U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Which state has better food?
California 153 68.30%
Georgia 71 31.70%
Voters: 224. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-22-2010, 04:44 PM
 
Location: Jacksonville,Florida
3,773 posts, read 6,985,114 times
Reputation: 1923

Advertisements

Quote:
500 variety of fruits and nuts



http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FodR1FQvlrY


This is in South Miami Dade in an area known as the Redlands or what people would recognize as Homestead
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-22-2010, 04:55 PM
 
Location: New Jersey
4,086 posts, read 5,098,913 times
Reputation: 2532
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
Your portrayal of dining habits is the South is laughable, at best.
What was laughable about it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
I'll just come out and say it - your diner food is HARDLY healthy, but it is celebrated and embraced up there as some kind of fantastic local culture.
What makes diners so great is the wide variety of food offered in them. While Disco fries might be a great late-night post-clubbing treat, the menus are varied and include a multitude of healthy options, from wraps and pitas to different salads and vegetarian options. Much of the Greek food common in diners is very healthy also. In addition to the healthy stuff there are plenty of eggs and taylor ham type things and burgers, fries, and other fried stuff. If you ever go to a diner in NJ just look around, you're likely to see plenty of people having Greek salads, fish, vegetarian wraps and other healthy options which the diners do very well. I'm a die-hard carnivore but even I need that NJ diner Greek salad every so often, they are that good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
Funny that someone from that region would find our far superior food so loathesome, but your own local very unhealthy diner food somehow escapes your wrath?

Talk about a double standard if there ever was one.
Again, it's not a double standard. I never said your southern food was "inferior" except in terms of how healthy it is. It's delicious food but the menu in a southern cuisine eatery is limited to mostly unhealthy items, delicious as they may be.

In NJ we have plenty of unhealthy, delicious food but a lot of it isn't all that bad (like pizza, bagels, Italian food) and we have plenty of good healthy food (like our excellent seafood or Jersey produce).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2010, 04:58 PM
 
Location: SF Bay Area
10,402 posts, read 13,940,611 times
Reputation: 5561
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
I know that coconut palms can grow in California but I don't think they produce nuts. Mangoes grow in California but I don't think there are farm orchards. Grapes do grow outside California & fairly well in states like Oregon & Washington. But the variety & quality of grapes [both for eating & for wine] in California can not be matched in any other state. That is another thing I would expect a Californian to know [why don't you know that?]. Agriculture is the biggest industry in California & there is no where else inside the U.S. or the world that grows the amount of crops grown here. Frankly, as a Californian you should be embarrassed by your lack of knowledge [no offense just stating facts].
Where did I claim the quality and variety of grapes found in CA can be found elsewhere? All I said is grapes can grow outside of CA in humid climates, that is all. I NEVER claimed that other places offered the same variety or quality as Ca and you keep making up crap that I never said or suggested. Seriously, a little reading comprehension goes a long way here.

I agree there is nowhere else in the nation that grows what CA does overall and I NEVER claimed otherwise. The world I'm not sure and neither are you but yet come of like you know it all. Other areas of the world have Ca's climate so technincally they can grow anything we can here, whether they actually do or not is a different story. And lets not forget that we wouldn't be what we are w/o extensive irrigation, so it's not like this is natural we are growing so much stuff. I know you think you're giving me information that I don't know, but you aren't. You haven't said a single thing that I was not already aware of, you just keep interpreting my posts wrong. Must be those SoCal schools....

Trust me, your exaggerations, lack of experiance, lack of traveling outside of CA, assumptions you make about other places, generalizations, stereotypes, and homerism etc.. is extremely embarrassing to this Californian. It's no wonder people think some Californians are so arrogant and full of it b/c I have to agree some def are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2010, 05:00 PM
 
Location: New Jersey
4,086 posts, read 5,098,913 times
Reputation: 2532
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
California is not the unique snowflake you seem to think it is. Every state has farmer's markets where those same types of items can be found. Most big cities have Whole Foods or Trader Joe's as well as local organic grocers and co-ops.
Trader Joe's is from California. The culture of shops like TJ's is from California as are most of the organic and health-food trends in this nation. Even sushi started out as a Californian trend due to their high populations of Japanese.

California is hard to beat by any state when it comes to food, but for certain Georgia isn't even in the running. Not even close. It's like a one-legged, Georgian hound dog racing a Hollywood movie star's Maserati.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2010, 05:04 PM
 
Location: Pasadena
7,413 posts, read 3,485,187 times
Reputation: 1802
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Where did I claim the quality and variety of grapes found in CA can be found elsewhere? All I said is grapes can grow outside of CA in humid climates, that is all. I NEVER claimed that other places offered the same variety or quality as Ca and you keep making up crap that I never said or suggested. Seriously, a little reading comprehension goes a long way here.

I agree there is nowhere else in the nation that grows what CA does overall and I NEVER claimed otherwise. The world I'm not sure and neither are you but yet come of like you know it all. Other areas of the world have Ca's climate so technincally they can grow anything we can here, whether they actually do or not is a different story. And lets not forget that we wouldn't be what we are w/o extensive irrigation, so it's not like this is natural we are growing so much stuff. I know you think you're giving me information that I don't know, but you aren't. You haven't said a single thing that I was not already aware of, you just keep interpreting my posts wrong. Must be those SoCal schools....

Trust me, your exaggerations, lack of experiance, lack of traveling outside of CA, assumptions you make about other places, generalizations, stereotypes, and homerism etc.. is extremely embarrassing to this Californian. It's no wonder people think some Californians are so arrogant and full of it b/c I have to agree some def are.
Thanks for your insult again. If that is an example of a sophisticated Californian then you are the embarrassment not me. Are you sure you live in California? Also, learning to spell would greatly improve your credibility.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2010, 05:19 PM
 
Location: New Jersey
4,086 posts, read 5,098,913 times
Reputation: 2532
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
Thanks for your insult again. If that is an example of a sophisticated Californian then you are the embarrassment not me. Are you sure you live in California? Also, learning to spell would greatly improve your credibility.
I'm more of a Californian than that guy, and I live in Jersey! lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2010, 05:23 PM
 
Location: SF Bay Area
10,402 posts, read 13,940,611 times
Reputation: 5561
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
I'm more of a Californian than that guy, and I live in Jersey! lol
Most Californians aren't such extreme homers like some of the people on here, if you had ever lived here you might actually realize that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2010, 05:26 PM
 
Location: New Jersey
4,086 posts, read 5,098,913 times
Reputation: 2532
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Most Californians aren't such extreme homers like some of the people on here, if you had ever lived here you might actually realize that.
I've never lived there other than for long business trips. I have family there, all over - Fresno, Bay Area, all over L.A...

Anyway I was just kidding around. I don't know who the homers or whatnot are...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2010, 05:26 PM
 
672 posts, read 972,252 times
Reputation: 481
Let's settle this with a facts based analysis.

Here's are the most recent lists of highlights on CA's agricultural economy. It's a virtual tour-de-force. Please let us know where you think we're lacking (other than humility), and I'll promise to be fair and unbiased. Let's hear it.

http://www.cdfa.ca.gov/statistics/fi...Brochure09.pdf
http://www.cdfa.ca.gov/statistics/files/CDFA_Sec2.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2010, 06:09 PM
 
2,353 posts, read 607,980 times
Reputation: 538
Yeah CA is pretty tough to beat. And even WA and OR are much better than GA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top