U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2010, 10:07 AM

2,045 posts, read 2,491,710 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDCJoe View Post
This is an interesting global ranking I ran across today. I know many of the Canadians on this thread will cry foul.
http://www.foreignpolicy.com/node/373401
Actually, I don't see why they would cry foul. It seems fairly dead-on with many other "global cities" lists (with the absolute given that criteria is different across studies). I could see someone saying Chicago is a spot or two higher than usual, but Toronto seems about right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2010, 12:49 PM

102 posts, read 89,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
You should reread the sentence.

EDIT: I'm exaggerating the difference between the two because of the vitriol from Jimmy. They're both great schools. UofC is and has been ranked higher for a long while.
What the hell are you talking about? My "friend" Jimmy didn't start this retarded comparison between Universities. Some Chicago idiot made started spreading some lies and B.S. about University of Toronto, so Jimmy responded by bashing University of Chicago. Had the first not happened, Jimmy never would have bashed University of Chicago to begin with. PS, anyone who hasn't heard of University of Toronto, the biggest and arguably best-known University in the entire country is a blithering idiot.

And University of Chicago is tiny. Being prestigious is only impressive if you can do it with 10s of 1000s of students.

Old 09-07-2010, 12:53 PM

102 posts, read 89,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by username3 View Post
OK but what about the PEOPLE! The people of Toronto are way cooler than the people of Chicago.
From my experiences the people of Chicago are obese and lack fashion sense. They also aren't very well-traveled (the majority of them anyways).

Old 09-07-2010, 03:23 PM

619 posts, read 1,457,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny_FMan View Post
From my experiences the people of Chicago are obese and lack fashion sense. They also aren't very well-traveled (the majority of them anyways).
In the suburbs yes but in the areas near the lake its a rare occurence to see people who are obese. A lot of fit young people actually.

Old 09-07-2010, 06:28 PM

20,125 posts, read 21,737,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny_FMan View Post
What the hell are you talking about? My "friend" Jimmy didn't start this retarded comparison between Universities. Some Chicago idiot made started spreading some lies and B.S. about University of Toronto, so Jimmy responded by bashing University of Chicago. Had the first not happened, Jimmy never would have bashed University of Chicago to begin with. PS, anyone who hasn't heard of University of Toronto, the biggest and arguably best-known University in the entire country of Canada is a blithering idiot.

And University of Chicago is tiny. Being prestigious is only impressive if you can do it with 10s of 1000s of students.
I bolded an addition for you. It's pretty understandable that US citizens wouldn't know that much about other great universities abroad because there's such a large selection of good universities here. It doesn't make sense for our friend Jimmy to off on the University of Chicago because someone else doesn't know about the University of Toronto--that doesn't somehow make the University of Toronto more prestigious.

The contributions that the University of Chicago has made are huge and the caliber of education you get there is really high. You can just as easily say it's impressive, especially because of its small size.

Old 09-13-2010, 03:53 PM

182 posts, read 376,485 times
hey im in Canada, well toronto, Im reading about what's people is saying, its actually being like diff, Canadians you cant do that, Donot diss US cause US and Canada is BFF. U get it, instead of comparing cities, you guys going into American schools and saying its ****, you dont do that. America is a blessed place they have everything as well as Canada, we have everything to, From Tropix to Frezzing weather. Stop talking about unversities because nobody cares ok, only those18-22 year olds. University in this case somes last, we talk about crime and happiness ok. Toronto has less crime than Chicago. talking right now im listening to Armin Van Buuren - Virtual Friend, its makes me feel a emotional. Donot diss plzzzzzz.

Old 09-30-2010, 06:26 PM

5,256 posts, read 11,599,855 times
I'm bringing this thread back to life.
~

Chicago has better public transportation, and has a better waterfront- While Toronto is the more pristine, safer city in comparison. I like them both very much, but I really love the city scape in Toronto- Both of the cities have great skyline, and I guess Chicago's is better- But on a street level, Toronto has some of the most impressive architecture in North America. I'd also consider Toronto the more walkable city overall, and park space in Toronto is more abundant.

Basically, I give the edge to Toronto. Chicago is the more powerful, diverse city though.

Old 12-01-2010, 12:26 PM

222 posts, read 476,304 times
I would choose Toronto hands down. I got a lot of family in Chicago and they like, I had a brother visit Chicago and he act like it was nice but wasn't all that. But I know Chicago is a vibrant and cosmopolitan city but the crime rate is just off the hook. The crime rate in Toronto is low and I like the cleanliness of Toronto. IT also cause Toronto is more diverse having over 59% of it's population being foreign born and speaking over 100 different languages I love it's diversity better. Chicago do have diversity but it's large population of non immigrants doen't leav much room for too much diversity. Also I think TO is unique with the islands being just off the shore of it and also the bluffs of scarborough. So I choose T.O.

Old 12-01-2010, 12:33 PM

759 posts, read 1,619,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
I'm bringing this thread back to life.
~

Chicago has better public transportation, and has a better waterfront-
Chicago has a better waterfront, but I think its safe to say that Toronto has MUCH better public transportation.

After all, it's a smaller city and much smaller metro, yet it has far higher ridership.

Toronto's limited subway system has nearly twice the ridership of the Chicago L.

It has a vast streetcar and bus network that extends to the outer burbs, while Chicago has extremely limited suburban bus service. And Toronto bus frequencies are much, much better, especially in the burbs.

Old 12-01-2010, 12:43 PM

12,391 posts, read 23,771,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio248 View Post
Chicago has a better waterfront, but I think its safe to say that Toronto has MUCH better public transportation.

After all, it's a smaller city and much smaller metro, yet it has far higher ridership.

Toronto's limited subway system has nearly twice the ridership of the Chicago L.

It has a vast streetcar and bus network that extends to the outer burbs, while Chicago has extremely limited suburban bus service. And Toronto bus frequencies are much, much better, especially in the burbs.
I think this is more limited to attitudes toward public transit. Chicago certainly has the infrastructure for more ridership, and often time the subway cars could definitely put many more people on them. Outside of the red line they really aren't that filled up. A lot of people in Chicago still choose to drive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City