Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Austin-San Antonio CSA?
Yes 29 50.00%
No 29 50.00%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 09:47 AM

1,816 posts, read 2,501,274 times

Advertisements

If high speed rail ever connects the two cities as is planned for the relatively near future (I for one hope it works), then this will become a very distinct possibility. Commuting between the two would be far less bothersome without all that annoying traffic and highway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2010, 10:30 AM

2,742 posts, read 6,080,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmont View Post
If high speed rail ever connects the two cities as is planned for the relatively near future (I for one hope it works), then this will become a very distinct possibility. Commuting between the two would be far less bothersome without all that annoying traffic and highway.
The lone Star Rail District between both cities is planned.

Old 01-15-2010, 12:14 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,037,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
Would anyone really WANT this to happen?
NO. That would lead to Hill Country being destroyed. I wish the cities would grow eastern and try to keep the Triangle more concentrated.

Old 02-16-2010, 04:15 PM

580 posts, read 1,077,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX_LAX View Post
Are you saying that there are large areas of undevelopment between Austin and San Antonio?
Of course there are! I mean I haven't driven that way in at least a year, but I can't imagine they've developed the entire 80 miles by now, even at the rate they're going. Yeah they're small cities and highways along the way, it's by no means what I would call "developed." Hell, if I remember correctly there were still flat prairies in between!

Of course, I don't know how long that's going to last...

Old 02-16-2010, 04:29 PM

Well, apparently the latest revision of the Greater Austin Area is the so-called Austin-Round Rock-San Marcos MSA, so it already stretches halfway to San Antonio. Pound for pound, I don't think there's as much sprawl outside of SA's city limits, so a CSA of both metros wouldn't happen for quite some time, but I think it's definitely possible. Now I don't believe that both cities being in the same CSA necessarily means that there will be nothing but city from the ATX to SA, as is the case with the Metroplex. Dallas and Ft. Worth are much closer and there are much more cities in the region to facilitate growth. If anything, there could very well still be open small open areas between the sprawl that both cities would produce. At least, that's what I'm hoping. I'd hate for the beautiful scenery of the Hill Country to be ruined by urbanization. If anything, perhaps smart growth could be employed to build in such a way that the environment isn't hurt too badly.

Old 02-16-2010, 06:26 PM

I'd say another 15 years and it it can be a possibility. Miami counts 100 miles of coastline in their metro area of 5 million. San Antonio-Shertz-New Braunfels-San Marcos-Round-Rock equal about 100 miles and have close to 4 million people. There is about 300,000 people between San Antonio and Austin now, it could more than double in 15 years.
San Antonio has about 750,000 people outside the city limits, it does sprawl outside the proper. Austin has more or less the same amount outside the proper.

Old 02-16-2010, 06:33 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,801,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweethomeSanAntonio View Post
I'd say another 15 years and it it can be a possibility. Miami counts 100 miles of coastline in their metro area of 5 million. San Antonio-Shertz-New Braunfels-San Marcos-Round-Rock equal about 100 miles and have close to 4 million people. There is about 300,000 people between San Antonio and Austin now, it could more than double in 15 years.
San Antonio has about 750,000 people outside the city limits, it does sprawl outside the proper. Austin has more or less the same amount outside the proper.
But the difference is the Miami/South Florida Metro Area, is 100 miles of urbanization the WHOLE way through, from Northern Palm Beach County to Miami.

Old 02-16-2010, 06:40 PM

3,854 posts, read 4,817,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX_LAX View Post
Are you saying that there are large areas of undevelopment between Austin and San Antonio?
do cows count?

Old 02-16-2010, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
But the difference is the Miami/South Florida Metro Area, is 100 miles of urbanization the WHOLE way through, from Northern Palm Beach County to Miami.

True about Miami, and there is nearly 4 million along I-35 between San Antonio and Austin-Round Rock. The area will be comprable in 15 years, around 2025. Actually it could surpass 6 million in the six contigious counties of the San Antonio-Austin corridor.

Old 02-18-2010, 08:02 PM

So is this LSTAR rail line up and running already, or what's the status on it? I honestly haven't heard too much about it...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City