U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2010, 04:14 PM

6,920 posts, read 11,711,353 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
Lol dude I see an Acura TL and a Lexus RX300 in your pictures, that's not very hood like.

Camden, NJ and Gary, IN will give you a better description of hood than that.

I've been to Gary multiple times to visit family... the only difference between Gary and Oakland is that the Midwest is segregated and older...

And also note that the pics I took weren't of the "worst" parts of Oakland.... the "worst" parts would be the DEO and the lower bottoms and/or ghost town... I put worst in quotation marks because there's still strong community despite the high crime rate. In some ways, there's more community than in a lot of of the "more desireable communities".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2010, 04:23 PM

Oh and I definitely didn't mean to turn this into a "whose hood looks more hood" thread... comparing videos does not give you an idea of what its like to be in any given place anyway. Let me tell you first hand that in terms of poverty, desperation and hopelessness, DEO is easily as bad or worse than Gary, south Chi or 3rd ward NOLA...

But srsly... there are parts of Oakland that look as bad or worse than any of the above.

IMG_4466.jpg (image)

http://www.photolalia.net/images/_D2X4070.jpg

Old 05-25-2010, 06:33 PM

49 posts, read 87,486 times
Really? Here are some new orleans neighborhoods. In the 80s they were even worst.
http://creativeclass.typepad.com/the...ew_orleans.jpg
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...noliaUnitA.jpg

http://cache4.asset-cache.net/xc/745...48C4911A1C4ACC

http://cache1.asset-cache.net/xc/761...A658336F778961

http://z.about.com/d/goneworleans/1/0/2/8/P8240069.JPG

Old 05-25-2010, 06:35 PM

3,391 posts, read 4,037,064 times
That's really depressing.

Old 05-25-2010, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewOrleanstopics View Post
Really? Here are some new orleans neighborhoods. In the 80s they were even worst.

Yes really... ever been to the DEO? Or the lower bottoms and/or ghost town in west oakland for that matter? Its no better...

since I haven't posted any pics of west oakland yet (these aren't my pics)...

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3648/...bd86be2ef5.jpg

http://www.localcleanenergy.org/file...land%20pic.jpg

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_LmSR0uNyaS...09931dd6_o.jpg

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/...akland.600.jpg

http://www.arb.ca.gov/ch/images/westoakland.jpg

http://www.photolalia.net/images/DSC_0732A.jpg

Old 05-25-2010, 07:05 PM

Is it really hard to believe that CA has neighborhoods that are equally (or more) economically depressed than the equivalent neighborhoods in the Midwest/East Coast/South? Just because all you see on TV is sunny LA (which is usually only Beverly Hills/West Hollywood/Westwood...) doesn't mean it's all peaches and cream. That would be like if all people ever saw about New York was Times Square...

Old 05-25-2010, 07:18 PM

3,732 posts, read 6,822,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
Is it really hard to believe that CA has neighborhoods that are equally (or more) economically depressed than the equivalent neighborhoods in the Midwest/East Coast/South? Just because all you see on TV is sunny LA (which is usually only Beverly Hills/West Hollywood/Westwood...) doesn't mean it's all peaches and cream. That would be like if all people ever saw about New York was Times Square...
Pretty much how Miami is too, all you ever see is Miami Beach especially South Beach.

Old 05-25-2010, 07:30 PM

Quote:
No Oakland has its parts and some of those small desert towns close to the border too. But is Oakland on the level of poverty as New Orleans or Detroit. No! I forgot to mention cities like East St Louis or Gary Indiana. Here in New Orleans over 50 percent of property is blighted. Before the storm it was around 30 percent. In those blighted homes people live in them that cannot afford to pay rent and drugs are very prevalent in these blighted communities. I would say that 80 percent of New Orleans is the "hood". Yes you can escape the crime by going to St Charles Street, The French Quarter or Lakefront, but 80 percent of New Orleans lives amongst poverty and crime. I keep things real! I've been to all of these cities. New Orleans is the most murderous of all and has some of the worst poverty if not the worst in the States. Is New Orleans Port Au Prince in Poverty. No! Is New Orleans as murderous as Juarez. No. But are there parts that look close to Port Au Prince. Yes. Is it one of the most murderous cities in the world. Yes. Is it the murder capital of the U.S.A? Yes. Is it the only U.S city that was murder capital of the world at one point. Yes! In 1994. These are the facts. If you are disputing them it is because you have some infactuation with the "ghetto' life and wish your city can bost the title as #1 in crime and poverty. The fact is though that your arguments are flaud.

Old 05-25-2010, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewOrleanstopics View Post
No Oakland has its parts and some of those small desert towns close to the border too. But is Oakland on the level of poverty as New Orleans or Detroit. No! I forgot to mention cities like East St Louis or Gary Indiana. Here in New Orleans over 50 percent of property is blighted. Before the storm it was around 30 percent. In those blighted homes people live in them that cannot afford to pay rent and drugs are very prevalent in these blighted communities. I would say that 80 percent of New Orleans is the "hood". Yes you can escape the crime by going to St Charles Street, The French Quarter or Lakefront, but 80 percent of New Orleans lives amongst poverty and crime. I keep things real! I've been to all of these cities. New Orleans is the most murderous of all and has some of the worst poverty if not the worst in the States. Is New Orleans Port Au Prince in Poverty. No! Is New Orleans as murderous as Juarez. No. But are there parts that look close to Port Au Prince. Yes. Is it one of the most murderous cities in the world. Yes. Is it the murder capital of the U.S.A? Yes. Is it the only U.S city that was murder capital of the world at one point. Yes! In 1994. These are the facts. If you are disputing them it is because you have some infactuation with the "ghetto' life and wish your city can bost the title as #1 in crime and poverty. The fact is though that your arguments are flaud.

rofl @ the bolded... I would venture to say the entirety of what you just posted would say more about you being infatuated with the hood life than about me.

Not to mention that these "facts" you're mentioning aren't actually facts...

80% of New Orleans definitely does not live among poverty and crime... only about 20% of New Orleans is below the poverty line, which is the same as Oakland.

And Oakland isn't even the poorest city in the bay... not by a long shot. that award would go to either EPA, Marin City or Richmond.

If you want to talk about murder rates, EPA was the murder capital of the country and had one of the highest murder rates/100K the country's ever seen...

Richmond is the 2nd most violent city in the country right now, only behind New Orleans...

and Gary Indiana is not the horrible city you people make it out to be. While there's not much to do, it's not a terrible city... a lot of GI's rep has to do with the fact that Indiana's extremely segregated and black cities always get **** reps... anybody ever tell you why Gary Indiana's 99% black? All the white people left when Gary had its first black mayor back in the 40's. It's had the "black stigma" ever since...

Old 05-25-2010, 08:07 PM

Quote:
rofl @ the bolded... I would venture to say the entirety of what you just posted would say more about you being infatuated with the hood life than about me.

Not to mention that these "facts" you're mentioning aren't actually facts...

80% of New Orleans definitely does not live among poverty and crime... only about 20% of New Orleans is below the poverty line, which is the same as Oakland.

And Oakland isn't even the poorest city in the bay... not by a long shot. that award would go to either EPA, Marin City or Richmond.

If you want to talk about murder rates, EPA was the murder capital of the country and had one of the highest murder rates/100K the country's ever seen...

Richmond is the 2nd most violent city in the country right now, only behind New Orleans...

and Gary Indiana is not the horrible city you people make it out to be. While there's not much to do, it's not a terrible city... a lot of GI's rep has to do with the fact that Indiana's extremely segregated and black cities always get **** reps... anybody ever tell you why Gary Indiana's 99% black? All the white people left when Gary had its first black mayor back in the 40's. It's had the "black stigma" ever since...
I never said you were infatuated with the hood life. I said that if you can't admit the facts anyone in here, then they probably are just trying to make their city look harder then what it is basically. I never said that 80 percent of New Orleans was below the poverty line. I said that 80 percent of New Orleans lives amongst crime and poverty. Amongst means it is surrounding 80 percent of people in the city. See what you fail to understand is New Orleans does not work on a grid pattern like the rest of the United States. Meaning there are very few zoning laws here. What you fail to realize is as that a Mansion can be next to a shack here. The city works under Napoleonic laws and things are alot different here then in the rest of the states. This city runs more like a Carribean city is what I am saying. This means you see things here that you see in Carribean places. Large amounts of money in one hand while the rest of the city makes it day by day. Things don't get reported around here. The FBI knows the NOPD to be the most disfunctional group of police in the States. This city is ran by politicians who have had 200 plus years of clout in the city, Santo Domingo, and France. You see, there is alot that you might here or read, but come down here and spend a week. Go to a Second Line, Block Party, Indian Practice, Bounce Shakeoff, and you will see how the city is. The good, the bad, and the ugly. Like I said before, I've been to nearly every hood in this country and nearly every wealthy area of this country as well as many places overseas. Im telling you this is how it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City