U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 06-04-2010, 12:56 PM
 
Location: the future
1,749 posts, read 3,232,159 times
Reputation: 759

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceter View Post
Most murders 1990-2009 (20yrs) Most murders per-capita 1990-2009 (20yrs)

1. New York 994 per-year 1. New Orleans 59 per 100,000
2. Chicago 676 per-year 2. Washington 52 per 100,000
3. L.A. 645 per-year 3. Detroit 46 per 100,000
4. Detroit 447 per-year 4. St. Louis 44 per 100,000
5. Phila 376 per-year 5. Baltimore 42 per 100,000
6. Houston 337 per-year 6. Atlanta 36 per 100,000
7. Washington 293 per-year 7. Newark 31 per 100,000
8. Baltimore 290 per-year 8. Oakland 27 per 100,000
9. New Orleans 263 per-year 9. Phila 25 per 100,000
10. Dallas 258 per-year 10. Chicago 24 per 100,000
Memphis 24 per 100,000
Miami 24 per 100,000

Probably the most informative, clarifying peice of info on city-data yet....this should rest all the compare/ contrast murder rate threads
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-04-2010, 03:36 PM
 
85 posts, read 76,882 times
Reputation: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danbo1957 View Post
Most murders, 1990-2009 (20yrs)...... Most murders per-capita, 1990-2009 (20yrs)


1. New York 994 per-year..................1. New Orleans 59 per 100,000
2. Chicago 676 per-year................... 2. Washington 52 per 100,000
3. L.A. 645 per-year........................ 3. Detroit 46 per 100,000
4. Detroit 447 per-year.................... 4. St. Louis 44 per 100,000
5. Phila 376 per-year....................... 5. Baltimore 42 per 100,000
6. Houston 337 per-year.................. 6. Atlanta 36 per 100,000
7. Washington 293 per-year............. 7. Newark 31 per 100,000
8. Baltimore 290 per-year................. 8. Oakland 27 per 100,000
9. New Orleans 263 per-year............ 9. Phila 25 per 100,000
10. Dallas 258 per-year ..................10. Chicago 24 per 100,000
.................................................. 10. Miami 24 per 100,000
.................................................. 10. Memphis 24 per 100,000
Most of that info looks about right except Chicago. The real info....

Peak year in murders in 1990s
1992-943 murders (34 per 100,000)

Peak year in murders in 2000s
2001-667 murders
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-04-2010, 04:24 PM
 
Location: Oak Park, IL
5,520 posts, read 11,867,830 times
Reputation: 3815
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtParkRican312 View Post
Most of that info looks about right except Chicago. The real info....

Peak year in murders in 1990s
1992-943 murders (34 per 100,000)

Peak year in murders in 2000s
2001-667 murders
I think those numbers are averages over the 20 year period. At the peak, NYC was over 2000/yr.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-04-2010, 04:38 PM
 
Location: Cleveland
3,070 posts, read 10,406,893 times
Reputation: 934
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodymiami View Post
it was 1984 miami had 224 with a pop of 280,000 which was 80/per 100k
Is this wrong then? http://bjsdata.ojp.usdoj.gov/dataonl...risbyJuris.cfm

It only goes back to 1985 for all cities, but in that year (1985) it says Miami had 131 murders with a population of 385,892. This would make the murder rate 33.9/per 100k. I'm assuming it's wrong then? I'm at least pretty certain Miami had a much higher population than 280k in the 1984.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceter View Post
Most murders 1990-2009 (20yrs) Most murders per-capita 1990-2009 (20yrs)

1. New York 994 per-year 1. New Orleans 59 per 100,000
2. Chicago 676 per-year 2. Washington 52 per 100,000
3. L.A. 645 per-year 3. Detroit 46 per 100,000
4. Detroit 447 per-year 4. St. Louis 44 per 100,000
5. Phila 376 per-year 5. Baltimore 42 per 100,000
6. Houston 337 per-year 6. Atlanta 36 per 100,000
7. Washington 293 per-year 7. Newark 31 per 100,000
8. Baltimore 290 per-year 8. Oakland 27 per 100,000
9. New Orleans 263 per-year 9. Phila 25 per 100,000
10. Dallas 258 per-year 10. Chicago 24 per 100,000
Memphis 24 per 100,000
Miami 24 per 100,000
So, let me get this straight. The first list I know which is which city had the highest number of murders, obviously the highest will be the most (with some exceptions). The second one looks like the highest per capita, but what population are you starting out at? I believe you're missing several cities, I believe you're missing Cleveland though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-04-2010, 04:42 PM
 
788 posts, read 1,330,242 times
Reputation: 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by BelieveInCleve View Post
Is this wrong then? Stats about all US cities - real estate, relocation info, house prices, home value estimator, recent sales, cost of living, crime, race, income, photos, education, maps, weather, houses, schools, neighborhoods, and more

It only goes back to 1985 for all cities, but in that year (1985) it says Miami had 131 murders with a population of 385,892. This would make the murder rate 33.9/per 100k. I'm assuming it's wrong then? I'm at least pretty certain Miami had a much higher population than 280k in the 1984..
No he's wrong like I pointed out here

http://www.city-data.com/forum/14458849-post495.html

Miami's rate never went past 70.0 per 100k...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-04-2010, 09:21 PM
 
1,084 posts, read 3,366,660 times
Reputation: 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by DtX4415 View Post
No he's wrong like I pointed out here

http://www.city-data.com/forum/14458849-post495.html

Miami's rate never went past 70.0 per 100k...

Miami had a population of 347,000 and 224 murders year was 82 i believe. which gives it 65per 100k still high as it had that for 3 years straight


wait, got this from a times article

"When the FBI issued its annual list of the ten most crime-ridden cities in the nation last September, three of them were in South Florida: Miami (pop. 347,000) was in first place, West Palm Beach (pop. 63,000) was fifth and Fort Lauderdale (pop. 153,000) was eighth. Miami last year had the nation's highest murder rate, 70 per 100,000 residents, and this year's pace has been even higher. [LEFT]
Read more: http://www.time.com/time/magazine/ar...#ixzz0pwoiRqJu"
[/LEFT]

Last edited by somebodymiami; 06-04-2010 at 09:58 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-05-2010, 12:22 AM
 
814 posts, read 924,728 times
Reputation: 634
Quote:
Originally Posted by BelieveInCleve View Post
Is this wrong then? Stats about all US cities - real estate, relocation info, house prices, home value estimator, recent sales, cost of living, crime, race, income, photos, education, maps, weather, houses, schools, neighborhoods, and more

It only goes back to 1985 for all cities, but in that year (1985) it says Miami had 131 murders with a population of 385,892. This would make the murder rate 33.9/per 100k. I'm assuming it's wrong then? I'm at least pretty certain Miami had a much higher population than 280k in the 1984.


So, let me get this straight. The first list I know which is which city had the highest number of murders, obviously the highest will be the most (with some exceptions). The second one looks like the highest per capita, but what population are you starting out at? I believe you're missing several cities, I believe you're missing Cleveland though.
It's a list of cities that can be clearly defined as major cities. I did crunch Cleveland's numbers and they were 103 murders per year with an average per capita rate of 21 murders per 100,000 from 1990-2009. As far as Chicago, it had a total of 13,519 murders between 90 and 09 which comes out to 676 murders per year for that period.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-05-2010, 01:18 AM
 
814 posts, read 924,728 times
Reputation: 634
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodymiami View Post
Miami had a population of 347,000 and 224 murders year was 82 i believe. which gives it 65per 100k still high as it had that for 3 years straight


wait, got this from a times article

"When the FBI issued its annual list of the ten most crime-ridden cities in the nation last September, three of them were in South Florida: Miami (pop. 347,000) was in first place, West Palm Beach (pop. 63,000) was fifth and Fort Lauderdale (pop. 153,000) was eighth. Miami last year had the nation's highest murder rate, 70 per 100,000 residents, and this year's pace has been even higher. [LEFT]
Read more: South Florida: Trouble in Paradise - TIME"
[/LEFT]
The FBI releases crime data annually, but it's not in the ranking business. You can see that plainly on the FBI's website while the one thing you will never see on the FBI's website is crime rankings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-05-2010, 01:26 AM
 
814 posts, read 924,728 times
Reputation: 634
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danbo1957 View Post
Most murders, 1990-2009 (20yrs)...... Most murders per-capita, 1990-2009 (20yrs)


1. New York 994 per-year..................1. New Orleans 59 per 100,000
2. Chicago 676 per-year................... 2. Washington 52 per 100,000
3. L.A. 645 per-year........................ 3. Detroit 46 per 100,000
4. Detroit 447 per-year.................... 4. St. Louis 44 per 100,000
5. Phila 376 per-year....................... 5. Baltimore 42 per 100,000
6. Houston 337 per-year.................. 6. Atlanta 36 per 100,000
7. Washington 293 per-year............. 7. Newark 31 per 100,000
8. Baltimore 290 per-year................. 8. Oakland 27 per 100,000
9. New Orleans 263 per-year............ 9. Phila 25 per 100,000
10. Dallas 258 per-year ..................10. Chicago 24 per 100,000
.................................................. 10. Miami 24 per 100,000
.................................................. 10. Memphis 24 per 100,000
Thanks Danbo, you're the man
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-05-2010, 01:43 AM
 
788 posts, read 1,330,242 times
Reputation: 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodymiami View Post


wait, got this from a times article

"When the FBI issued its annual list of the ten most crime-ridden cities in the nation last September, three of them were in South Florida: Miami (pop. 347,000) was in first place, West Palm Beach (pop. 63,000) was fifth and Fort Lauderdale (pop. 153,000) was eighth. Miami last year had the nation's highest murder rate, 70 per 100,000 residents, and this year's pace has been even higher. [LEFT]
Read more: South Florida: Trouble in Paradise - TIME"
[/LEFT]
Key words, and I wouldn't read much into that article since the rate for 1980 was 65.5 not 70 like the article claimed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top