denver. Heck, anyone who is into hip-hop in Denver is listening to groups like Atmosphere, Brother Ali, P.O.S., etc...

Quote:
And if you wanna talk cars then I'd bet that my car smokes yours like a cigarette.
Seriously? No I don't want to discuss cars! How old are you anyway? I'm guessing 16, maybe 17.

Quote:
And I looked up your little reference band...and wow if that's your kind of music...man are you really in a position to NOT say anything. Indie died quite a while ago. Funny though that there's a punk band with a very similar name from NYC given the circumstance..
I stated Devotchka is the only current band out of Denver I like (because they are more original than the bands you've listed). It doesn't mean I sit at home and listen to them everyday. The fact is Eon-krate you're one of those people who wouldn't know real music (especially punk and hip-hop) if it hit you in the a$$.

Quote:
But really I think I'm done with you before this becomes personal. Because apparently you don't know jack about what pop culture music really is (and honestly I don't like pop culture music, but at least I still know what it is).
Go ahead and get personal. It will just give me and everyone else more reason to laugh at you.

Last edited by BlackOut; 01-09-2010 at 10:45 AM..

Old 01-09-2010, 10:38 AM

12,262 posts, read 24,455,268 times
Boulder is part of the Denver MSA!

Old 01-09-2010, 10:41 AM

2,943 posts, read 5,071,664 times
Quote:

And I looked up your little reference band...and wow if that's your kind of music...man are you really in a position to NOT say anything. Indie died quite a while ago. Funny though that there's a punk band with a very similar name from NYC given the circumstance...

Wow. That's all I can say. You were the one who didn't know who Run-DMC was, and now you're going to pretend like you're up on popular music? GTFOH. Seriously, GTFOH.

Old 01-09-2010, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
Boulder is part of the Denver MSA!
No kidding. I lived in Denver and obviously know more about the place than you do.

My point was that the group (3OH!3) knows better than to claim they're part of the Denver music scene.

Old 01-09-2010, 11:58 AM

1,712 posts, read 3,101,920 times
Definitely Denver

Underrated culture and restaurants there and the Rocky Mountains are in the backyard. Being a higher level mtn and rock climber some of my favorites in America are within several hours of Denver

Longs Peak East face "the casual route" (some locals up there might know what I am talking about)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City