U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: If my employer wanted me to relocate, I would choose the following area...
Hampton Roads Area in Virginia 34 44.16%
Tampa Bay Area in Florida 43 55.84%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 08:39 PM

7,852 posts, read 11,981,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
That's the CSA...and Baltimore MSA is twice as far from Hampton Roads as D.C. Sorry, try again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2010, 08:40 PM

3,219 posts, read 3,724,958 times
Quote:
VA all the way. Better mass transit, better schools, more diverse, has 4 seasons, and just seems like a prety cool little metro area. It's population is almost identical to that of Milwaukee and it borders a huge mega-region (DC) just like we do.
Where is the mass transit? I've lived in HR many years and I hate to break it to you, but there is no mass transit! They're finally building a light rail in Norfolk, but there's so much infighting between the 7 cities that it doesn't go any where significant.

The summers here as on par with South Florida. Very humid and very hot. The winters are dry and although temperature wise not chilly, the dryness makes it seem worse.

We're 4 hours from DC. Not exactly a day trip.

Quote:
First of all, DC is home to 8 million people, while South Florida is only home to 5 million. It's definitely big, but I wouldn't call it mega.

Second, Tampa is much farther away from Miami than VA Beach is to DC. There's also a good 100 miles or so of Everglades between Naples and Miami, whereas the Richmond area is the midpoint between VA Beach and DC. Orlando is good for theme parks, but that's about it. There's a Busch Gardens in both Tampa and Williamsburg
DC is not home to 8 million people.

VA police are VERY careful with speed. Although there might be an additional 70ish miles between Miami and TB, at least in FL you can go faster.

353 posts, read 453,624 times
Quote:
First of all, DC is home to 8 million people, while South Florida is only home to 5 million. It's definitely big, but I wouldn't call it mega.

Second, Tampa is much farther away from Miami than VA Beach is to DC. There's also a good 100 miles or so of Everglades between Naples and Miami, whereas the Richmond area is the midpoint between VA Beach and DC. Orlando is good for theme parks, but that's about it. There's a Busch Gardens in both Tampa and Williamsburg
How far is baltimore from D.C.? an hour?

3 posts, read 156 times
I live in Richmond, so I'm nearby. I find the Hampton Roads area to be dismal, trashy and devoid of any real culture. I'd mos def go with the Tampa area over Hampton Roads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut1 View Post
Where is the mass transit? I've lived in HR many years and I hate to break it to you, but there is no mass transit! They're finally building a light rail in Norfolk, but there's so much infighting between the 7 cities that it doesn't go any where significant.

The summers here as on par with South Florida. Very humid and very hot. The winters are dry and although temperature wise not chilly, the dryness makes it seem worse.

We're 4 hours from DC. Not exactly a day trip.

DC is not home to 8 million people.

VA police are VERY careful with speed. Although there might be an additional 70ish miles between Miami and TB, at least in FL you can go faster.

Old 01-18-2010, 08:41 PM

2,950 posts, read 1,638,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
What difference does it make whether or not the land is inhabited or not? 201 vs 279 miles is only an hour difference.
If there's 100 miles of absolutely nothing in between 2 regions, then they hardly border one another, now do they? Conversely, there's continuous urban development all the way from Maryland to the NC border.

Old 01-18-2010, 08:41 PM

1,342 posts, read 2,112,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native17 View Post
How far is baltimore from D.C.? an hour?
30 min.

Old 01-18-2010, 08:42 PM

Quote:
If there's 100 miles of absolutely nothing in between 2 regions, then they hardly border one another, now do they? Conversely, there's continuous urban development all the way from Maryland to the NC border.
I'm sorry, but that just isn't true. Continuous development to the N.C. border? Give me a break.

Besides, what does the amount of sprawl between the two metros matter? You do understand that what you're bragging about is most definitely sprawl...right?

Old 01-18-2010, 08:42 PM

4,236 posts, read 5,459,366 times
Quote:
I understand that, what I don't understand is what difference does it make. It doesn't make getting from one to the other any harder.

Old 01-18-2010, 08:43 PM

1,342 posts, read 2,112,458 times
Quote:
Uh not really, but I would guess that depend on your definition of "continous."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City