Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2010, 11:52 AM

3 posts, read 7,604 times

Advertisements

Someone please fill me in. My soon to be husband and I will be moving to Chicago in July for his job. He is an academic and I have worked in Real Estate related industries for the past ten years.

What I want to know is this: what is the Chicagoland Culture like? What is the real estate job market like? What's the best way to fit in and make friends?

Googling, "chicago attitude" or "feel" "people" or "culture" gives me bupkis. Can't tell if this is a good sign or bad?! LOL!
Googling for Seattle and any of the above, of course, gives you lots of stuff about how Seattlites are anywhere from (the polite) "insular" to the down right rude "cold and standoffish"--all true depending on your perception. I understand all of these sentiments I suppose, though I've lived here all my life and "get" it. I've always been a little more on the outgoing side, as far as Seattlites go, but in all self awareness, I do find it difficult to take the next step and call people to go out or initiate contact, pro'lly a little more PC with acquentences than strictly necessary and have the strange overly protective "houseproud" sentiments about Seattle and Washington that seem indemic in our area.

But that aside, I've never lived anywhere else and am afraid to alienate myself from my new culture.

Thoughts? Productive input only please--I really do want an opinion on the Chicagoland vibe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2010, 01:31 PM

1,989 posts, read 6,598,230 times
I would post this in the chicago sub-forum.

Old 03-03-2010, 08:56 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,127,593 times
Chicagoans are generally good spirited people from what I've gathered. As a transplant 3 years ago, I have an outsider's perspective on the general populace.

You'll know right of the bat how most people feel about you. If your respectful and don't carry an attitude most people will warm up very quickly to you. You'll definately feel a difference in the pace of life if you choose to live within the city of Chicago. One of the good things about the pace though is that your able to get away from it by visiting many of the parks and beaches througout the city.

There is no set "culture" in the city. It's a huge city, with tons of different neighborhoods and you'll get a totally different "culture" depending on which neighborhood you choose. So if you have certain interest, or characteristics you like, I'm sure the Chicago poster can help guide you to the right neighborhood.

Wishing you the best of luck with your move.

Old 03-04-2010, 06:33 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,939,634 times
You should take any advice here with a grain of salt.

IMO, that last thing you want when moving away from "home" for the first time is a load of preconceived notions about your new place.

Old 03-04-2010, 07:47 AM

3 posts, read 7,604 times
Thanks All, I appreciate the imput. I'm just nervous about moving. I'll check out the Chicago subforum. All the best!

Old 03-04-2010, 07:32 PM

253 posts, read 967,961 times
Having lived in Chicago and now living in Seattle/Bellevue, I would say Chicago people tend to be a little more open and talkative than Seattle. The Seattle people are more polite in public types but don't seem as willing to get to know you. Good, bad or indifferent - I prefer the Seattle culture.

Old 03-04-2010, 08:32 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,515,553 times
Chi has much more variety and you will be able to find what you want, this is all I will say without offending someone... I would not be worried.

Old 03-05-2010, 10:22 AM

643 posts, read 1,485,780 times
While any comparisons are full of pitfalls (I totally agree with the admonition from "David A." to take everything here with a "grain of salt") I'd say Seattle is more socially oriented to recreation (skiing, swimming, sailing, boating, camping, etc.) than Chicago is. You used the term self-awareness and I smiled because Chicagoans would flinch when reading that. More importantly, they wouldn't know what the terms really means. (Oprah or no Oprah, haha). Just not their thing, if you know what I mean (and I think you will).

Chicago is about big families, Catholic parishes, spectator sports, roots, and people who are happy with where they are. You will meet people in the Chicago area who (even though they live in a big city) have never traveled (and certainly never moved!) outside of the Midwest. Most midwest kids attend college in the midwest, for example. IME, Seattleites see the world, often move around a bit before returning to settle down, and are much more exploration oriented (Again, another over-statement, but it's my cultural observation) and adventurous in virtually every aspect of life. Chicago, however, has an authenticity that seems to have left (or been watered down) in Seattle over the years. I was born in Seattle and lived there into my twenties. Just left Chicago after ten years and have also lived in a number of other states/regions.

Chicagoland is huge and spread out so real estate as a job market is varied.
I'm not sure about the downtown market, but I don't think you'll find Chicagoland overall is much different than metro Seattle except that there isn't that "huge premium"- "mecca-segment" of waterfront that Seattle has and it didn't have a huge migration of people from a neighboring state (California) that Seattle has had over the past couple of decades. Boeing only brought a couple hundred execs (I think?) and there hasn't been a big influx of incoming corporations with a significant corporate relo market. I think it's a more settled and stable market in that regard but this is purely anecdotal. I bought and sold three homes in different areas while there - but they were all in the Chicago suburbs.

Seattleites tend to eat healthier and exercise more than Chicagoans. Chicagoans dress better but with more conformity and less regional style. If boating is Seattle's obsession, then perhaps shopping is Chicago's.

Okay - there are a few things for people to bite on. Hope this helped - best of luck - and remember: grain of salt!

Old 03-08-2010, 12:59 PM

7 posts, read 14,849 times
Seattle is much more techy, with a heavy dose of outdoorsy and recreational.

Chicago is much more working class and traditionally family oriented.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City