Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 02:26 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,215,611 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
That's simply not true...but think what you will. I really don't care if you believe the truth or not.
Well I agree with him. Our suburbs are much more newer and lack character and history compared to NE suburbs (not all, but some). You have places in Dallas and Houston metro areas years ago that were just small country towns, but now booming suburbs full of subdivisions, retail, and jobs. These type of developments in Sunbelt suburbs are quite recent (5-10 years type of recent).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2010, 02:37 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,810,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
What isn't true? That the towns of the Sunbelt cities usually aren't as established as those of the Northeast?

Maybe I should clarify: The towns of the Sunbelt cities usually arean't as established as those of the Northeast prior to experiencing most of their development.
Most of the suburbs around Atlanta predate Atlanta itself. They aren't as old as Northeastern suburbs obviously...but I would think that a town that's 150 years old is just as established as one that's 200 or 300 years old. After a certain point, established is established.

Old 01-12-2010, 02:38 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,810,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcorrales80 View Post
Many of the suburbs in Phoenix are older than Phoenix, LOL! Glendale, Tempe, Guadalupe, Peoria, etc...Phoenix was founded in the late 1800's and the many other cities in the mid-1800's and Phoenix is far from being the most sprawling metro or city:

Understanding Phoenix: Not as Sprawled as You Think | Newgeography.com
Exactly my point...

Old 01-12-2010, 02:56 PM

2,023 posts, read 4,188,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Well I agree with him. Our suburbs are much more newer and lack character and history compared to NE suburbs (not all, but some). You have places in Dallas and Houston metro areas years ago that were just small country towns, but now booming suburbs full of subdivisions, retail, and jobs. These type of developments in Sunbelt suburbs are quite recent (5-10 years type of recent).
I kind of agree with tmac as well. Granted, in Houston, many of the historic neighborhoods and suburbs have been annexed by Houston. So i would say the only real historic suburb we have is Galveston (if you consider it a suburb).

Although, I've noticed that a handful of the newer suburbs are trying to establish they're own identity instead of becoming just another cookie-cutter suburb. The Woodlands north of Houston is the best example I can think of. It has a really cool urban/shopping area and the planners really used the natural setting of the trees and lakes to they're advantage. It was/is a very well planned city and has some of, if not the most attractive neighborhood in Houston. You also have cities like Denton outside of Dallas which is probably the most interesting suburbs in the DFW IMO. Denton is been a college town that has been engulfed by the Metroplex. I've had a lot of people describe Denton to me as a "mini Austin." It has a fantastic music scene and is probably the best in the Dallas Fort Worth area if not Texas. Hopefully, this trend continues and you start to see more of these kinds of new suburbs they're own unique personality instead of just being the same as everyone else.

Old 01-12-2010, 03:12 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,869,796 times
I think the difference is that in the Northeast, you're more likely to find more smaller townships and hamlets with town centers and older neighborhoods that have gotten swallowed up in the metro areas of the nearest big city. They aren't entirely absent in the Sunbelt at all, but they are not quite as frequent.

Old 01-12-2010, 03:52 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,460,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
I think the difference is that in the Northeast, you're more likely to find more smaller townships and hamlets with town centers and older neighborhoods that have gotten swallowed up in the metro areas of the nearest big city. They aren't entirely absent in the Sunbelt at all, but they are not quite as frequent.
This was basically what I was trying to say. Thanks haha

Old 01-12-2010, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
This definitely applies to Houston.

Old 01-12-2010, 03:55 PM

2,023 posts, read 4,188,234 times
Quote:
Austin and Dallas as well.

Old 01-12-2010, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpmeads View Post
Austin and Dallas as well.
Hell, Texas lol

Old 01-12-2010, 04:41 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,869,796 times
Quote:
Well I said you can find that in just about all metro areas, but the frequency in the North is higher due to earlier development patterns. I think the suburban areas of New Jersey best exemplify this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City