Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is SF's core more like Chi or Bos/Phil in terms of scale
More like Chicago 15 25.00%
More like Bos/Philly 45 75.00%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 09:40 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,456,812 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
Some retail sections of Center City admittedly could use some sprucing up but the residential and cultural quadrants of Center City are flawless.

People automatically assume vibrancy begins at a lofty per capita income level. Thats nonsense. Philadlephia may be less affluent than SF and Bos but that doesnt make it any less vibrant , there is a ton of energy and diversity here. Center City is the real deal which is what 2em51 was alluding to. It hasnt completely lost its soul to commercialization and the whitewashing/yuppification of most successful downtowns.

Downtown SF/Boston are full of BMW's/Mercedes/Range Rovers where Mom/Dad Buffy +Biff get lost in a sea of posers .
Dude, what? You're sitting here and saying everyone is so ignorant about about Center City and then go do the same exact thing about Boston/San Francisco.

Boston definitely lost some beautiful downtown neighborhoods when the West End and Government Center were built...but much of the downtown has preserved its historical architecture, and the classic medieval maze that is our streetscape remains unspoiled. Surrounding downtown is Beacon Hill and the North End, two of the most beautiful historical neighborhoods in the country. Boston Common and the Public Gardens split our financial district from beautiful Back Bay, the Theater District and the South End.

Quote:
Center City Philly streets are full of real people riding bicycles,scooters,skateboards, pocket rockets.
Ya, people definitely don't do any of that in Boston or San Francisco. Get real.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2010, 10:20 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,534,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeDog View Post
Philly seems very provincial and not very 21st century. SF, Boston, and even Chicago seem to attract people from around the nation rather than merely retain locals. Philly seems like a big local city and not very cosmopolitan in comparison. I don't live there, but have visited on business.

ever think how SF would be 80 miles away from LA?

not much right?

Old 01-12-2010, 10:24 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,534,629 times
west coast lol

being a minority, i don't see the great diversity. maybe in stats....i think i was the only indian person in northern cali
yeah, i walked through berkeley and saw the 7 indian stores...its a college town. ann arbor, new haven, cambridge are no different...

i felt out of place being indian, the cali people swear its a melting pot lol

Last edited by john_starks; 01-12-2010 at 10:39 PM..

Old 01-12-2010, 10:42 PM

36,655 posts, read 67,506,468 times
LOL...there's something wrong with rich people flocking to the center of the city?

Old 01-12-2010, 11:01 PM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,236,154 times
I find it funny that rainrock says downtown Philly is full of real people while downtown SF and Boston are not...beyond the simple fact that rich people are "REAL" too, and the the fact that philly has them as well, i wonder what kind of people rainrock thinks live in such downtown SF neighborhoods as the Tenderloin and Chinatown? A "sea of posers" in Downtown SF? More like a sea of humanity, with people from basically every background you can think of all in the same place. More diversity (racial, ethnic, social) than i've ever experienced in center city Philly for that matter.

And to contribute, i'll say that downtown SF does feel bigger and more vibrant and happening than downtown Philly does (i have been to Philly multiple times, much of it spent downtown, so i have a good idea of how it compares). Center City Philadelphia is great no doubt, it just is not quite on SF's level....close, but still noticeably less "alive" in a way. They have the same type of stuff going on in both downtowns, SF just has it over a greater area, and a bit more pedestrian traffic overall as well, from my experience, and gives more of a feeling of being in the middle of a large urban area compared to center city Philly.

Old 01-12-2010, 11:04 PM

1,694 posts, read 5,681,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john_starks View Post
west coast lol

being a minority, i don't see the great diversity. maybe in stats....i think i was the only indian person in northern cali
yeah, i walked through berkeley and saw the 7 indian stores...its a college town. ann arbor, new haven, cambridge are no different...

You want Indians? You missed Fremont and the South Bay by a couple miles.

Old 01-13-2010, 12:48 AM

1,213 posts, read 3,608,126 times
Quote:
west coast lol

Check out Artesia, aka "Little India" in LA next time.

Old 01-13-2010, 01:43 AM

65 posts, read 190,671 times
I live in Downtown San Jose, and it seems like my apartment floor has Indians as the majority...

Old 01-13-2010, 01:56 AM

36,655 posts, read 67,506,468 times
Quote:
west coast lol

Ur Indian?

I never knew that. Cool.

Old 01-13-2010, 03:03 AM

517 posts, read 1,318,453 times
Quote:
west coast lol

Um yea you might want to take a drive thru the east bay some time, especially Fremont. I live in Union City and have been exposed to the Indian culture since a very young age living here. In my small court there are three different households that are indian. In fact at my old high school we had so many indian students that they were one of the first high schools to offer punjabi for a foreign language. I literally run into someone who is Indian everyday here in the East Bay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City