U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Which state has better food?
California 153 68.30%
Georgia 71 31.70%
Voters: 224. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2010, 10:23 PM

3,773 posts, read 6,932,399 times

Advertisements

This might have been a better thread if it was L.A. cuisine vs. Atlanta cuisine or who had better restaurants or something of that nature.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2010, 10:47 PM

2,958 posts, read 3,710,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
I was comparing locally grown in GA vs locally grown in CA, for people buying either I don't see how one automatically has greater quality than the other. I think on a strictly local level the playing field is even when it comes to quality and freshness, just probably not variety for others states.

But some people on here imo were acting like that if it comes from CA then it's of higher quality, organic, healthier, etc.. than anywhere else, which is definitely not the case at all. Other states have more organic farms per capita than. I guess that is what happens when we try to generalize about a state as large as CA, you just can't. We seem to have the best AND worst of many things.

I love the food and the food culture in CA, I just felt some people were giving it a little too much credit for some things and not giving GA enough credit for some things as well.
I completely agree with all of this. I don't see how lettuce that is grown and consumed locally in CA is any fresher or by rule any higher quality than the exact same thing grown and consumed in GA, and vice versa (unless there is something I'm unaware of that causes either one to be true ). I don't think that's where CA's strength in this department would even lie. If anything it would have to be the abundance, variety and availability of quality produce throughout the state, and even then I can neither deny nor proclaim CA being superior as I don't know how abundant quality farmers markets and such are in GA. I can only really give CA the edge in overall production b/c I know that CA is definitely ahead there.

And you put it perfectly with the underlined part above. CA has a lot of almost everything (food-wise and beyond), and there is plenty of bad to go along with all the good. It can be very tough to generalize b/c what is true in one part could be completely untrue in another. Just like how Thanksgiving-like, calorie-rich Southern cooking is not all there is to eat in the South. I'm sure GA does have a lot more to offer than some people are giving it credit for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Anyways, I'm off to Chick-Fil-A right now, so thank you Georgia for that.
Ha, that's one thing we can definitely thank GA for! I wish we had more of them here in CA. I didn't even know there were any in SD now; hopefully more will open up. As of now I only get to have it when I pass thru Fairfield or when I go to VA lol. Chick Fil-A is easily one of my favorite fast food chains and its really the only one I like a lot that I don't have easy access to.

Old 01-22-2010, 11:01 PM

2,353 posts, read 585,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noland123 View Post
This might have been a better thread if it was L.A. cuisine vs. Atlanta cuisine or who had better restaurants or something of that nature.
Still no contest.

Old 01-22-2010, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Great post!

There is one thing I can confirm for you, Cali definitely has better Filipino restaurants. There are probably 3 or 4 places in Atlanta you can get some real lutong pinoy, with nothing else around the state. Then again, there are only 40,000 Filipinos in Georgia. So there Cali, you win in the Filipinos food category. Happy?
Lol. That's actually a larger number of Filipinos in GA than I would have guessed; I thought there was a larger Laotian and Viet presence there and that there weren't all that many Filipinos (at least according to a Laotian friend of mine from SC about 10 years ago lol ). So that's still better than I would have assumed.

Quote:
Indian We can go toe to toe. There is a large Indian population in Georgia centered around Atlanta and there are some high quality restaurants here. I worked for a while in India so I know the good stuff from the bad.
Hawaiian
Thai We can go toe to toe. There are lot of traditional Thai restaurants.
Burmese
Vietnamese We can go toe to toe. Literally hundreds of Vietnamese restaunts in Atlanta. Just had some Pho for dinner tonight
Chinese I'll give the edge to Cali, but we have some really great Chinese cuisine here from all the regions of China.
Taiwanese
Japanese Again, I'll give the edge to Cali, but we have some great Japanese restaurants here that rank up there with some of the best, with the exception of fresh seafood. That's one thing Atlanta suffers from being so far inland, and Georgia's only costal major city (Savannah) isn't big on Japanese cuisine.
Korean Nope, we can go toe to toe. Georgia (primarily Atlanta) is a top destination for native Korean immigrants now. Whole sections of the Northeast side of the inner metro are now Korean filled with any kind of Korean cuisine you can wish for.
Samoan
Tongan

And to just get an idea of how many culinary choices there are in just Atlanta, check out this site: The Blissful Glutton. Keep in mind the reviewer has probably only reviewed a few hundred restaurants around Atlanta. That's not even putting Savannah into the mix, which has great Low Country and Contemporary American scene.
Yeah I think people might be underestimating GA quite a bit. I think CA will probably edge it out in the areas you've indicated, but I don't think it will necessarily be the blowout many people might assume it would be. If there's a decent-sized population of any ethnic group present then it is likely there will be at least SOME really good food of theirs to be found. Vietnamese I would have guessed would be good in parts of GA, but Indian I didn't know about.

I'd love to hear some people's take on Korean food in each state. Particularly vs. what's in LA's Koreatown b/c I was really impressed by my one and only meal down there. If GA/ATL has Korean that compares I'd be really impressed, b/c I don't think most of what exists in NorCal compares to what I had in LA. Thai might be a tough one to tangle with LA in too b/c it does have the largest concentration of Thais in the US in Thai Town, but you never know. There are 3 excellent Thai restaurants within a mile of where I live that I consider to have the best Thai food I've tried and I'm nowhere near Hollywood, so GA has as good a shot as anyone at having great Thai food IMO.

Old 01-22-2010, 11:29 PM

2,251 posts, read 1,903,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rah View Post
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say California probably beats Georgia in more food categories than just Filipino...food such as:

Mexican
Salvadoran
Nicaraguan
Guatemalan
Peruvian
Indian
Hawaiian
Thai
Burmese
Vietnamese
Chinese
Taiwanese
Japanese
Korean
Samoan
Tongan
I just thought about something yall are using foreign countries cuisines as California cuisine in California, vs. Georgia. While Georgia is using southern cuisines which is actually a product of southern traditions which Georgia is in the south, Yall canít compare southern cooking a centuries in the making tradition with in Georgia and along with the rest of the south, to foreign cuisines with no Californian style. Pizza is Italian or Spanish but thereís Chicago style Pizza so Chicago can claim that style, while Italy and Spain canít claim at least that style of pizza, is there Californian style curry? All the cuisines you listed you can get that in Georgia also, there more of it in California well California has a larger population yall should, but that still not Californian style food that foreign countries cuisines in California until yall put a twist on it.

Old 01-22-2010, 11:39 PM

6,533 posts, read 6,784,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman650 View Post
Lol. That's actually a larger number of Filipinos in GA than I would have guessed; I thought there was a larger Laotian and Viet presence there and that there weren't all that many Filipinos (at least according to a Laotian friend of mine from SC about 10 years ago lol ). So that's still better than I would have assumed.
Yeah, 10 years ago I would say that Viets (along with a lot of other resettled people here from Cambodia and Laos) and Desis here than anyone else, with a very small but strong Chinese and Japanese community (I'm half japanese myself so I met all of them. LOL)

In the last decade though, Filipinos and Koreans (ESPECIALLY Koreans) have been coming in droves. Eventually Koreans will probably be the biggest asian group here, for now it's Indians, but I would say there are way more Southeast Asian eateries than anything else in Atlanta.

Note: I'm specifically ignoring fake American-Chinese places. We do have a lot of quality Cantonese, Szechuan, and Nothern chinese restaurants and bakeries here.

Quote:
Yeah I think people might be underestimating GA quite a bit. I think CA will probably edge it out in the areas you've indicated, but I don't think it will necessarily be the blowout many people might assume it would be. If there's a decent-sized population of any ethnic group present then it is likely there will be at least SOME really good food of theirs to be found. Vietnamese I would have guessed would be good in parts of GA, but Indian I didn't know about.
I think that's what it comes down to. There are a lot of people on CD who are too immature to even know what real good food is. It's easy to say "We have two restaurants with three Michelin stars." How often will most people be even able to afford to eat in such a place? It's a straw man argument IMHO. Talking about that....

Quote:
I'd love to hear some people's take on Korean food in each state. Particularly vs. what's in LA's Koreatown b/c I was really impressed by my one and only meal down there. If GA/ATL has Korean that compares I'd be really impressed, b/c I don't think most of what exists in NorCal compares to what I had in LA. Thai might be a tough one to tangle with LA in too b/c it does have the largest concentration of Thais in the US in Thai Town, but you never know. There are 3 excellent Thai restaurants within a mile of where I live that I consider to have the best Thai food I've tried and I'm nowhere near Hollywood, so GA has as good a shot as anyone at having great Thai food IMO.
I'll grant that San Fran and Napa Valley hold a special place in American Haute Cuisine in all varieties that really the only place that can compete is NYC. BUT Atlanta cuisine has advanced so much in the last 15 years that I would say that it's top restaurants and street level eatiers can easily go toe-to-toe with LA restaurants in quality. I would hope that since LA has twice the population of Atlanta it would beat us in quantity.

For watchers of the American culinary scene for the last few years, there is no doubt that some of the most exciting chefs have been coming out of Atlanta recently. However, I won't try to be arrogant and say that we're better. Just that LA and Atlanta can easily compete against each other, with blurred winners in different categories.

BTW, thanks for keeping positive jman650

Old 01-22-2010, 11:43 PM

6,533 posts, read 6,784,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
I just thought about something yall are using foreign countries cuisines as California cuisine in California, vs. Georgia. While Georgia is using southern cuisines which is actually a product of southern traditions which Georgia is in the south, Yall canít compare southern cooking a centuries in the making tradition with in Georgia and along with the rest of the south, to foreign cuisines with no Californian style. Pizza is Italian or Spanish but thereís Chicago style Pizza so Chicago can claim that style, while Italy and Spain canít claim at least that style of pizza, is there Californian style curry? All the cuisines you listed you can get that in Georgia also, there more of it in California well California has a larger population yall should, but that still not Californian style food that foreign countries cuisines in California until yall put a twist on it.
+1

I didn't want to say it, but I've been trying really hard to figure out if California has a homegrown cuisine. You can list off all of these different ethnic eateries, but the best type of those restaurants will always be found in their home countries. Contrast this with Georgia that has a unique cuisine that cannot be found anywhere on earth outside the American South except for in cheap imitations.

Honest question Californians with no bias or condescension: What exactly is California cuisine?

Old 01-23-2010, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
I just thought about something yall are using foreign countries cuisines as California cuisine in California, vs. Georgia. While Georgia is using southern cuisines which is actually a product of southern traditions which Georgia is in the south, Yall can’t compare southern cooking a centuries in the making tradition with in Georgia and along with the rest of the south, to foreign cuisines with no Californian style. Pizza is Italian or Spanish but there’s Chicago style Pizza so Chicago can claim that style, while Italy and Spain can’t claim at least that style of pizza, is there Californian style curry? All the cuisines you listed you can get that in Georgia also, there more of it in California well California has a larger population yall should, but that still not Californian style food that foreign countries cuisines in California until yall put a twist on it.
Well see that was exactly my point earlier. I don't even know what California cuisine is. There are chefs that cook things "California style," and there is a ton of culinary influence coming out of California, but to me CA cuisine is what I've eaten my whole life. I can't identify any dishes that I would call "traditional Californian." So there really isn't any direct comparison between Southern dishes and CA dishes that I can think of. California chefs are known for being really innovative and taking risks more traditional style chefs don't usually take, but other than that I couldn't tell you what exactly would qualify as CA cuisine to the average Californian.

But regardless, the whole discussion was about which state has better food overall, not which state has the better indigenous style of cooking. If it were the latter GA would win hands down and I don't even think it would be a contest. I'm not really sure CA would be in the running in that sense. All the food that is available/offered in each state I believe is what we are/should be trying to compare here.

Old 01-23-2010, 05:15 AM

Quote:
It's easy to say "We have two restaurants with three Michelin stars." How often will most people be even able to afford to eat in such a place? It's a straw man argument IMHO. Talking about that....
Lol seriously!

Quote:
I'll grant that San Fran and Napa Valley hold a special place in American Haute Cuisine in all varieties that really the only place that can compete is NYC. BUT Atlanta cuisine has advanced so much in the last 15 years that I would say that it's top restaurants and street level eatiers can easily go toe-to-toe with LA restaurants in quality. I would hope that since LA has twice the population of Atlanta it would beat us in quantity.

For watchers of the American culinary scene for the last few years, there is no doubt that some of the most exciting chefs have been coming out of Atlanta recently. However, I won't try to be arrogant and say that we're better. Just that LA and Atlanta can easily compete against each other, with blurred winners in different categories.
I agree. Some of the best chefs on the last couple seasons of the show Top Chef have come from Atlanta, and it sounds like there are some really amazing restaurants out that way. I don't see why the various types of ethnic cuisine available out there wouldn't be quality as well.

Quote:
BTW, thanks for keeping positive jman650
No doubt! I'd rather just discuss things like adults and not take unnecessary swipes at one another.

Quote:
I didn't want to say it, but I've been trying really hard to figure out if California has a homegrown cuisine. You can list off all of these different ethnic eateries, but the best type of those restaurants will always be found in their home countries. Contrast this with Georgia that has a unique cuisine that cannot be found anywhere on earth outside the American South except for in cheap imitations.

Honest question Californians with no bias or condescension: What exactly is California cuisine?
I have no clue lol. I suppose anything we have that is non-ethnic, American fine dining would qualify. Like Michael Mina or Bottega or French Laundry and the like. But many of these places take influence from many other cultures. I guess it has to be the culmination of whatever culinary influences have come through here, kind of like how they have in the past in Southern cooking. But I couldn't give you an example of a dish that I consider to be truly "Californian." Maybe someone else can?

Old 01-23-2010, 05:28 AM

594 posts, read 983,994 times
Quote:
+1

excellent question.

California cuisine is heavy on avocado, organic produce, olive oil, fresh seafood, no preservatives...It definitely has a very particular taste and feel.

Here is a description of a famous california cuisine restaurant, Chez Panisse:

"Alice and Chez Panisse are convinced that the best-tasting food is organically and locally grown and harvested in ways that are ecologically sound by people who are taking care of the land for future generations. The quest for such ingredients has always determined the restaurantís cuisine. Since 1971, Chez Panisse has invited diners to partake of the immediacy and excitement of vegetables just out of the garden, fruit right off the branch, and fish straight out of the sea. In doing so, Chez Panisse has established a network of nearby suppliers who, like the restaurant, are striving for both environmental harmony and delicious flavor."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City