Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2013, 06:33 PM

14,848 posts, read 21,376,619 times

Advertisements

Best view of Minneapolis.
https://www.google.com/maps?q=Minnea...240.58,,1,1.84

Old 05-29-2013, 06:56 PM

6,514 posts, read 7,507,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
I've always wanted to take a picture from there, but I quickly realize I'm on a freeway. The skyline looks massive from that angle.

Old 05-29-2013, 07:08 PM

14,848 posts, read 21,376,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emcee squared View Post
I've always wanted to take a picture from there, but I quickly realize I'm on a freeway. The skyline looks massive from that angle.
I wonder what the view is like from this parking garage

or from the tc web tech office building

Old 05-29-2013, 07:13 PM

15,109 posts, read 15,702,386 times
I agree with most with respect to Minneapolis and Detroit being the 'best' in terms of overall density and height - although I must say my favourite is Cincy - nicely balanced between old and new - bridges and a river running through it

Old 05-29-2013, 07:40 PM

3,686 posts, read 7,180,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
Well everyone is going to have a favorite, regardless of how close they are. Let's take a look at these cities for comparison's sake. I prepared 2 pictures of each city, 1 day and one evening/night.

Some of these cities have surprising skylines for their size. Cincinnati is the city with the largest metro, beating out Louisville by almost 2 to 1 and Des Moines by almost 4 to 1, and it has a rather dense and urban skyline.

The third largest metro in Ohio, Columbus, has a bit of an awkward but still growing skyline. Its tallest buildings are spaced far apart, it lacks the certain urban density that the other cities, especially Cincinnati has, but from the right angle still looks to be a very large and growing city.

Des Moines is the small city and metro that I mentioned by far, but for a city its size has a very impressive collection of tall structures, densely centered around the center of the city.

Louisville is the second smallest city in my mentioned list, but it's Kentucky's largest city, by far. It and Cincinnati share a bank along the Ohio river and see plenty of shipping and industrial trade. Louisville is growing where Cincinnati is shrinking.

Often called the twin city of Columbus, Indianapolis is very similar in almost every way, including demographics, growth patterns, size, look, feel, and surprisingly similar culture, both are state capitals centrally located. However, Indianapolis offers a more dense and urban downtown than Columbus, but not nearly as large.

All surprisingly similar looking cities, the main difference between them is their access to water front. Indianapolis borders no major river, yet they all have a similarity in the skyline between them, yet each of them have something that makes them unique and stand out from the rest.
I seriously think you picked the worst angle of cincy just to prove your point. notice how both of the pictures are from the southeast end...

Old 05-30-2013, 02:55 AM

1,773 posts, read 2,653,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali3448893 View Post
Heres my list
1. Chicago
2. Minneapolis
3. Detroit(its okay, but the weird tall towers far from the other tower makes it seem bigger than it really is)
4. Cincinnati(the hills...)
5. cleveland
6. kansas city
7. St. Louis( it has the arch but the buildings are very small)
8. Indianapolis
9. Columbus
Very small compared to...? It seems to fit in just fine in the Midwest when I look up buildings city by city, why do people say this? Are buildings in Cincy and KC very small?

Old 05-30-2013, 07:48 AM

6,514 posts, read 7,507,444 times
Quote:
I wonder what the view is like from this parking garage

or from the tc web tech office building
I never even knew that ramp existed. Tell the Google people to drive up there.

I used to live in Seven Corners, behind the Holiday Inn, and used to climb on to the roof out my window and had a killer view of the 35W bridge with downtown in the background. I will try to dig up some pictures, but I doubt I have any.

Old 05-30-2013, 10:20 AM

1,704 posts, read 3,419,250 times
Quote:
but... but... Google Maps

Old 05-30-2013, 03:00 PM

416 posts, read 697,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post

Louisville is the second smallest city in my mentioned list, but it's Kentucky's largest city, by far. It and Cincinnati share a bank along the Ohio river and see plenty of shipping and industrial trade. Louisville is growing where Cincinnati is shrinking.

Often called the twin city of Columbus, Indianapolis is very similar in almost every way, including demographics, growth patterns, size, look, feel, and surprisingly similar culture, both are state capitals centrally located. However, Indianapolis offers a more dense and urban downtown than Columbus, but not nearly as large.

All surprisingly similar looking cities, the main difference between them is their access to water front. Indianapolis borders no major river, yet they all have a similarity in the skyline between them, yet each of them have something that makes them unique and stand out from the rest.
If Cincinnati could do what Indianapolis, Louisville, Lexington, and Nashville do by taking up most of the county or being county mergers, Cincinnati would be growing because Hamilton County is growing. Less emphasis on Lexington and Nashville. Density numbers speak for themselves: Lexington and Cincinnati being about the same in population, but Cincinnati is far more dense and urban. Louisville had a declining population before it merged with Jefferson County. According to the latest census, Cincinnati city is also growing. When it comes to development and skylines, Cincinnati's skyline and downtown is changing far more rapidly than Louisville, and isn't dotted with surfacing parking when you get away from the river and immediate CBD like Louisville. The hills also add to Cincinnati's skyline vantage points, where it's mostly river views for Louisville.

Indianapolis is a twin of Columbus? I think Columbus has a very different city feel because of its neighborhoods where I felt Indianapolis was very lackluster in its neighborhood vibrancy. They share good growth rates, and are state capitals, but there are a lot of differences.

I don't think they really have similar skylines. If we go by the criteria you list, then we could say that these cities are similar in skylines to cities all across the country.

Old 05-30-2013, 03:05 PM

416 posts, read 697,080 times
I don't see what is so great about St. Louis' skyline. It has the Arch, but besides that it is mostly box-style buildings. If you're going to add in views or speak of Clayton, lets start talking about Miami Beach, Covington, Jersey City, North Sydney, or Auckland's Takapuna.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City