Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: City in the South most likely to get a "Super Tower"?
Atlanta GA 71 44.94%
Miami Fl 33 20.89%
Charlotte NC 17 10.76%
New Orleans 2 1.27%
Other (please list in reply) 35 22.15%
Voters: 158. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2010, 08:01 AM

7,845 posts, read 20,767,654 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladarron View Post
That is very true! In Dallas the Renaissance Tower went under a renovation and later they decided to put a 176 foot spire on top of the building so the building would be the 2nd tallest building in Dallas!
Is it really a "spire" or some other kind of addition? It always looked more like an antenna to me.

Many buildings are designed to have crowns and/or spires that are a continuation of the structure...these obviously are part of the building and add to it's height, no matter how anyone feels about them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2010, 07:35 AM

2,852 posts, read 4,592,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
dc, houston, atlanta. maybe miami.

DC really? They have height restrictions so it's automatically eliminated and also it could be questioned if DC is actually in the south.

Old 01-11-2010, 05:56 PM

415 posts, read 1,207,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdw1084 View Post
DC really? They have height restrictions so it's automatically eliminated and also it could be questioned if DC is actually in the south.
yeah it's considered the south but by modern terms I don't think so.

Old 01-11-2010, 06:04 PM

2,023 posts, read 4,177,382 times
I don't know about DC. It's been a long long time sense I've been there, but it didn't feel at all like a "Southern" city. Parts Northern Virginia kind of reminded me of the Sunbelt cities (if suburbs actually differ greatly depending on the region), but that's about it. I guess if the people that live in DC say it's Southern, than I'll take they're word for it.

Old 01-11-2010, 07:12 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,538,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodymiami View Post
miami supposed to get this, construction is supposed to start in 2011. its going to be 1015 ft
yes it will be Miami to get the first supertall in this poll since One Bayfront Plaza has already been permitted and approved by the city. The issue is that there is a existing 17 story building on the property now that is owned by the developer and has to be demolished. The tower will be 70 stories & there will also be a observation deck.

Old 01-11-2010, 07:17 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,124,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpmeads View Post
I don't know about DC. It's been a long long time sense I've been there, but it didn't feel at all like a "Southern" city. Parts Northern Virginia kind of reminded me of the Sunbelt cities (if suburbs actually differ greatly depending on the region), but that's about it. I guess if the people that live in DC say it's Southern, than I'll take they're word for it.
People in DC don't consider themselves neither. Howver, they'll admit they identify more with the north than the south.

Old 01-12-2010, 03:38 PM

789 posts, read 1,523,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
People in DC don't consider themselves neither. Howver, they'll admit they identify more with the north than the south.
So do cities in the South or anywhere else, who consider themselves a big city. No matter how great the city they wouldn't want to be known as a Southern city, haha. I don't care if it is in the North or South anyway. It's kind of ridiculous.

Old 01-12-2010, 03:40 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,665,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenpar View Post
So do cities in the South or anywhere else, who consider themselves a big city. No matter how great the city they wouldn't want to be known as a Southern city, haha. I don't care if it is in the North or South anyway. It's kind of ridiculous.
Dead on again!

Who cares if a city is in the "north" or the "south"? Is this 1865?

Ive got cities in both the north and south that I love and that I cant stand, but its not because of their geographic locale.

Old 01-12-2010, 03:42 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,665,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
yes it will be Miami to get the first supertall in this poll since One Bayfront Plaza has already been permitted and approved by the city. The issue is that there is a existing 17 story building on the property now that is owned by the developer and has to be demolished. The tower will be 70 stories & there will also be a observation deck.
Although I still dont think any place in the south will get a building like Taipei 101 or the Petronas towers, if any place did, it would be Miami.
Of all the cities in the South, Miami is the one thats in need of space the most.

I think people forget why skyscrapers are built. They arent made to look pretty. They are made because land gets expensive and its cheaper to go up than out.

Old 01-12-2010, 03:49 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,124,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
Although I still dont think any place in the south will get a building like Taipei 101 or the Petronas towers, if any place did, it would be Miami.
Of all the cities in the South, Miami is the one thats in need of space the most.

I think people forget why skyscrapers are built. They arent made to look pretty. They are made because land gets expensive and its cheaper to go up than out.
True. I forgot to take into account space. Miami is already in the process of building up due to limited amount of land. Dallas is another city that is running out of room.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City