Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 11:02 PM

2,023 posts, read 4,168,308 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussianIvanov View Post
It is something bad when Houston is ranked higher than NY in diversity. It is completely idiotic.
Houston's pretty diverse man. Especially the neighborhoods inside the Loop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2010, 11:08 PM

2,684 posts, read 7,351,456 times
You know, if you want to make your own 'diversity index' using whatever parameters you want, then find the data and make the index. It's really not that hard. Don't shoot the messenger, look at the data. However, no matter what I do, I know there will be a handful of people who'll complain because it doesn't fit their vision of reality. Tough luck. Numbers and evidence don't lie, but anecdotes do.

I gave you the formula already to calculate more than 3-4 groups: 1 - ([Group1squared) + [Group2squared] + [Group3squared] + [n squared] + .....)

Anyways, this shouldn't affect your life one way or the other. Anything about 0.5 is already really diverse (this means you have more than a 50% chance of running into someone of another ethnicity, race, etc.). I just made this thread to satisfy some curiosity, not to spark some controversy about how the US Census gathers data. Just know that 'diversity' can be analyzed on the 'nominal' (by name) 'ordinal' (by order or ranking) 'interval' (relative diversity) and 'ratio' level (numerical diversity). I like to judge things on the ratio level, since there is no axe to grind with pure numbers, but rather can be looked at by itself. Either way, America is really diverse as a whole. Shouldn't that mean something?

If you think the data exists to fit your version of reality, find it and analyze it. That's all.

Old 01-09-2010, 11:14 PM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,201,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NowInWI View Post
I'm sorry, I was being snarky. I just can't take it seriously when people get all bent out of shape because their city might not be the "most diverse" city in the country. Then, we get to nitpicking about who's Latino and who's not, who's white rather than Russian, etc. It is what it is - if one city has a fraction of a percentage more diverse people than the next most diverse city, what does it matter? I think we all have too much time on our hands to spend a Saturday night arguing about something that is really fairly trivial, in the whole scheme of things.
I definitely agree with you here, the "fraction of a percentage" thing just comes out a lot in internet sausage-waving. In real life most people know there's really no discernible difference between the numbers that say, SF, LA, and NYC got in the list in the OP. But there's nothing wrong with the OP either. The info Lifeshadower posted certianly means something (it's not completely wrong as some people here are saying. It's actually completely right), it's just not giving the entire picture of what "diversity" can be.

Old 01-10-2010, 01:20 AM

2,684 posts, read 7,351,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastBay-NowDCarea View Post
Interesting thread. My only concern is that the census bureau considers many non-white races as white. So in other words the census bureau considers people from all of the middle eastern countries, parts of Africa, and many other parts of the world as non-hispanic white.

NYC, DC, SF, and many other metro areas have a high population of people from the middle east - especially NYC and DC. SF metro especially has a high Indian population and they get pooled as white.

DC and NYC has a super high population of middle easterners. In DC metro there is a kabob restaurant in every corner - like no other city in America. But all of these non-white middle easterners are counted as white by the census bureau.

To me NYC is the most diverse metro I have ever been to, but according to this index NYC is ranked lower than many other metros that aren't even as diverse as NYC.

In summary, the white population numbers aren't really accurate because a lot of races that gets pooled as white aren't really white.
1) First of all, what do YOU consider 'white'? I don't consider North Africans (non-French or European), Central Asian non-Europeans (non-Slavs and non-Germans) not white. However, at the same token, do you consider British Indians to be white because they were born in Britain? How about French Blacks? See how I can turn this.
2) Indian Americans, Pakistani Americans, and Afghan Americans (South Asians) aren't considered white on the US Census. Where did you get that idea?

http://www.census.gov/prod/cen2000/doc/sf1.pdf (page 165)
Quote:
PCT5. ASIAN ALONE WITH ONE ASIAN CATEGORY FOR SELECTED GROUPS [19]
Universe: Total Asian categories tallied for people with one Asian category only and people
with no specific Asian category reported
Total: (400-479, 481-499)
Asian Indian (400-401)
Bangladeshi (402)
Cambodian (405)
Chinese, except Taiwanese (410-411)
Filipino (420-421)
Hmong (422)
Indonesian (423)
Japanese (430-431)
Korean (440-441)
Laotian (442)
Malaysian (443)
Pakistani (445)
Sri Lankan (446)
Taiwanese (412)
Thai (447)
Vietnamese (450-451)
Other Asian (403-404, 406-409, 413-419, 424-429, 432-439, 444, 448-
449, 452-459,
3) Proof of your assertion that NYC is statistically more diverse than the other metros I posted?
4) What is YOUR idea of diversity? Give me your parameters? Is it one that will make the East Coast metro areas more diverse than the West Coast ones?

I love how this thread has turned into "I know so and so..etc etc...' without evidence. Prove it.

Old 01-10-2010, 06:54 AM

2,957 posts, read 6,445,726 times
Quote:
I have not been to South America for but one time but I don't see the difference between Caracas and Sao Paulo.
Then that's really your fault, and reflective of your poor ability to perceive the obvious rather than there being a lack in diversity. This is like a Latino not being able to tell the difference between Lisbon and Moscow.

Quote:
And the majority of Latinos in Houston and San Francisco are Mexican. That huge Hispanic population in those cities isn't very diverse, it is mostly Mexican.
It may be primarily Mexican but if you think its not diverse then you don't know what you're talking about (as seems to be the pattern with you ). I can only really speak for SF here, but even in my elementary and middle schools I actually knew more Guatemalans and Nicaraguans than I did Mexicans. I went to high school with people from those three Latin American countries as well as El Salvador, Colombia, Peru, Bolivia, Puerto Rico, Brazil, Argentina and Venezuela, and that was just in my high school. Food from just about any Latin American nation is available out here too, and every ethnicity is represented here at least to some degree (except maybe Dominican). The Latino population here is hardly not diverse.

Old 01-10-2010, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Yes I am the stupid one because I am not politically correct
LOL this does not even come close to summing it up.

Quote:
I do not post to satisfy.
Clearly. You articulate like a caveman. Smh.

Quote:
The truth is that most people do not know the difference between any of the Hispanic countries.
Most IGNORANT people do not anyway. Anyone who has actually been around a diverse Latino population and has a clue can see differences. Too bad this is too advanced for you.

Quote:
It is not a place many people go to, it is not a place many people care about, and much of it is like 3rd world.
Sounds like Russia to me.

Quote:
Anyway Hispanic in Houston and San Francisco and LA is mostly Mexican. Not all but mostly. You can not call that diverse just because of that.
Hispanic in NY/NJ is mostly Puerto Rican and Dominican. Not all but mostly. You cannot call them diverse either then.

Quote:
And in SF and LA, most Asians are Chinese.
And in NYC most Asians are Chinese. So if we're going down based on that, you're going down with us.

Quote:
What they need to do is find a list with countries, not races. That would change this ridiculous list.
This list is only "ridiculous" to you b/c NY is not coming out on top here. EVERY list that has the East Coast ranked anywhere lower than #1 in anything has someone on here whining about it. Its a pattern we've all seen 345343334334334 times.

Old 01-10-2010, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
That's the funniest s... I've ever read.
Here's a picture of Costa Rica's national soccer team... just 11 guys from one of the smallest hispanic countries.

LOL wow yeah those guys all look totally identical! How do they even tell them apart?

Old 01-10-2010, 07:45 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,590,704 times
Quote:
It is not like that anymore. See.
Maybe not Moscow, however there are parts of Russia that are very third world.

And while Moscow isnt third world, it is THE most racist major city I have ever been too. The only place where it is considered fun and acceptable to beat up immigrants while video taping it to post on the web. Its also the only city in recent years that has elected neo-nazis to public office.

http://robertlindsay.wordpress.com/2...heading-video/

http://news.newamericamedia.org/news...b1dcbb316b3999

Ill take third world instead.

Last edited by Cowboys fan in Houston; 01-10-2010 at 07:57 AM..

Old 01-10-2010, 07:53 AM

648 posts, read 1,611,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman650 View Post
Then that's really your fault, and reflective of your poor ability to perceive the obvious rather than there being a lack in diversity. This is like a Latino not being able to tell the difference between Lisbon and Moscow.

It may be primarily Mexican but if you think its not diverse then you don't know what you're talking about (as seems to be the pattern with you ). I can only really speak for SF here, but even in my elementary and middle schools I actually knew more Guatemalans and Nicaraguans than I did Mexicans. I went to high school with people from those three Latin American countries as well as El Salvador, Colombia, Peru, Bolivia, Puerto Rico, Brazil, Argentina and Venezuela, and that was just in my high school. Food from just about any Latin American nation is available out here too, and every ethnicity is represented here at least to some degree (except maybe Dominican). The Latino population here is hardly not diverse.
I said mostly. What is it hard to understand the word "mostly" in America? I do not care who you went to school with. Who you went to school with does not sum up the whole city's diversity. SF is not more diverse than NY or LA and niether is Houston. They're not more diverse than Chicago either. That is ridiculous argument. That is ridiculous to claim at all no matter what the criteria is.

Old 01-10-2010, 08:02 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,590,704 times
Quote:
The truth is that most people do not know the difference between any of the Hispanic countries. It is not a place many people go to, it is not a place many people care about, and much of it is like 3rd world.
JESUS CHRIST! Do you honestly believe this?

You could not be more wrong.

I dont care if you dont want to be politically correct, but you are factually wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City