U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 09:16 PM

7,848 posts, read 17,833,554 times

Advertisements

There are a handful of villages in the state of North Carolina...I wonder how these would fit into the town discussion? Category:Villages in North Carolina - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

My parents live in one:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2010, 09:40 PM

6,830 posts, read 9,406,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
There are a handful of villages in the state of North Carolina...I wonder how these would fit into the town discussion? Category:Villages in North Carolina - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

My parents live in one:
Very similar to smaller New York villages, especially the North Carolina one called Walnut Grove. They even have their own website.

BTW most villages and towns in New York State are not the giant ones like Hempstead or Brookhaven on Long Island, but much smaller in population and land area. Some are tiny, here on LI, the village of Dering Harbor (Town of Shelter Island) only has a population of 13 people!

Just a guess but in North Carolina when a village gets enough people, it becomes a city. This may give it more local control??? I am not sure how it works down there. But on Long Island, and I think much of New York State, the very word CITY, is a 4 letter word if you know what I mean. So we stick with towns, villages and hamlets.

Old 01-11-2010, 10:17 PM

788 posts, read 1,688,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
To add another oddness there are a few states where all incorporated communities are listed as cities.

So Greenhorn, Oregon is a city of two people. At one time it was listed as a city of no people.

Oregon Blue Book: Incorporated Cities: Greenhorn

There's also the city of Ruso, North Dakota which has five or six people.

Yes like here in GA everything incorporates as a city no matter how big it is.

Old 01-11-2010, 10:26 PM

788 posts, read 1,688,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Very similar to smaller New York villages, especially the North Carolina one called Walnut Grove. They even have their own website.

BTW most villages and towns in New York State are not the giant ones like Hempstead or Brookhaven on Long Island, but much smaller in population and land area. Some are tiny, here on LI, the village of Dering Harbor (Town of Shelter Island) only has a population of 13 people!

Just a guess but in North Carolina when a village gets enough people, it becomes a city. This may give it more local control??? I am not sure how it works down there. But on Long Island, and I think much of New York State, the very word CITY, is a 4 letter word if you know what I mean. So we stick with towns, villages and hamlets.

No in North Carolina "Village" has the same Autonomy as a "City".They collect taxes and have to provide for there own police. So in NC "Village" is just a fancy way to say "City".

Old 01-11-2010, 11:23 PM

13,856 posts, read 22,278,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgyeldell View Post
Yes like here in GA everything incorporates as a city no matter how big it is.
You know I thought there was states I was missing in that. Although I think the Oregon city with 2 people is still the smallest city in the US. Even in North Dakota it looked like most of the settlements of less than ten people dis-incorporated or were never incorporated.

Old 01-12-2010, 10:31 AM

7,848 posts, read 17,833,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post

The Village of Clemmons, where my parents live in N.C., has a population of over 20,000 and is a suburb of Winston-Salem. It isn't a "small" village by any means, and it doesn't seem to have any plans to change its designation to anything else. It has always been a village and presumably always will be a village.

Old 01-12-2010, 12:50 PM

726 posts, read 1,816,748 times
NY loves to add extra layers to gov't to add more taxes. You can live in a "village" that's located within a "town" within a "county" within "NY" and owe taxes to all entities.

Old 01-12-2010, 01:30 PM

5,256 posts, read 11,621,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by choosing78 View Post
NY loves to add extra layers to gov't to add more taxes. You can live in a "village" that's located within a "town" within a "county" within "NY" and owe taxes to all entities.
You can say that again.
I can't say NJ is any better, there's 70 towns in one county! (Bergen county)

I'm sure it was established this way because the state wants the people to pay more taxes for the small schools, police stations, libraries etc. Most the towns are only hovering around 1 square mile!

Old 03-08-2012, 10:55 PM

836 posts, read 1,561,880 times
January 2010? Haha, I was pretty ignorant back then... It's too bad an accurate list can't be made though, it would be interesting to see.

Old 03-08-2012, 11:07 PM

3,188 posts, read 5,201,218 times
Aren't towns in the North something different than everywhere else? It's something weird; like I think I read in CT they have towns in towns. But anyways the largest town in the US is Hemstead, NY it's larger than some top 20 cities. The largest town in my states are:

Cary, NC (130k I believe)
Columbia, MD (90k I think)-I'm not sure if it's officially a town but it feels like a town

Btw is Virginia Beach, VA considered a town? If so then it's a huge town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City