U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-16-2010, 04:19 PM

244 posts, read 402,155 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

I was offerred a job DC area for a new job with the Feds. I have been living in NYC for a bit. I wanted to know your views on the similarities/ differences between the two cities - specifically the international dating scene in the two cities. Being an immigrant myself, I have always dated women from other countries (Europe, South America etc.). I wanted to know if the DC area was comparable to NYC in terms of women from other countries. And what about the nightlife? Obviously NYC is better in all respects but wanted to get your opinions from people who have lived/ spent time in both cities.

Thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2010, 05:38 PM

457 posts, read 594,066 times
I think this is kind of a hard question to answer, it really depends on your preferences. Obviously, DC is a far smaller city. The city doesn't have the international trust funders that you will find in NY,LA, Miami. It's working/middle class immigrant population tends to be centered in the suburbs (with the exception of a couple small pockets of Latin Americans and Ethiopeans).

The city does however, have some very well educated, professional foreign nationals associated with the embassies/NGO/international organizations. They tend to come from wealth backgrounds, be cultured/intellectual/hard working and interested in "do gooder" causes/world affairs. In general, these people tend to be socialize in Georgetown/Dupont and the K street clubs. Like all yuppies in the DC area, they are at least as likely to live in the suburbs as the actual city.

Beyond the dating scene, you should think about whether or not you are ready to leave the NYC lifestyle behind. My experience has been that people who try to hold on to their NYC lifestyle in DC, end up hating the city. The ex-NY'er who tend to like it were either looking for a change of pace or really interested in politics/public policy.

DC is a good city and has a lot of things going for it. But, its strong points are different than NYC. Probably the best way to see if it is right for you is to come down for a weekend and try it out.

Last edited by Caymon83; 01-16-2010 at 05:51 PM..

Old 01-16-2010, 05:56 PM

244 posts, read 402,155 times
I've been there a couple of times - was disappointed by a coupe of nightclubs I went to (Fur was one of them). Too many people of one ethnicity (AA) - not what i am used to. Also i am big into clubs playing trace music.

Are there any good hangouts spots and nightclubs with a good international mix and trance/techno style music? Of course NYC is full of 'em.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City