Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: A city that holds infinite promise?
Columbus 77 52.38%
Charlotte 70 47.62%
Voters: 147. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 07:30 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,863,820 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeSoHood View Post
You mad?
You ghetto?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2010, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDBaumgardner View Post
Columbus and Charlotte share certain similarities, however I do NOT feel that Columbus needs to emulate Charlotte in any way whatsoever!
I can think of one very important way: Coleman Talks About Light Rail Request | NBC4i.com And how about more F500 companies, a busier airport, a higher GDP, etc.?

I think it's interesting that you think that Charlotte and Columbus are so similar and have proposed many ways in which Charlotte should emulate Columbus in past threads, but you "do NOT feel that Columbus needs to emulate Charlotte in any way whatsoever." The truth is that you feel that Charlotte is inferior to Columbus but won't come out and say it for whatever reason. I just hope this poll on CD provides the validation you're looking for in your city.

Old 01-18-2010, 07:55 PM

1,374 posts, read 3,254,520 times
I don't typically feel the need or desire to repeat myself often, but I will ...

"COLUMBUS DOES NOT NEED TO EMULATE CHARLOTTE"!!!

Hmmmmmmm, I attempted to have a more broad minded and decidedly less derogatory thread than those in the past ... it seems though, that the "Charlotteans" are hell bent on making this into a nasty, foul mouthed discussion.
Sorry, I'm NOT buying into what you're all selling here! Hmmmmmmmm ... it could be that there are
some hurt and even "surprised" feelings ... afterall, there's been quite a bit of positive feedback concerning COLUMBUS.
I guess you ( and others ) were not expecting that to be the case. "Seems like the shoe is on the other foot now", huh? LMAO

Last edited by JohnDBaumgardner; 01-18-2010 at 07:55 PM.. Reason: x

Old 01-18-2010, 07:59 PM

Oh, by the way ...

What's the big deal about the NBC 4 link? Nothing in the article defamed the great city of Columbus?
So, there's speculation and a proposal for light rail in my city ... in no way does that indicate that we're attempting to emulate or "catch up" with Charlotte ...??? Too funny

Old 01-18-2010, 08:14 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,803,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Does that matter? The growth in Charlotte is typical of the South... ticky tacky homes all in a row, built no better than a shoebox. I could not get over how garbage the new homes are in the South, its downright scary! And whats with the mega use of popcorn ceilings? UGH

Charlotte can grow all it wants, it sint making the city the slightest bit more interesting. Unlike Charlotte, Columbus is an interesting place, far more attractive to those who dont seek endless cookie-cutter neighborhoods. And Columbus is situated better in the country, its closer to other cities.
Mr. Baumgardner...I believe that I pointed out earlier where your "positive thread" went awry - and it wasn't due to any Charlotte members. The above post is to blame. Get it right.

Old 01-18-2010, 08:16 PM

Quote:
I don't typically feel the need or desire to repeat myself often, but I will ...

Hmmmmmmm, I attempted to have a more broad minded and decidedly less derogatory thread than those in the past ... it seems though, that the "Charlotteans" are hell bent on making this into a nasty, foul mouthed discussion.
Sorry, I'm NOT buying into what you're all selling here! Hmmmmmmmm ... it could be that there are
some hurt and even "surprised" feelings ... afterall, there's been quite a bit of positive feedback concerning COLUMBUS.
I guess you ( and others ) were not expecting that to be the case. "Seems like the shoe is on the other foot now", huh? LMAO
Your previous backhanded positivity in this thread is very transparent...but the above post is FAR from positive. Yes, the shoe is on the other foot - and it doesn't quite fit.

By the way, this is coming from a neutral member that lives in neither Columbus nor Charlotte...for whatever it's worth. Just sayin'...calling it like I see it.

Old 01-18-2010, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlottesWeb2 View Post
Doesn't matter where it started ... does it?
Why do others have to follow suit??
If somebody jumps from a cliff ... does everybody else "have" to do the same?
Completetly asinine!
I must add tho ... if I had to live in Charlotte again, I'd be tempted ... "to make that leap"
*******OUCH!
LOL
Yes...it does matter where it started. Period. I'm sorry if you disagree, but your reasons for it are painfully obvious. If it suited your opinion I'm pretty sure you would be ALL OVER where the problem orgininated. By the way, the OP is one of the main ones who "followed suit".

None of this matters to me, but don't act like locating the root of the problem isn't important.

Old 01-18-2010, 09:16 PM

Quote:

Dude, you are overly sensitive. Show me a post in this thread where a Charlottean spoke ill of Columbus. The person from Chicago is the one who put this thread on a negative track, and it appears as though you don't mind so long as you can pin the blame on Charlotteans. I don't feel the need to trash another city to defend my own at all, and I have not done so--nor have any other Charlotteans in this thread. If any have, please show me where. So we are not thrown off by positive comments about Columbus whatsoever.

Quote:
Oh, by the way ...

What's the big deal about the NBC 4 link? Nothing in the article defamed the great city of Columbus?
So, there's speculation and a proposal for light rail in my city ... in no way does that indicate that we're attempting to emulate or "catch up" with Charlotte ...??? Too funny
My point in posting that link was not to "defame" the city of Columbus, as much as you'd like a Charlottean to do that so you can play the poor, innocent victim. The point was to show that Columbus should emulate Charlotte (and other cities that have done so) in terms of implementing rail-based transit. A rapidly-growing city should seek to offer as many transit options as possible. Hopefully Columbus will jump on board with that sooner rather than later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBronx View Post
I must agree with the previous poster. I've lived in Charlotte and have conducted business in Columbus on numerous occasions.
On the surface, Charlotte seems to be more impressive overall, I guess it's all of those gleaming new
skyscrapers.
After having lived in Charlotte, seeing it go bust as it has, I would certainly lend more credence to a city like Columbus.
Columbus offers so many amenities and certainly it has a much more diversified economy than does
Charlotte.
It's really too bad, I think Charlotte is still a decent city, but .. it had pinned all of it's hopes on the banking industry. I should know, I lost my position with Wachovia and had to leave town.

Think of Detroit in the same terms - exact same scenario occurred there with the auto industry.
Firstly, Charlotte has not gone bust, although your job may have (and I'm sorry about that). Yes, it's been a bit rough here, but since the shakeup with the banks, we've had at least two mid-major corporate relocations (neither one banking related), more job announcements, and the possibility for a couple of other corporate relocations. We're proving that we're not just a good place for banking, but a good place for business, period. This is just the wake-up call we needed to further diversify our local economy.

And one visit to Detroit and one visit to Charlotte shows that the two are NOT the same. Now if we lost both banks and all those jobs, then yes--but that's not happening, far from it. Even with Wells Fargo acquisition of Wachovia, we still have thousands of those jobs here and will remain a regional headquarters for the bank. And of course, BOA will remain headquartered here.

Old 01-18-2010, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlottesWeb2 View Post
Here's my view on this saga -

I live in Charlotte and absolutely HATE it here!
The reasons being:

1.Horrendous traffic
2.Lack of bonafide culture, Chlt still retains much of the "Clampetts" culture
3.No true sense of community - everybody is from somewhere else ( including me )
4.Too much gang violence beginning to bring the city down
5.Ugly terrain - though the mountains to the east are awesome
6.WATER RESTRICTIONS - UGHH!
7.The whole bible belt syndrome - You're damned unless you're a BAPTIST!
8.Feels like just another "READY MADE" city - Assembly required
9.Lack of overall friendliness
10.THIS PLACE JUST SUCKS!

I've lived in other cities, including Columbus. I would choose Columbus easily over this "over hyped"
and "boom gone bust" city.
Thank God, my transfer back to Denver has finally gone through!
This is interesting. You just "happen" to jump in on this discussion, and as of now, you only have three posts. I wonder if your IP address would happen to "coincidentally" match up with someone else's here with a similar writing style and who has expressed similar disgust for Charlotte in the past. I wouldn't be surprised if that were the case. How about I tip someone off to investigate that, shall we?

Old 01-18-2010, 09:22 PM

I'm neither overly sensitive or poor, I'm very practical and wealthy! lol
Despite all of the ill feelings, the back and forth between Columbus and Charlotte in this thread ... these two cities shall remain viable cities in the future of America.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City