Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: A city that holds infinite promise?
Columbus 77 52.38%
Charlotte 70 47.62%
Voters: 147. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2010, 10:30 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,295,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RudeBoy21 View Post
Im not trolling just calling you out on your post thats mis-informing other posters. My point is there common stores like walmart and target . Which doesnt make Columbus fashion Retail any different then say Mobile Alabama. Now Dont make me become a troll because I will ride this ride with you post too post if thats what you want...
What he is getting at is that Columbus is home to a lot of popular fashion lines (they got their start in Columbus and headquarters are there). Even the Gap has some operations on the southside of Columbus. There are a lot of very talented fashion oriented people from all over who live in Columbus that work at these headquarters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2010, 11:38 PM

1,374 posts, read 3,253,093 times

Old 01-21-2010, 12:15 AM

631 posts, read 1,227,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
What he is getting at is that Columbus is home to a lot of popular fashion lines (they got their start in Columbus and headquarters are there). Even the Gap has some operations on the southside of Columbus. There are a lot of very talented fashion oriented people from all over who live in Columbus that work at these headquarters.
Oh ok I understand you but, seriously Fashion capital??

Old 01-21-2010, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Oh ok I understand you but, seriously Fashion capital??
Ya I wouldnt go that far. "Fashion Capital" typically refers to internationally acclaimed fashion scenes.

But I'd say Columbus is the only city other than NYC and LA to have such a large fashion design presence. Miami is well known for bikini design too.

Old 01-21-2010, 12:23 AM

631 posts, read 1,227,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
Those attacking are infamous Atlanta posters! They will gang up on you in a heart beat! I've experienced the wrath!
No one is attacking no one. The Texas posters do the same thing. Dont play innocent.

Old 01-21-2010, 12:28 AM

Quote:
No one is attacking no one. The Texas posters do the same thing. Dont play innocent.
hehe i was just poking fun at some of our previous conversations.
easy there tiger

Old 01-21-2010, 07:39 AM

Reasonable "civility" at last ... Thank goodness! I'm off to re-visit the Chihuly exhibit at the Franklin Park Conservatory ... absolutely stunning!
Attached Thumbnails
Columbus or Charlotte? A Truthful Journey ...-chihuly.jpg  

Old 01-21-2010, 09:42 AM

7,845 posts, read 20,798,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDBaumgardner View Post
Reasonable "civility" at last ... Thank goodness! I'm off to re-visit the Chihuly exhibit at the Franklin Park Conservatory ... absolutely stunning!
Impressive! Columbus has such unique exhibits that no other city ever has!

Old 01-21-2010, 09:48 AM

7,074 posts, read 12,337,485 times
I'd have to say that Columbus's roads (freeway network) is light years ahead of Charlotte. That is the one thing that struck me the most when I lived near Columbus (Washington Court House). Also, Columbus's proximity to other interesting cities (ie Cincy, Cleveland, Dayton) beats Charlotte's proximity to Atlanta. Yes, Atlanta is MUCH larger than all of the aforementioned cities. However, quantity certainly is better than quality IMO. Here in the Carolinas, Charlotte really doesn't have a "peer city" the same way that Columbus has Cincy and Cleveland. If a person lives in Charlotte and wishes to "see the Carolinas" every city that person is forced to visit is smaller than Charlotte (hence the reason why many of us travel to GA for "fun"). Visiting cities that are smaller than the city one resides in gets old fast.

Which brings me to my next point. Eventhough Charlotte and Columbus are similarly sized cities, Charlotte plays the role of "Metropolis" in its respective region in ways that Columbus does not. IMO, this regional set up (lesser competition from peer cities) for Charlotte will lead to Charlotte becoming much larger than Columbus over the next 30 years. Being in the Sunbelt is also a plus for Charlotte looking into the future. In time (30 years or so), Charlotte will become more and more like present day Atlanta and Houston. 30 years from now, I'd say that Columbus may still be a metro of less than 3 million (which is NOT a bad thing at all).

With that said, it is not wise to judge what is happening in Charlotte today vs what is happening right now in Columbus. I know for a fact that Charlotte is doing everything possible to prepare for an additional 300,000 residents (over the next 20 years) just in the city limits alone. This influx of newcomers may never happen, but the city is preparing for them anyway (which is smart considering Charlotte's 160 year track record for growth). Columbus has little reason to prepare for rapid growth and will be a better planned city than Charlotte both now and well into the future IMO.

To sum things up, Columbus is historically larger and "more major" than Charlotte. Today, Charlotte's rapid growth (since 1850 btw) has caused Charlotte to catch up with the likes of Columbus. In time, Charlotte will pass cities like Columbus in terms of size and "major city" status. Anyone from Columbus that is wishing Charlotte won't "leap-frog" Columbus more than likely will not get their wish. Just remember that bigger does not always mean better. Size and population is just a way of grouping cities together.

As for the poll, I chose not to vote because I could easily live in either city and LOVE it.

Old 01-21-2010, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Impressive! Columbus has such unique exhibits that no other city ever has!
Yes, you would be correct, DeaconJ ... Columbus "does" indeed have unique exhibits that "no other cities have", thanks for pointing this out!
Here's a perfect example, a photo I snapped this past autumn in Columbus'
city centre ... quite enthralling, isn't it?
Attached Thumbnails
Columbus or Charlotte? A Truthful Journey ...-topiary-gardens-columbus-ohio.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City