U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Which state has better food?
California 152 68.16%
Georgia 71 31.84%
Voters: 223. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-22-2010, 11:56 AM
 
Location: New Orleans, United States
4,236 posts, read 5,743,921 times
Reputation: 1313
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I'm not tryin to say that we eat this every day. It maybe once a week or two at the most. Defintely on Sundays. Live a little. I do eat healthy, but I also have a day where I can go all out. Whether people thinks it's healthy or not, give me that list especially Sweet Potato Pie anyday.
If they want wheat germ biscuits with wheat grass gravy, then let them have it. To each their own .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-22-2010, 11:57 AM
 
Location: SF Bay Area
10,257 posts, read 13,421,897 times
Reputation: 5414
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
If you live near the farm you get the freshest food & California is a huge farm!
And they don't have local farms in GA where that is possible? Ca isn't the only state where you can get fresh food from a local farm which is why I find this whole argument that CA grows everything and how much it's worth completely irrelevant with regards to this locally grown, freshness argument.

Florida grows 75% of the nations' fruits and vegetables in winter and GA is a lot closer to FL than CA.

Quote:
No one said Mexican food is healthy. It is the staple for many people who eat unhealthy.
ditto on on the Southern food.
Quote:
But the average California has a lot more variety to cook good nutritious meals
How so if we are shipping everything we grow here elsewhere? You seriously assume way too much about what the AVERAGE Californians is eating like. The average Californian isn't some foodie eating the healthiest, most nutritious, freshest meal nor are they eating at Chez Pannisse or the French Laundry. They're eating like a lot of people all over the country. Just look around you at actual people rather than reading hype in food magazines and other publications. You seem to just be feeding off hype here.
Quote:
Just last November the voters passed regulations on how pigs\ chickens\ cows are cared for [bigger cages\ better feed\ humane conditions, etc.].
That probably wouldn't be needed if we didn't have such disgusting farming techniques with the corporate factory farms here. Look at WI and look how their cows are treated on average compared to ours, it's seems way more humane there. Happy cows don't come from CA b/c they're sitting in a pile of their own crap when you drive by on I-5.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2010, 11:58 AM
 
Location: Pasadena
7,413 posts, read 3,208,284 times
Reputation: 1802
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I'm not tryin to say that we eat this every day. It maybe once a week or two at the most. Defintely on Sundays. Live a little. I do eat healthy, but I also have a day where I can go all out. Whether people thinks it's healthy or not, give me that list especially Sweet Potato Pie anyday.
Of-course I agree. Personally I look forward to eating ice cream & do regularly if I am not dieting for wrestling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2010, 12:00 PM
 
Location: New Jersey
4,086 posts, read 4,935,911 times
Reputation: 2516
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
The relevance is very simple. You stated that Southern food is pretty much unhealthy. My point is that no region has a "lock" on unhealthy food, including your own with its ingrained diner culture. Hardly healthy, at all.

And you can get fries with brown gravy on them here too, thanks to all the transplants.
Disco fries are fries with brown gravy and cheese. I guess Atlantans leave the cheese off for whatever reason, or the transplants just have bad memory...

Anyway, the fact is that most southern food is very unhealthy. The few healthy items like collard greens, black-eyed peas, even grits are typically sides to or somehow mixed with something very bad for you. Like lard. Lots of lard in the southern cuisine. Or grits which they add lots of butter or cheese to. Or collard greens on the side with a main dish of fried steak or some other fatty, greasy meat. And it's all very delicious, no doubt about it, but it's artery clogging and extremely unhealthy.

In other states there is more balance and the unhealthy food isn't quite that bad. For example, pizza is not very healthy, but it's nowhere as unhealthy as battered/breaded deep fried beef steak.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2010, 12:03 PM
 
Location: Atlanta
7,732 posts, read 7,129,366 times
Reputation: 2774
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
No, not really. Jackson is Mississippi's biggest city. The suburbs of Jackson have somewhat of a selection of Lebanese, Greek, etc. but nothing like what you'd find in CA or NJ far from a big city. On the other hand, try going to Hattiesburg or Biloxi and finding Lebanese restaurants - it's a whole different story. But you'll find this kind of diversity in small cities like Fresno or Merced, CA or in New Brunswick or Paterson, NJ.

So, Jackson is a lot like Atlanta, it's the state's biggest city and their showcase city, but outside of such a city those states lack the diversity of a California.
I have a problem with part of this........NO place in New Jersey is far from a big city, certainly not New Brunswick or Paterson. Not a very fair comparison, at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2010, 12:05 PM
 
Location: Pasadena
7,413 posts, read 3,208,284 times
Reputation: 1802
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
And they don't have local farms in GA where that is possible? Ca isn't the only state where you can get fresh food from a local farm which is why I find this whole argument that CA grows everything and how much it's worth completely irrelevant with regards to this locally grown, freshness argument.

Florida grows 75% of the nations' fruits and vegetables in winter and GA is a lot closer to FL than CA.

ditto on on the Southern food.
How so if we are shipping everything we grow here elsewhere? You seriously assume way too much about what the AVERAGE Californians is eating like. The average Californian isn't some foodie eating the healthiest, most nutritious, freshest meal nor are they eating at Chez Pannisse or the French Laundry. They're eating like a lot of people all over the country. Just look around you at actual people rather than reading hype in food magazines and other publications. You seem to just be feeding off hype here.
That probably wouldn't be needed if we didn't have such disgusting farming techniques will the corporate factory farms here. Look at WI and look how their cows are treated on average compared to ours, it's seems way more humane their. Happy cows don't come from CA b/c they're sitting in a pile of their own crap when you drive by on I-5.
Please show data where Florida grows 75% of the nation's fruits & vegetables during winter. Georgia has a colder winter than most of California even though it is much further south [check the weather data if you don't believe me]. Grocery stores in California have fresher veggies\ fruit because the distance from the farm is short compared to the rest of the nation. Simple math.

I don't think the farm techniques differ much across the nation. In California there are more people who raised hell about it & why the state leads the nation in strict regulations concerning food. Too many generalizations in your arguments. Not enough facts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2010, 12:07 PM
 
Location: Atlanta
7,732 posts, read 7,129,366 times
Reputation: 2774
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
Disco fries are fries with brown gravy and cheese. I guess Atlantans leave the cheese off for whatever reason, or the transplants just have bad memory...

Anyway, the fact is that most southern food is very unhealthy. The few healthy items like collard greens, black-eyed peas, even grits are typically sides to or somehow mixed with something very bad for you. Like lard. Lots of lard in the southern cuisine. Or grits which they add lots of butter or cheese to. Or collard greens on the side with a main dish of fried steak or some other fatty, greasy meat. And it's all very delicious, no doubt about it, but it's artery clogging and extremely unhealthy.

In other states there is more balance and the unhealthy food isn't quite that bad. For example, pizza is not very healthy, but it's nowhere as unhealthy as battered/breaded deep fried beef steak.
What an absolute total load of crap, but hey - we all have our opinions, however wrong they may be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2010, 12:09 PM
 
Location: New Jersey
4,086 posts, read 4,935,911 times
Reputation: 2516
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
I have a problem with part of this........NO place in New Jersey is far from a big city, certainly not New Brunswick or Paterson. Not a very fair comparison, at all.
True. One of the things that makes NJ so great!

CA is a better comparison. As I said, if you go out to the smaller cities away from the big cities you will still find Mexican, Middle Eastern, and Asian food that are very good, not to mention In-N-Out burger, Carl's Jr., taco carts and trucks, and fresh produce right from the farm.

California really can't be beat. Although NJ comes close.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2010, 12:09 PM
 
Location: Atlanta
7,732 posts, read 7,129,366 times
Reputation: 2774
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
And they don't have local farms in GA where that is possible? Ca isn't the only state where you can get fresh food from a local farm which is why I find this whole argument that CA grows everything and how much it's worth completely irrelevant with regards to this locally grown, freshness argument.
We certainly do, and we have something that I know is shipped across the Country from here - Vidalia onions. One of a kind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2010, 12:10 PM
 
Location: New Jersey
4,086 posts, read 4,935,911 times
Reputation: 2516
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
What an absolute total load of crap, but hey - we all have our opinions, however wrong they may be.
It's not a load of crap and that's why all you can say is "what a load of crap"... But I do agree with you that you all have your opinions, however wrong they may be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top